AHL to cut 10 games from schedule?

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
I've been saying for a while that not only is an AHL Pacific Division going to eventually happen, but I've said they will reduce the schedule as well. I've heard that it could be reduced to 68 games, but more likely will be a 72-game schedule. Now, it sounds like they are discussing going to a 66-game schedule.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/hockeyozone/2015/01/12/ahl-schedule-will-shrink/21650405/

I have no problem with a 72 game schedule, but 66 gams? That's really cutting it back. I don't like it.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
What I dont like is hockey in June. I like hockey from Oct to May at the latest. Hockey should not be competing with baseball for fans twice in a season, especially heading towards summer. Hockey is a fall and winter game, I dont care for the game after Memorial Day weekend. Plenty warm enough for playoff hockey in April and into early or mid May. Three in three weekends is also absurd, reduce the midweek games to either only Wed or Thurs nights and allow for travel and rest for busy weekend schedules. Players will be better rested, their bodies less banged up, less stress, should translate into an overall better product and better schedule. That of course is my opinion, I am sure Canadian based fans wont like it. Come June I wanna be outside enjoying baseball, likewise come October I am ready for hockey and not baseball lol. I would even go for a 35/35 for 75 game format.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
What I dont like is hockey in June. I like hockey from Oct to May at the latest. Hockey should not be competing with baseball for fans twice in a season, especially heading towards summer. Hockey is a fall and winter game, I dont care for the game after Memorial Day weekend. Plenty warm enough for playoff hockey in April and into early or mid May. Three in three weekends is also absurd, reduce the midweek games to either only Wed or Thurs nights and allow for travel and rest for busy weekend schedules. Players will be better rested, their bodies less banged up, less stress, should translate into an overall better product and better schedule. That of course is my opinion, I am sure Canadian based fans wont like it. Come June I wanna be outside enjoying baseball, likewise come October I am ready for hockey and not baseball lol. I would even go for a 35/35 for 75 game format.

Well said. 72 games would be about right. 66 is less or the same as Canadian Jrs play. Have season end by middle of May at latest.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think they will try 72 first, sounds like they want to eliminate the weekday games before Xmas cause they loose money on them..

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Is this going to end up like the last round of cuts where the AHL wanted to eliminate 4 games in 5 night scenarios, but suddenly more 3 in 3 weekends populated the schedule?

I'd rather they book the same team on the weekend in an effort to save travel costs. And/or make "travel partners."
Some of the NCAA scheduling quirks could be used to the AHL's advantage.

Not looking forward to playing Rockford/Milwaukee as 3/4 of the Chicago schedule though. :rolleyes:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

Then don't watch hockey at all. The NHL isn't ccutting its schedule. The European leagues start in August/ September and end in February/March.

Is this going to end up like the last round of cuts where the AHL wanted to eliminate 4 games in 5 night scenarios, but suddenly more 3 in 3 weekends populated the schedule?

I'd rather they book the same team on the weekend in an effort to save travel costs. And/or make "travel partners."
Some of the NCAA scheduling quirks could be used to the AHL's advantage.

Not looking forward to playing Rockford/Milwaukee as 3/4 of the Chicago schedule though. :rolleyes:

Lets just cut the schedule to 50 - 55 games, division only play. 3 divisions of 10 teams each. The division winners get playoff seeds 1 through 3 and the rest of the teams are seeded based upon records of 4 through 16. So what if you can lose out of a playoff spot if you have 3 really crappy teams in a division, like Albany, that barely win and you can rack up points that way?

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
72 games like the ECHL would be good (at least 6-8 games against the same division).

I think at one point we will see 4 divisions of 8 teams like the NHL wants to do.

8 games against the other 7 teams in your division = 56
2 games against 8 teams of the other division of your conference = 16

56+16=72

East vs West would only play in the final

Last edited:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
72 games like the ECHL would be good (at least 6-8 games against the same division).

I think at one point we will see 4 divisions of 8 teams like the NHL wants to do.

56+16=72

Or how about 6 games against everyone else in your division
2 games against everyone else in the other division in your conference
2 games against one division in the other conference alternating every year. (Pacific vs Northeast, Midwest vs Mideast even years and Pacific vs Mideast and Midwest vs Northeast in the odd years.

To be honest, the past 7 years or so it sucks seeing the same darn opponent 5-6+ times in house and 10 to 12+ times total.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
2 games against one division in the other conference alternating every year. (Pacific vs Northeast, Midwest vs Mideast even years and Pacific vs Mideast and Midwest vs Northeast in the odd years.

To be honest, the past 7 years or so it sucks seeing the same darn opponent 5-6+ times in house and 10 to 12+ times total.
I think you might be disappointed. If anything I fully expect that we will see more of the same teams. I also expect to see the same team on consecutive nights as the AHL moves to a baseball style schedule to further reduce travel cost.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I think you might be disappointed. If anything I fully expect that we will see more of the same teams. I also expect to see the same team on consecutive nights as the AHL moves to a baseball style schedule to further reduce travel cost.

Which is why, to be honest, I really do not go to the AHL games anymore. I donate most of my tickets. Boring as heck hockey is what the AHL has become which is why I actually like the ECHL more and I can understand why the AHL attendance has been in steady decline and some fans are NHL or nothing.

Personally I would much rather watch the DEL or SEL as well but unfortunately I do not get the videos of those games.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008

Ahh. A sensible scheduling format. Something we'll never see in the AHL. :(

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
1- The schedule that makes the least sense will be adopted.

2- Saving on travel costs= fewer nights in hotels. For example Albany home on Friday, bussing to Portland for a Saturday night game, then back home afterwards. Not bussing to Portland on a Thursday after practice for a Friday night game, then staying until after the game Saturday. That would probably boos attendance as well because casual fans are more likely to go to one game a week tops.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area

56+16=72

This would only be feasible IF the dividing line between East and West is very logical and obvious. Look at the conference breakout today in New York state. How crazy would it be to mandate that Syracuse and Utica can't play each other unless it's the Cup Finals, but Utica has to play 8-10 games in California? (I would give the Albany/Adirondack example, too, but that's likely a non-issue next season.)

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
7 years?! For some of us it's been a lot longer than that.

I remember Bruce Landon "apologizing" for the lack of balance in the schedule (playing fewer teams but more frequently) after it was announced one summer, saying it was only a temporary situation due to increasing travel costs.

The SPRINGFIELD INDIANS schedule.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Then don't watch hockey at all. The NHL isn't ccutting its schedule. The European leagues start in August/ September and end in February/March.

Lets just cut the schedule to 50 - 55 games, division only play. 3 divisions of 10 teams each. The division winners get playoff seeds 1 through 3 and the rest of the teams are seeded based upon records of 4 through 16. So what if you can lose out of a playoff spot if you have 3 really crappy teams in a division, like Albany, that barely win and you can rack up points that way?

Umm, no I dont think so. I will watch hockey whenever I choose to watch it, and if I state my opinion (my right to do so) regarding a general topic which you dont share my opinion which others might do, I really dont care what the NHL does as we are speaking of the AHL schedule. Not the schedule of the NHL (I dont watch NHL hockey very often) and not the European Leagues of which I have no interest as I dont live in Europe. Your reply is pointless, but you can keep your suggestion of when I should watch hockey to yourself, that is my choice and my opinion. Just as its my opinion I would enjoy a shorter schedule not into June, and believe the product would be better without the useless grind of a schedule in a league which is still primarily a bus league.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
This would only be feasible IF the dividing line between East and West is very logical and obvious. Look at the conference breakout today in New York state. How crazy would it be to mandate that Syracuse and Utica can't play each other unless it's the Cup Finals, but Utica has to play 8-10 games in California? (I would give the Albany/Adirondack example, too, but that's likely a non-issue next season.)

See what your saying here, if and when the California movement takes place, the Comets almost surely will be placed in the east somehow, as would Rochester.

That is coming from a Comets fan, I see your point.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Umm, no I dont think so. I will watch hockey whenever I choose to watch it, and if I state my opinion (my right to do so) regarding a general topic which you dont share my opinion which others might do, I really dont care what the NHL does as we are speaking of the AHL schedule. Not the schedule of the NHL (I dont watch NHL hockey very often) and not the European Leagues of which I have no interest as I dont live in Europe. Your reply is pointless, but you can keep your suggestion of when I should watch hockey to yourself, that is my choice and my opinion. Just as its my opinion I would enjoy a shorter schedule not into June, and believe the product would be better without the useless grind of a schedule in a league which is still primarily a bus league.

I wouldn't care if they went to 72 games and all playoffs were best of 5 until Finals.

I agree with Nightsquad, watching hockey instead of the Indy 500 doesn't feel right. It also, as NS points out, not the NHL schedule....even though clearly the NHL runs the show almost completely at this point.

While the Cali teams and Western movement surely will come about and looks like soon, don't discount the significance of the importance of Northeast / New England franchises to the said parent NHL teams. They understand the value of the 100 or so practices versus the 65-70 that Rowe said they get in San Antonio. The California teams will be the same. No matter what Northeast New England East Coast cities remain in the AHL, they will remain an important part of the league.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

I wouldn't care if they went to 72 games and all playoffs were best of 5 until Finals.

I agree with Nightsquad, watching hockey instead of the Indy 500 doesn't feel right. It also, as NS points out, not the NHL schedule....even though clearly the NHL runs the show almost completely at this point.

While the Cali teams and Western movement surely will come about and looks like soon, don't discount the significance of the importance of Northeast / New England franchises to the said parent NHL teams. They understand the value of the 100 or so practices versus the 65-70 that Rowe said they get in San Antonio. The California teams will be the same. No matter what Northeast New England East Coast cities remain in the AHL, they will remain an important part of the league.

And how does playing fewer games prepare these guys coming from a 50 game schedule for an 82 game schedule? The ONLY reason for the AHL is development and not preparing the players for the NHL scheduling is short sighted.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
And how does playing fewer games prepare these guys coming from a 50 game schedule for an 82 game schedule? The ONLY reason for the AHL is development and not preparing the players for the NHL scheduling is short sighted.
Tell that to the AHL BOG, not the members of this board. :laugh:

Personally, I don't care if they play 66 games, 82, or any number in between. My preference would be to have (as others have stated in this thread) the season end sooner, regardless of # of games:

26 week "template."
Start in early October.
End at the end of March.
1st half of April: round of 16.
2nd half of April: round of 8.
1st half of May: round of 4.
2nd half of May: Calder Cup Finals.
Number of games in regular season and number of games in each round, I'll leave that up to the BOG to get wrong. ;)

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

What 50 game schedule?

D1 college basketball players play 30-35 games, they are not prepared to play 82 games.

72 games is not a college schedule, it is 5 less home games, probably the equivalent of 7-8 more practices. I understand the point about not caring about the number of games but getting season over with....Based on that 26 week template it could even end sooner.

Keep in mind 14 out of the 30 BOG are NHL team executives. The NHL is making all the decisions here.

The fact is the NHL should be playing 72 games and the east should never meet the west until the Stanley Cup Finals. Understand it will never happen but the product would be so much better.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Tell that to the AHL BOG, not the members of this board. :laugh:

Personally, I don't care if they play 66 games, 82, or any number in between. My preference would be to have (as others have stated in this thread) the season end sooner, regardless of # of games:

26 week "template."
Start in early October.
End at the end of March.
1st half of April: round of 16.
2nd half of April: round of 8.
1st half of May: round of 4.
2nd half of May: Calder Cup Finals.
Number of games in regular season and number of games in each round, I'll leave that up to the BOG to get wrong. ;)

Good template.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad