News Article: AHL West Official Announcement Set for Thursday

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
AHL West Official Announcement Set for Thursday

At Sunday’s AHL Board of Governors meeting in upstate New York, a vote was taken to finalize the plan to create an AHL West division first reported on MayorsManor last spring. All parties were sworn to silence regarding the closed door discussion. However, we have learned that relocation vote set to move five AHL clubs to California was approved, and the league’s full plan is expected to be announced at a press conference held in San Jose on Thursday.

Deserves its own thread.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Big news, I am sorry for the East Coast King's fans. But it will be really nice to have the Monarchs on the West coast. My wallet thanks the Kings as well.

TKFAN

Dec 3, 2006
New Hampshire
Big news, I am sorry for the East Coast King's fans. But it will be really nice to have the Monarchs on the West coast. My wallet thanks the Kings as well.

Being Monarchs season ticket holders since day one, we are being selfish saying we hate to see the team head west, but it's certainly best for the Kings. The Monarchs front office folks contacted me a couple weeks ago indicating the Reign were coming to Manch. They actually tried to convince me that there is no difference between the ahl and the echl, have no idea what the ticket reps have been smoking. Said ticket prices would be reduced a lot, guess that will bring some people into the arena, but we won't be some of them.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
What is their schedule like for game, is it strickly weekends?

Currently, the AHL schedule is almost always Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights with the odd Wednesday games mixed in. Rarely are games played on the other three days of the week.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
What is their schedule like for game, is it strickly weekends?

Breakdown of the entire AHL schedule for 2015:

| DOW | Count |
+-----------+-------+
| Monday | 10 |
| Tuesday | 71 |
| Wednesday | 137 |
| Thursday | 29 |
| Friday | 339 |
| Saturday | 372 |
| Sunday | 182 |

And, for grins and giggles, for the Monarchs home schedule:

| DOW | Count |
+-----------+-------+
| Friday | 12 |
| Saturday | 15 |
| Sunday | 8 |
| Wednesday | 3 |
+-----------+-------+

To compare, here's the breakdown of the ECHL Ontario Reign's schedule this season:
| DOW | Count |
+-----------+-------+
| Friday | 8 |
| Saturday | 9 |
| Sunday | 6 |
| Tuesday | 3 |
| Wednesday | 10 |

I'm not sure if the arena managers at Citizen's Business Bank Arena (the Reign's home arena) will open more weekend dates for the AHL Reign -- because I think AEG manages that arena themselves. The ECHL Reign's schedule breakdown is not typical -- overall the ECHL has the same Friday/Saturday skew that the AHL has.

For comparison, the NHL is far more concentrated on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday concentrations of games.

Last edited:

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Where in California will the Monarchs play?

As CNS suggested, a click on a link and a couple minutes of reading would reveal that.

That said, before there's a blizzard of people jumping in who haven't been following this whole thing, here's what's been reported (though not yet officially confirmed by the AHL, as CNS's link stated):

EDMONTON: Bakersfield (existing ECHL team moving to Norfolk)
CALGARY: Stockton (existing ECHL team being swapped with AHL Adirondack)
SAN JOSE: San Jose (sharing the SAP Center with the big Sharks on what's expected to be a 1-3 year solution until the Sharks practice rink is expanded as the AHL team's new "permanent" home)
ANAHEIM: San Diego
LOS ANGELES: Ontario (existing ECHL team being swapped with AHL Manchester)

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Being Monarchs season ticket holders since day one, we are being selfish saying we hate to see the team head west, but it's certainly best for the Kings. The Monarchs front office folks contacted me a couple weeks ago indicating the Reign were coming to Manch. They actually tried to convince me that there is no difference between the ahl and the echl, have no idea what the ticket reps have been smoking. Said ticket prices would be reduced a lot, guess that will bring some people into the arena, but we won't be some of them.

Yeah, even with the Kings affiliation I can't see myself making the trip to Manchester to see an ECHL team.

I'm gonna start going to college hockey games. We got some good ones here with Quinnipiac and Yale. And Uconn just joined hockey east. For those who follow college hockey. Who do you think has the best program? Out of those 3.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
readImage

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
This is seriously jacking with my rooting mojo -- Anaheim's prospects will be playing in the arena I first held hockey season tickets in, so of course they'll be my home team, and the team I will root for. But in EVERY OTHER GAME, I'll of course continue my rooting interest in Ontario -- I've headed up for a game a season or so since we lost the ECHL Gulls. Bah, I feel like I'm about to short circuit like a bad 70s sci-fi android...

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I can't wait. The Ontario arena is 10 min from my house I will enjoy watching our youngsters I just hope they play home when the Kings are on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00