TSN: Agent: Borowiecki set to test free agency

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Hailey Salvian
@hailey_salvian

After nearly 10 years in the #Sens organization, and 6 NHL seasons, Mark Borowiecki is set to test the waters of free agency for the first time in his career next month. Details here for @TheAthleticNHL as well as what his new team has to look forward to:

Senators defenceman Mark Borowiecki set to test the waters...
Everything Borowiecki brings to the table makes him a valuable asset. If the price is right, several teams could be interested.
theathletic.com

9:05 AM · Sep 10, 2020

I would love to have him on the Leafs. Big, strong and leaves it all out on the ice. What do you think he signs for? I would do 1.5 territory for 3 years.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah curious as to if he was lowballed or Ottawa didn't want to re-sign him. Hard to believe Melnyk wouldn't want his puppet/homeboy around though.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He sucks.

He’s a pretty incredible person but he sucks. At some point the sens are going to have to stop being terrible and replace these roster spots with talent. This is the opportunity for that.

He has actually been pretty decent the past couple years, but with Chabot, Wolanin and Brannstrom looking like our long-term solutions at LD, it may make more sense to let him walk than re-sign him for multiple years.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
He sucks.

He’s a pretty incredible person but he sucks. At some point the sens are going to have to stop being terrible and replace these roster spots with talent. This is the opportunity for that.

Boro has played like an impactful bottom pairing defenceman in the past two seasons, incidentally the worst two seasons since expansion day Sens with the mass liquidation of on ice talent to save El Cheapo Melnyk some money.

For a contending team, he can play the perfect 7th defenceman role, on a team like Ottawa he can play the role of a mentor who leads by example. He leaves it all out on ice and has had a career year in offence. He worked on his shooting and it showed this year. Boro is as physical a player as there is in the league. He blocks shots and punches with his face, while he is a perennial hits/game leader in the league.

There is a lot of mileage on this guy. Hence a fair contract for him is tricky. I can see him get a $2M per year for 3 years, or a $2.5M per year for 2 years type contract - mostly because of the tangibles and the intangible he brings on/off ice to go along with his 7 goals this years (the classic "what have you done for me lately" NHL GM mentality have the tendency to make short-sighted decisions on recency bias). I can even see a team paying him higher, though that would be foolish.

Reactions: bert

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would take him on Nashville... need some character and physicality on the bottom pair. But 3 years or $2M per sound a bit much... 2 x $1.5M is about as high as I'd go.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yeah curious as to if he was lowballed or Ottawa didn't want to re-sign him. Hard to believe Melnyk wouldn't want his puppet/homeboy around though.
According to his agent, Ottawa made a competitive offer but they (Boro and his agent) felt there would be a lot of interested parties and that they should entertain them

I think people will be surprised how much he gets, and even more surprised when he performs adequately to the value of his contract

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
He should go to philly and be around his twin
download.jpeg-1.jpg
gettyimages-1190423957-594x594.jpg

Reactions: Ingvar

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I guess this means Melnyk is out :sarcasm:

For those who don't get it he was Melnyk's snitch. He's good value to Melnyk.

But in all seriousness if he is going to go elsewhere it's a bottomfeeder that's either desperate for D, or they're desperate for D but have no cap space but he happens to fit the bill. If I had to guess I'd say either the Coyotes, Devils, Ducks or Golden Knights.

But I also like to think Melynk is too cheap to sign Borowiecki. :laugh:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
That's crazy - he was the golden boy there to the office.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
According to his agent, Ottawa made a competitive offer but they (Boro and his agent) felt there would be a lot of interested parties and that they should entertain them

I think people will be surprised how much he gets, and even more surprised when he performs adequately to the value of his contract

Could be. I just hope he doesn't get an Engelland to the Flames esque contract and get crucified for it, but with a flat cap, I don't quite see that happening either.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Maybe he feels like he can get a three year deal like Matt Carkner did almost a decade ago. I wish him well. Doesn’t have a ton of talent, but he has a lot of heart. You will always get 100% from the guy.

Reactions: topshelf15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad