Agent: Leafs, Clifford mutually interested in extension

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think many have concluded what Dubas is about, and that he only signs certain types of players prematurely. Remember, he was behind obtaining Hyman, as well as Muzzin previously. Dubas had also been Hyman's advisor, before becoming Leafs GM....

I wouldn't conclude that he is bending to public opinion in the least, and I doubt public opinion matters to him. I bet that Keefe and Shanahan's opinions, and even Fletcher's have some weight though, and there is plenty of hockey experience there.

My only concern, is overpaying, and moving back a draft pick.
It would be an anti Dubas signing because it would be a bad use of assets and cap, not because of the type of player Clifford is.

Reactions: Fogelhund

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Minimum money under the cba or this makes no sense. If Marchment had been playing like this we would want nothing to do with him. It's just because he's named Clifford and won a cup that we are accepting his subpar play. Change my mind.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It would be an anti Dubas signing because it would be a bad use of assets and cap, not because of the type of player Clifford is.
Have you ever thought of a 4-5 year deal at 1M per? knowing full well da deal will never fully play out but help manage CAP for next 2 years. I am not saying that will happen there are many ways to skin da cat here. Clifford helps team. We never got taken advantage of ONCE since he arrived. He can skate on a 4th line with anyone. in fact he can skate on a 3rd line too. Not many guys can do that. and he always plays on the right side of da puck. Also remember he was Dubie's 1st client. Shanny likes him to point of him saying publicly we want him back. and da coup da gras is he is good friends with Muzzy. There is next to zero chance he is not coming back next year. you can pencil him in as 4th line LW.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Have you ever thought of a 4-5 year deal at 1M per?

Have been thinking that's the sweet spot for months, though more like 1.25. Only works if he wants to finish his career in Ontario and is willing to leave money on the table to do it. Everything above league min in SB's in a long enough term contract that looks after his family, then when he declines he can be buried with no cap hit, either to actually play for the Marlies or just be rostered and collect a pay cheque to mentor

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Have you ever thought of a 4-5 year deal at 1M per? knowing full well da deal will never fully play out but help manage CAP for next 2 years. I am not saying that will happen there are many ways to skin da cat here. Clifford helps team. We never got taken advantage of ONCE since he arrived. He can skate on a 4th line with anyone. in fact he can skate on a 3rd line too. Not many guys can do that. and he always plays on the right side of da puck. Also remember he was Dubie's 1st client. Shanny likes him to point of him saying publicly we want him back. and da coup da gras is he is good friends with Muzzy. There is next to zero chance he is not coming back next year. you can pencil him in as 4th line LW.
I have a feeling Clifford wont want to take a like 40% pay cut from his current deal per year on his last multiyear deal. Not saying I dont want him on the team, I just dont think he will fit in the cap structure as a 4th liner and we shouldn't be giving up a 2nd (instead of a 3rd) to do so.

I will be very interested to see what happens as if he gets a raise from the leafs it will be a very bad use of assets/cap from my perspective.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have a feeling Clifford wont want to take a like 40% pay cut per year on his last multiyear deal. Not saying I dont want him on the team, I just dont think he will fit in the cap structure as a 4th liner and we shouldn't be giving up a 2nd (instead of a 3rd) to do so.

I will be very interested to see what happens as if he gets a raise from the leafs it will be a very bad use of assets/cap from my perspective.
If the Cap goes down significantly, he may be happy with taking a large pay cut.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I have a feeling Clifford wont want to take a like 40% pay cut from his current deal per year on his last multiyear deal. Not saying I dont want him on the team, I just dont think he will fit in the cap structure as a 4th liner and we shouldn't be giving up a 2nd (instead of a 3rd) to do so.

He will. When I saw this thread I knew it was almost a done deal. Only reason agent even said something was Clifford wants to stay here in Ontario close to home and Leafs want him too. That said if another team gave him a monster deal then all might be off but they would really have to overpay and I just don't think it is gonna happen. But everyone is gonna wait for CAP to be figured out and Clifford will get done after Mik gets done, then Dermy gets done and then Clifford gets done. I would bet that's the order of things. Spezza unfortunately will come last.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If they do sign him to a deal longer than 1 year, expect the lions share of the money to be in bonuses and paid our in the first year

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He will. When I saw this thread I knew it was almost a done deal. Only reason agent even said something was Clifford wants to stay here in Ontario close to home and Leafs want him too. That said if another team gave him a monster deal then all might be off but they would really have to overpay and I just don't think it is gonna happen. But everyone is gonna wait for CAP to be figured out and Clifford will get done after Mik gets done, then Dermy gets done and then Clifford gets done. I would bet that's the order of things. Spezza unfortunately will come last.
I would tend to agree with the last half of your paragraph and maybe Clifford is willing to take a big pay cut to stay. Only time will tell. I just dont think it is that likely

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think this might just be the time for the David league to introduce the vet min, like a vet player for 1 mil - 2milPer team but the caphit will be count as the league min.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1.5/1.6 with term (3 years)

If he likes it here THAT much, maybe he does... but, this is likely his last chance for his career high earnings. I can see anywhere between $1.6 to $2 million. Of course where the cap is, will be a prime factor.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think the Leafs could pretty easily find the element Clifford brings and that Clifford's impact itself has been way overstated. Not to mention signing him upgrades the 3rd to a 2nd and overpaying only adds to the level of mismanagement.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Engvall - Spezza - Barabanov

Other options: Johnsson (who I have traded here), Malgin, Gauthier, Korshkov, Brooks, Aberg, Petan, Agostino

Signing Clifford for a cent above $900k (which is generous as is) would be utterly stupid. Not to mention that he would probably end up making more than Robertson, Engvall, Spezza, Barabanov, any extra, and would end up scarily close to Hyman.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
he's been a dud and i'd rather keep a 2nd than a 3rd, so i hope re doesn't re-sign. the leafs should be able to find a tough player in free agency.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I really thought Clifford would have been better. I just don't think he's fast enough. He's been outright bad. If Clifford is resigned for significantly more than a million per, I'll eat my own dick.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Fans demand toughness for "soft team". Dubas acquires a guy who is not only tough but can play a regular shift. After 19 games as a Leaf after playing his whole career with the Kings he isn't good or fast enough. But hey let's sign Wayne Simmonds!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Fans demand toughness for "soft team". Dubas acquires a guy who is not only tough but can play a regular shift. After 19 games as a Leaf after playing his whole career with the Kings he isn't good or fast enough. But hey let's sign Wayne Simmonds!
Funny how it works eh. Pre Clifford Matty and Mitch get run/injured and everyone looks up to da clock ... post Clifford no one even attempted and even more impressive in da tough part of da season. Watch below as Dallas #2 gets destroyed. See ya.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I really thought Clifford would have been better. I just don't think he's fast enough. He's been outright bad. If Clifford is resigned for significantly more than a million per, I'll eat my own dick.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Why is everyone so hung up on the potential 2 million $ Clifford could make. Isn't it a consensus that all of our "big 4" are overpaid? Arguing over a 2 million $ contract and a 2nd or 3rd round pick is petty. Really petty. A 2nd round pick doesn't guarantee you anything. How good is the 51st pick in the draft going to be? Teams don't always hit on their 2nd round picks. TOR has been lucky. Sandin and Robertson are the **********, not the rule.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad