AHL & ECHL Affiliate Thread II - Running With the Wolves and Sailing with the Admirals

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So even though Chicago is unaffiliated, is there still a chance some of our guys could play there? Or is that off the table?
That's what I've been wondering. I'd rather have a full time small split worked out with another team, but it makes sense. Gives Chicago a transition to the full time independent they want to be and buys us the year we need to get another affiliate.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Like I said, if there’s no other option then loan players there. Wouldn’t be my first choice, though.
I’d guess Pyotr would have the best chance at ending up there as he’s at the point where he is both developing and could be the best goalie they have so he’s get plenty of starts.

Unlike the position players where they wouldn’t get the ice time we’d like to see.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Good information from Frank S today.

We learned that the Wolves were leaving via their media announcement
We asked the AHL to expand to 33, they said no
We have made it known we want to purchase an existing AHL team, since AHL wont expand, and willing to pay more than 10 million to make it happen.

If a team isn’t willing to sell, this could be a longer issue. Unless the NHL gets involved and starts forcing things.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Good information from Frank S today.

We learned that the Wolves were leaving via their media announcement
We asked the AHL to expand to 33, they said no
We have made it known we want to purchase an existing AHL team, since AHL wont expand, and willing to pay more than 10 million to make it happen.

If a team isn’t willing to sell, this could be a longer issue. Unless the NHL gets involved and starts forcing things.
If the Wolves insist on remaining independent then the NHL should step in a force them to accept a 33rd team (unless one is willing to sell in the very near future).

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Binghamton, Charlotte, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Hershey, Lehigh Valley, Milwaukee, Portland, Providence, Rockford, Springfield and Syracuse are non NHL owned teams.

Milwaukee and a couple of others seem like good spots to buy a team.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The Chicago Wolves are just a flat out huge issue for the NHL right now. No NHL team should be left without an affiliate and that organization has no interest in partnering with an NHL team on reasonable terms for development purposes which is literally the reason the AHL exists as it does. Best solution is to add a 33rd team and let the Wolves f*** around on their own, but I have no idea how likely that is. We happen to be the odd team out right now, if we buy an AHL team that solves our problem, but then there's another odd team out and it's still an issue for the league.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
The Chicago Wolves are just a flat out huge issue for the NHL right now. No NHL team should be left without an affiliate and that organization has no interest in partnering with an NHL team on reasonable terms for development purposes which is literally the reason the AHL exists as it does. Best solution is to add a 33rd team and let the Wolves f*** around on their own, but I have no idea how likely that is. We happen to be the odd team out right now, if we buy an AHL team that solves our problem, but then there's another odd team out and it's still an issue for the league.
AHL has a conundrum:

Chicago’s model isn’t sustainable. Once the cap goes up and teams carry more guys, Chicago will be left dragging the bottom. Chicago will likely be forced into re-affiliating again next season.

Chicago is a big money maker. They can’t upset that. Add in a 33 team likely makes the financials look worse, not better until the NHL expands

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
What a cluster.

At least this makes the Canes not look so much like bad guys in this scenario. Every player in this situation has operated in a way that makes sense for their future (Charlotte, Carolina, and Chicago). Chicago is indeed a large money maker, but ultimately the AHL serves at the behest of the NHL. I wish the NHL would step in but I don't know enough about the AHL to be more than just a bothered internet user.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
What a cluster.

At least this makes the Canes not look so much like bad guys in this scenario. Every player in this situation has operated in a way that makes sense for their future (Charlotte, Carolina, and Chicago). Chicago is indeed a large money maker, but ultimately the AHL serves at the behest of the NHL. I wish the NHL would step in but I don't know enough about the AHL to be more than just a bothered internet user.
Chicago looks like the bad guys for sure, but makes Canes/TD look somewhat gullible/incompetent...not only bc of the Checkers breakup (even if Khan was being a bit unreasonable), but bc everyone who's dealt with Chicago knows how they operate largely blowing off their NHL affiliate and development. The red flags were there, but we dated the cheater anyway and got hung out to dry.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Agreed. In the long run, the AHL has to make a choice: expand to 33 or mandate the Wolves affiliate with someone like they did with Norfolk.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If the Wolves insist on remaining independent then the NHL should step in a force them to accept a 33rd team (unless one is willing to sell in the very near future).
The AHL is so f***ing busted that in 2021-2022, divisions played a different number of games: some 68, some 72, and some 76. In 2022-2023 there were somehow 23 playoff teams. It's chaos.

Just add a 33rd team, let us buy it, and be done with it.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Again, tell the Wolves they have two choices. Either suck it up and affiliate, or leave the league.

But I guess that's too much sense. Or red tape, or whatever.

Reactions: BadgerCane58

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Binghamton, Charlotte, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Hershey, Lehigh Valley, Milwaukee, Portland, Providence, Rockford, Springfield and Syracuse are non NHL owned teams.

Milwaukee and a couple of others seem like good spots to buy a team.
buy syracuse so the fans will know the canes when they inevitably move here.

edit to add - alternatively, buy rockford and spend like a petty billionaire to always outdo the wolves.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Buy Binghamton. Bring back Binghamton Whalers iconic look. Profit. Profit some more.
Um...uh. Binghamton doesn't have an AHL team. I would know...I literally live 2.2 miles from the Visions Arena in downtown Bingo. We had the Binghamton Devils until they relocated back to Utica. (We'd stolen them from Utica...so, fair play, I guess.)

I actually went to the AHL website to make sure I didn't miss something good happening to Bingytown. I should know better. It's Binghamton.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
With the information that we are buying a team, I looked into 10 of the 11 independent teams(not chicago)

Cleveland is owned by Dan Gilbert and has a lot of fan support. Unless Gilbert wants to get rid of the Monsters seems unlikely.

Hershey owns the Bears. They have unlimited money and unless they get tired of owning the franchise that seems unlikely.

Providence Bruins. According to the folks on AHL forum on HF boards they have a lucrative AHL agreement. They owner is getting old and from what I can find has a net worth of about 11 million. Maybe? Maybe not? I feel like the Bruins would buy them if they were up for sale but at the same time their farm isnt great either.

Charlotte? who knows.

Syracuse could be a candidate. Likely a move if we bought them. A. Cuse sucks in the winter and 2. their stadium sucks. I cant imagine TB is giving up a bunch of money as their farm has been abysmal for ages now.

Lehigh Valley seems unlikely unless their ownership group is tired of owning an AHL squad. The group that owns them has plenty of money.

Milwaukee could be a candidate. I dont know what their affiliate agreement is like.

Colorado seems too far away to be of interest and they have a very good affiliate agreement.

Springfield is possible. They are owned by a group of local investors who didnt want to see their AHL team leave for Tucson and then not have a team. If the local group is at odds, ownership is too much for them, or something, they could be available. Im sure staying there would be a part of the agreement.

The Grand Rapids owner has a net worth of 5 billion so unless he is tired of owning or think the team has no more value to grow, they arent a likely prospect.

in short, Cuse (TB), Milwaukee (NAS), Springfield (STL), and Providence (BOS) would be my guesses as a team that pulled away from a deal and by the other we are pursuing.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
With the information that we are buying a team, I looked into 10 of the 11 independent teams(not chicago)

Cleveland is owned by Dan Gilbert and has a lot of fan support. Unless Gilbert wants to get rid of the Monsters seems unlikely.

Hershey owns the Bears. They have unlimited money and unless they get tired of owning the franchise that seems unlikely.

Providence Bruins. According to the folks on AHL forum on HF boards they have a lucrative AHL agreement. They owner is getting old and from what I can find has a net worth of about 11 million. Maybe? Maybe not? I feel like the Bruins would buy them if they were up for sale but at the same time their farm isnt great either.

Charlotte? who knows.

Syracuse could be a candidate. Likely a move if we bought them. A. Cuse sucks in the winter and 2. their stadium sucks. I cant imagine TB is giving up a bunch of money as their farm has been abysmal for ages now.

Lehigh Valley seems unlikely unless their ownership group is tired of owning an AHL squad. The group that owns them has plenty of money.

Milwaukee could be a candidate. I dont know what their affiliate agreement is like.

Colorado seems too far away to be of interest and they have a very good affiliate agreement.

Springfield is possible. They are owned by a group of local investors who didnt want to see their AHL team leave for Tucson and then not have a team. If the local group is at odds, ownership is too much for them, or something, they could be available. Im sure staying there would be a part of the agreement.

The Grand Rapids owner has a net worth of 5 billion so unless he is tired of owning or think the team has no more value to grow, they arent a likely prospect.

in short, Cuse (TB), Milwaukee (NAS), Springfield (STL), and Providence (BOS) would be my guesses as a team that pulled away from a deal and by the other we are pursuing.
I'm thinking Cuse or Springfield, with Cuse being the more likely of the two. Providence has been with the Bruins forever and the B's organization would simply buy them first IMO, same with the Milwaukee-Nashville situation. Dolgon (Syracuse's owner) also isn't exactly worth all that much based on the last I've seen. The Canes buying the franchise for 10M would multiply his net worth multiple times over.
Milwaukee has a deal with Nashville through 2025 and has been affiliated with Nashville since 1998.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they were looking to sell that they were the ones who walked away last fall if Nashville caught wind of a sale.
Were they the ones that announced they were re-upping their affiliation earlier this year? I know one of the independent teams re-upped not too long after the Canes leaked that they were looking to purchase an affiliate after the AHL rejected them just getting "team 33".

Nevermind, that was Cleveland

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yes the Nashville extension was in May, and the article talks about it “only” being 2 more years to cover the transition to new ownership and Trotz.

I’d still be shocked to see Nashville walk away from Milwaukee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad