AHL announces divisions for 2015-16

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Well, on this point, it has begun to matter more. Over the last few years the league had slowly started to balance the schedule more. Last season, for the first time, all teams in the same division played 8-12 times, while teams in different divisions played between 0-8 times. And most everyone played all their fellow conference teams (Charlotte and Syracuse being the two major exceptions).

So, I'm not saying the divisions matter a whole lot, but they do matter some, and matter a lot more than they did even 5 years ago.

No they don't. They have zero impact on the schedule.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Actually boys and girls...what Tommy said is correct, it matters none. A recent article in the Grand Rapids paper talked about how the Griffins travel cost will go up about 29% next year to close to $450,000. That's right boys and girls almost a half million on travel expenses alone. Also in the article was a comment about the schedule matrix and that there is currently 2 of them floating around, 1 of them has Grand Rapids making 2 trips to texas to play San Antonio and Texas and only 1 trip out to cali to play 2 california teams. The other matrix wasn't talked about in detail. So as you can see using that matrix, the Grand Rapids Griffins would play only 11 of 14 teams in it's conference under that matrix. So how can anyone say that the league is starting to balance out the schedule concerning conference play? Oh also it mentioned that the matrix has the California teams playing 68 games next year.If true...the ahl...getting more bush league by the year.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Actually boys and girls...what Tommy said is correct, it matters none. A recent article in the Grand Rapids paper talked about how the Griffins travel cost will go up about 29% next year to close to $450,000. That's right boys and girls almost a half million on travel expenses alone. Also in the article was a comment about the schedule matrix and that there is currently 2 of them floating around, 1 of them has Grand Rapids making 2 trips to texas to play San Antonio and Texas and only 1 trip out to cali to play 2 california teams. The other matrix wasn't talked about in detail. So as you can see using that matrix, the Grand Rapids Griffins would play only 11 of 14 teams in it's conference under that matrix. So how can anyone say that the league is starting to balance out the schedule concerning conference play? Oh also it mentioned that the matrix has the California teams playing 68 games next year.If true...the ahl...getting more bush league by the year.

The California teams are selling season tickets as though it's a 68 game season, though publically, nobody says anything has been decided.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
A recent article in the Grand Rapids paper talked about how the Griffins travel cost will go up about 29% next year to close to $450,000. That's right boys and girls almost a half million on travel expenses alone.
Yet we often hear 'round these parts about how rinky-dink the "bus league" Eastern Conference is, and how the only way to truly develop players is to put on big-boy pants and fly around a lot. So, hey...cost of doing business, I'd say. Especially in a league that the NHL demands be coast-to-coast.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I think most teams will still play their closest two neighbor city's 10-12 times and the next two closest teams 8 times. So there are 36-40 games right there. Divisions won't mean anymore than they did before.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Well, it's part of the Irish cultural thing.

Aside from George Street, there are lots of sights to see. During the Calder Cup finals both teams did iceberg tours. Teams that play here like the road trip

My wife is from upstate NY. She is an Italian-American. Her family drank a lot of wine. I was there for Christmas. Her parents had enough wine to float a minesweeper!

I like Milwaukee's division. Traveling to Manitoba and Cleveland is a pain, but the rest of the division is okay. I look forward to not seeing Chicago 6 times.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

So? Milwaukee has done that for years. Rochester didn't come to Milwaukee for seven years. That is a long time for two teams in the same conference.

Theoriginalalex

@3in3hockey
May 5, 2014
Staunton, VA

Hmm, that's interesting. I believe that's the very first insight we've had into the matrix.

By the way, I said it HAD been getting more balanced the last few years. Everything could go out the window this year in this "new AHL" where practicing is apparently all that matters to owners.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hmm, that's interesting. I believe that's the very first insight we've had into the matrix.

By the way, I said it HAD been getting more balanced the last few years. Everything could go out the window this year in this "new AHL" where practicing is apparently all that matters to owners.

what the elitist midwesterners say is technically irrelevant, since they've been whining and complaining ever since the Wolves were forced to join the "real world" and accept affiliation-based deals.... they knew this when joining the league.

the reason you're not seeing all teams not playing each other even in the same conference is it has to be reciprocated both ways.... if one side agrees to it but it doesn't get reciprocated it doesn't happen, whether it's financial or not.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Yet we often hear 'round these parts about how rinky-dink the "bus league" Eastern Conference is, and how the only way to truly develop players is to put on big-boy pants and fly around a lot. So, hey...cost of doing business, I'd say. Especially in a league that the NHL demands be coast-to-coast.

That's right and round here we mock the eastern conference diaper wearers who cry about "the cost of doing busines". Nowhere in the article did it say they were complaining, just stating a fact of business. Truth is if you want to develop NHL players then you need to acclimate them to the rigors of NHL travel...and riding on a bus for 2 hours and getting into bed with mommy and daddy every night ain't gonna do it.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
So? Milwaukee has done that for years. Rochester didn't come to Milwaukee for seven years. That is a long time for two teams in the same conference.

Same here until the wolves *****ed about it.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
what the elitist midwesterners say is technically irrelevant, since they've been whining and complaining ever since the Wolves were forced to join the "real world" and accept affiliation-based deals.... they knew this when joining the league.

the reason you're not seeing all teams not playing each other even in the same conference is it has to be reciprocated both ways.... if one side agrees to it but it doesn't get reciprocated it doesn't happen, whether it's financial or not.

Interesting...especially the calling of us elitist, love that little comment. That's kind of like saying that a city is going to get to keep an AHL team because they they have a lease and are entitled to it.

As usual you have proven yet once again to know absolutely nothing about what you are talking about,how is the conference alignment and upcoming schedule have anything remotely close to do with your inane comments about the Wolves and their fans?
Thank You for straightening me out on how that all works, now maybe if you would go back somewhere( use the search feature) you'll find the thread multiple years ago where I talked about how the Norfolk Admirals and Wolves wanted to play each other prior to the hawks moving to rockford and how milwaukee scuttled the whole thing because they didn't want to travel to norfolk.

Since what I say is technically irrelevant...I'll just keep being that...I know I'll never be as hip and up to date as you are, I'll never be as plugged in to the league and it's goings on as you. I mean after all how can I possibly be as good or as relevant as the guy who told us no franchises were for sale? Or the guy who said that the western movement wouldn't happen until 16-17 at the very earliest if it ever did at all, guaranteed. Or maybe the guy who said that because there was a lease with the arena that NO team could EVER move until the end of that lease and that Calgary was locked into Adirondak til the end of it. Or maybe the guy who said that Columbus couldn't leave springfield until it's lease was up.
So thank You so very much for showing and telling me that I'll never be relevant like "That Guy".
And Thanks for the very entertaining post...this one and most of the others. They remind me daily how good I really have it because I'm not "That Guy" and that I'm Mr. Irrelevant.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
My wife is from upstate NY. She is an Italian-American. Her family drank a lot of wine. I was there for Christmas. Her parents had enough wine to float a minesweeper!

I like Milwaukee's division. Traveling to Manitoba and Cleveland is a pain, but the rest of the division is okay. I look forward to not seeing Chicago 6 times.

They have a few wineries upstate so wine to the right people is a big deal though I've never really cared for it. All wine is bitter to me. I hate when people tell me a wine is sweet because I have a real sweet tooth so what is sweet to others likely wouldn't be to me like with wine.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Now you see why(unfortunately) affiliated hockey exists. $450,000 in travel expenses? That's a hefty amount to increase and there's other operating costs. No franchises in minor league sports would last long of they had to foot the bill for all costs.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
According to this article - http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2015/05/griffins_could_see_travel_cost.html
Griffins travel budget would rise 29% from 350k to 425k. First of all, that's not a 29% raise, more like 17%. So their travel budget would go up by 75k. The Griffins average attendance was about 8k per game last year. Lets say average ticket cost 20 bucks. Thats 160k per game at the gate. So basically their travel cost went up by half the gate revenue from a single game. I don't think this will break the bank for the Griffins.
Here is an interesting article on the travel for the ECHL's Alaska Aces: http://www.adn.com/article/20150427/aces-2015-16-schedule-diversity-and-distant-travel
Looks like Alaska's travel budget was less than Grand Rapid's last year. Apples and oranges, I know, but travel is travel.

Last edited:

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
According to this article - http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2015/05/griffins_could_see_travel_cost.html
Griffins travel budget would rise 29% from 350k to 425k. First of all, that's not a 29% raise, more like 17%. So their travel budget would go up by 75k. The Griffins average attendance was about 8k per game last year. Lets say average ticket cost 20 bucks. Thats 160k per game at the gate. So basically their travel cost went up by half the gate revenue from a single game. I don't think this will break the bank for the Griffins.
Here is an interesting article on the travel for the ECHL's Alaska Aces: http://www.adn.com/article/20150427/aces-2015-16-schedule-diversity-and-distant-travel
Looks like Alaska's travel budget was less than Grand Rapid's last year. Apples and oranges, I know, but travel is travel.

That's 21%. And it is interesting. I would guess that the Wolves' travel budget would be in the same neighborhood.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
A key difference between the Griffins/AHL and Aces/ECHL:

Road AHL teams buy their own flight/bus rental, hotel, and any additional misc. travel expenses.
Road ECHL teams only need to buy flight/bus rental, and any other misc. travel expenses. The article says that the road ECHL teams hotel is paid for by the home ECHL team.

So where hotel expenses for the Griffins are part of their travel budget, in the ECHL hotel costs become home team operating expenses.

And there isn't a difference between the Griffins and Aces travel budgets:
Griffins travel budget for 2014-15 ~$350,000
Alaska Aces travel budget for 2014-15 ~$240,000 + $90,000 = $330,000.

Also, Avsrule2002, you're forgetting to deduct operation expenses, facility rent, front office salaries, etc. from that quick and dirty math.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Road AHL teams buy their own flight/bus rental, hotel, and any additional misc. travel expenses.
Road ECHL teams only need to buy flight/bus rental, and any other misc. travel expenses. The article says that the road ECHL teams hotel is paid for by the home ECHL team.

That's not a key difference at all. They're still paying for hotels.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO

So where hotel expenses for the Griffins are part of their travel budget, in the ECHL hotel costs become home team operating expenses.

And there isn't a difference between the Griffins and Aces travel budgets:
Griffins travel budget for 2014-15 ~$350,000
Alaska Aces travel budget for 2014-15 ~$240,000 + $90,000 = $330,000.

Also, Avsrule2002, you're forgetting to deduct operation expenses, facility rent, front office salaries, etc. from that quick and dirty math.

I didn't take into account any operation expenses because I was only discussing travel. And like I said, apples and oranges. But I stand by my point of 75k not breaking the bank for the Griffins.
And quick and dirty math is the best I can do :laugh:

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
That's right and round here we mock the eastern conference diaper wearers who cry about "the cost of doing busines". Nowhere in the article did it say they were complaining, just stating a fact of business. Truth is if you want to develop NHL players then you need to acclimate them to the rigors of NHL travel...and riding on a bus for 2 hours and getting into bed with mommy and daddy every night ain't gonna do it.
The article's mention might not have been a complaint, but your post seemed to be one ("That's right boys and girls almost a half million on travel expenses alone").
No crying about the cost of doing business here, BTW. There's no need to fly from Springfield to Hartford. :) Or Portland or Hershey, for that matter. So, it's not done that way. Us bush-league Easterners have geography on our side in that respect. Yet, all we hear is how that's not "real" development hockey. So, to any franchises or fans that insist that "real" development hockey requires airports and baggage claim, knock yerselves out...but no getting weepy about the costs.

In any event, we're all learning now that "real" development hockey apparently means cutting games in lieu of more practices. So, modes of transportation are becoming yesterday's debate, I suppose.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
The article's mention might not have been a complaint, but your post seemed to be one ("That's right boys and girls almost a half million on travel expenses alone").
No crying about the cost of doing business here, BTW. There's no need to fly from Springfield to Hartford. :) Or Portland or Hershey, for that matter. So, it's not done that way. Us bush-league Easterners have geography on our side in that respect. Yet, all we hear is how that's not "real" development hockey. So, to any franchises or fans that insist that "real" development hockey requires airports and baggage claim, knock yerselves out...but no getting weepy about the costs.

In any event, we're all learning now that "real" development hockey apparently means cutting games in lieu of more practices. So, modes of transportation are becoming yesterday's debate, I suppose.

No complaining here at all because we, in this conference, understand that it cost money to play. So my comment wasn't a complaint but actually a comment of...LOOK HOW MUCH WE SPEND, WHY CAN'T YOU MAN UP AND SPEND SOME MONEY?
You have no clue how many times over the years when I asked about playing the eastern conference the comments I got back were and still continue to be...They don't want to spend the money to travel. That's fine.
I get it...those teams like their 2 hour bus league....they like being tucked in by mommy and daddy each night and that's cool good for them, but when it comes time to nut up and actually travel they can't physically handle it. their bodies aren't used to the travel rigors of this conference, which is why the west has been so successful this time of year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad