Waived: Agostino on Waivers (Claimed by New Jersey)

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
60cdd9e742f9bf4befa1ab6fcc17_Gallery.jpg

Double agent

Reactions: OldCraig71

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Unfortunately, there's a thing called the 23-man roster, and another thing called waivers...

I wonder why all of our guys except Alzner get claimed though. We can't get anyone through waivers.

I obviously know that but thanks for the condescension. I would have preferred MB leave Weise in the AHL until after the roster limit lifts (post-trade deadline).

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Unfortunately, there's a thing called the 23-man roster, and another thing called waivers...

I wonder why all of our guys except Alzner get claimed though. We can't get anyone through waivers.
Because the whole league has realized when it comes to players on the bubble, MB is the s h i t s

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Good claim by the Devils - I wish MB would have kept him - the Habs need more forward depth not less.
Habs still have Deslauriers as 13th F, one of the two centers Peca and Chaput as 14th F and Hudon as 15th F, once Byron is back.

We may have to waive Peca when Byron returns. I don't think he will be claimed, given his $1.3M salary through next year.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
That’s like saying of the 3 STDs you have, gonorrhea is your favourite.

That's all on you, buddy.

With Agostino and Chaput the Habs 4th line was outplaying other teams' 4th lines on a regular basis. There is a reason 4th-liners aren't first-liners, and every team has guys like Agostino or Hudon or whoever. Agostino was an effective 4th liner. To be honest, now that the Habs lost Agostino essentially in the Folin-Weise trade, I am not a fan of it. I guess we will see how Weise and Folin play, but I think MB has skated backwards here. The only thing I want him to do for the TDL is to acquire forward depth, and by losing Agostino and Froese for Weise, that's a step in the wrong direction.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All these connections are conjured up when a player is claimed on the wire.

None of them were enough to entice the Devils to pay for him though.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

With Agostino and Chaput the Habs 4th line was outplaying other teams' 4th lines on a regular basis. There is a reason 4th-liners aren't first-liners, and every team has guys like Agostino or Hudon or whoever. Agostino was an effective 4th liner. To be honest, now that the Habs lost Agostino essentially in the Folin-Weise trade, I am not a fan of it. I guess we will see how Weise and Folin play, but I think MB has skated backwards here. The only thing I want him to do for the TDL is to acquire forward depth, and by losing Agostino and Froese for Weise, that's a step in the wrong direction.

Not sure what games in which they outplayed other teams 4th lines. Maybe against basement dwellers? The Leafs 4th line just completely destroyed them. They are not good. Chaput and Agostino are not NHLers.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Agostino did not have a point playing on the fourth line since December 15th.

Reactions: le_sean

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Habs still have Deslauriers as 13th F, one of the two centers Peca and Chaput as 14th F and Hudon as 15th F, once Byron is back.

We may have to waive Peca when Byron returns. I don't think he will be claimed, given his $1.3M salary through next year.
Yeah but if the Habs make the playoffs and go on a run, there will be guys who are knocked out. They will need guys in the AHL ready to be called up and play.

But I get your point, it's not the end of the world. The TDL isn't over. If MB can acquire some decent Laval NHL quality forwards that could possibly fill in a pinch during the post-season should injuries strike things should be all right. But I would want the Habs to keep their draft picks, and Agostino was already that guy, so it's too bad IMO.

Anyway, the Habs have lost three depth forwards to waivers this year. Their D have cleared waivers and they are in very good shape IMO with their D depth. But they are really hurting for forward depth. Hopefully MB will address this somehow without losing too many picks or prospects.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I did not think he would be claimed. I’m not overly sad to see him go, but I am rather annoyed we have now lost 3 forwards on waivers to kill our depth. Laval is basically Jake Evans and the misfit toys offensively. Honourable mention to Belzile but he’s not even signed to an NHL deal.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad