AHL & ECHL Affiliate Thread II - Running With the Wolves and Sailing with the Admirals

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Not quite the same but... We've got the Mudcats-A and the Bulls-AAA. Big difference in skill levels. My guess is most attendees go to the most convenient. Sure some are purists and want to see the best "product". But most go for a nice night out watching the game or even not watching/caring but enjoying the venue.
Correction: no one goes to see the Mudcats because Five County is an absolute dump. I grew up in Zebulon and I'm still mad about it.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Who says willing to go to an NHL game? If they want NHL fine. Go. But maybe they just like to watch hockey? Take the kids. Enjoy the "show". Do that 3 times vs 1 while not needing to "save up" to pay NHL prices.

Not quite the same but... We've got the Mudcats-A and the Bulls-AAA. Big difference in skill levels. My guess is most attendees go to the most convenient. Sure some are purists and want to see the best "product". But most go for a nice night out watching the game or even not watching/caring but enjoying the venue.
I get that I just seriously doubt there's 500 casual fans at PNC every game. Sure there's a few "hey we are in town lets go to a game" throughout the season but I bet just about everyone at a Canes game at PNC is either there to watch the Canes, the team they are playing or a single star player.

Its not so much about convience or price its that the majority of people are going to PNC for a reason not to casually watch hockey.

As an add im from Cleveland, there's an Indy team in Sheffield which is right by most of my family "Lake Erie Crushers, I think". I ve been to a game but its because my vacation that year didn't line up with the Indians being at home. Ots closer and cheaper but if I had the option I would have went to Progressive and watched the Tribe.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
I get that I just seriously doubt there's 500 casual fans at PNC every game. Sure there's a few "hey we are in town lets go to a game" throughout the season but I bet just about everyone at a Canes game at PNC is either there to watch the Canes, the team they are playing or a single star player.

Its not so much about convience or price its that the majority of people are going to PNC for a reason not to casually watch hockey.

As an add im from Cleveland, there's an Indy team in Sheffield which is right by most of my family "Lake Erie Crushers, I think". I ve been to a game but its because my vacation that year didn't line up with the Indians being at home. Ots closer and cheaper but if I had the option I would have went to Progressive and watched the Tribe.
Where were they 6 years ago?

Define casually. I watch hockey casually. There are lots of folks at PNC who are there because

Their spouse/mate takes them...
Parents take them.
Enjoy being part of and invested in an entertainment "community".
A thing to do.

You can have all that in GBoro.

I have sat beside or near many folks who ask all sorts of basic sh*t over the years.

Visiting for a one off game vs year round. Yeah you go to the big leagues. [Note: Been to Jacobs several times and the old park too.]

Reactions: WreckingCrew

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Makes sense - the canes employ brock sheahan, yah?

With an extra coach on the payroll maybe that's the trigger to oust daniels, for all the dreamers...

Reactions: HisIceness

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Makes sense - the canes employ brock sheahan, yah?

With an extra coach on the payroll maybe that's the trigger to oust daniels, for all the dreamers...
We'll never get rid of Jeff Daniels so easily. We're going to have to convince someone to give him a HC job...and as soon as he gets let go for being a bad HC...50/50 odds Rod brings him back.

But...how hard can it be when known losers keep getting recycled? Daniels for head coach somewhere that isn't here. (Concerningly, I suspect the reason Jeff Daniels doesn't go for other jobs is because we all know RBA doesn't want to be an NHL coach forever and he's our heir apparent.)

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
We'll never get rid of Jeff Daniels so easily. We're going to have to convince someone to give him a HC job...and as soon as he gets let go for being a bad HC...50/50 odds Rod brings him back.

But...how hard can it be when known losers keep getting recycled? Daniels for head coach somewhere that isn't here. (Concerningly, I suspect the reason Jeff Daniels doesn't go for other jobs is because we all know RBA doesn't want to be an NHL coach forever and he's our heir apparent.)
I honestly might have to stop watching the team for a few years if that's the case...he was a dogshit coach for the Checkers and I've seen nothing he influences that would change my mind about that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I honestly might have to stop watching the team for a few years if that's the case...he was a dogshit coach for the Checkers and I've seen nothing he influences that would change my mind about that.
After 10 years of no playoffs, you’re going to stop watching a team with 5 consecutive playoff appearances, 2 ECF appearances, franchise record points/wIns? Wow, tough crowd.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I've been kind of spoiled with the South Carolina Stingrays as they're one of the most successful ECHL teams and are rarely a bad team. But I will admit I don't go to the games because they are good. It's nice but ultimately going to any minor league sports game is more about a nice night out for the wife and our daughter, and not having to pay major league prices.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Trade and draft rumors abound but it's all quiet on this front. Anyone hearing anything re: where our key AHL players will land?

We have a bunch of them that with some more development could NHL or trade material but may need some more seasoning.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Who will receive qualifying offers?

"Coghlan was the only one of four RFAs to be extended a qualifying offer, leaving Jesse Puljujarvi, Stelio Mattheos and Dominik Bokk as unrestricted free agents."

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I didn't realize Lajoie was a free agent. Not a needle mover but liked him better than Coghlan.

We sneakily lost his rights this summer when he hit all the checkmarks for Group 6 UFA status. He wasn't getting his chances with us.

What is a Group 6 UFA?​

A player whose contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions will become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
  1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
  2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
  3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So even though Chicago is unaffiliated, is there still a chance some of our guys could play there? Or is that off the table?

I can’t imagine us loaning them players after they dumped us so late. Maybe if there was absolutely no other option but if that’s not the case then I’d hope we tell them to get stuffed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can’t imagine us loaning them players after they dumped us so late. Maybe if there was absolutely no other option but if that’s not the case then I’d hope we tell them to get stuffed.
I guess so, but we chose to get in bed with the devil. I would hope Carolina does what’s best for our prospects and not worry about grudges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad