After trading Marner for Heiskanen, would Leafs be more or less likely to win cup this season?

After trading Marner for Heiskanen, would Leafs be more or less likely to win cup this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
Trade that would never happen, but after reading through this suggestion thread on trade forum, I became curious to see how people value theoretical impact of this trade THIS season.

Leafs would obviously lose a lot of their offensive power with Marner, but at the same time they would gain loads of defensive credibility and potentially better balance between defence and offence?

Would Leafs have better or worse chance to lift the cup if they were to agree this deal with Dallas?

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Man I'd love to see Miro on a team with a good offense. Maybe the Stars can do that one day cause I never want to see him traded lol

Short answer: I believe they'd be more likely.

Long answer: they'd obviously take a slight hit offensively by losing Marner but at the same time they're a team that can afford to do that because of their depth, and they'd be adding another dman that can also contribute offensively.

I think getting a dman who would immediately be the best 2 way player on the team would be a huge add for them. A guy who can move the puck just as well as any dman on that team and has the defensive abilities to eat up 25+ mins a game if necessary. Throw him with Reilly or Barrie and watch them dominate together. Stars did it with Klingberg and Miro but never had a 3rd puck moving dman so they have to keep them split up to balance pairings.

HOWEVER, I think in the playoffs they would potentially be physically outmatched, especially on the back end. That'd be a secondary worry though since they'd be able to transition so well it wouldn't happen often.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Man I'd love to see Miro on a team with a good offense. Maybe the Stars can do that one day cause I never want to see him traded lol

Short answer: I believe they'd be more likely.

Long answer: they'd obviously take a slight hit offensively by losing Marner but at the same time they're a team that can afford to do that because of their depth, and they'd be adding another dman that can also contribute offensively.

I think getting a dman who would immediately be the best 2 way player on the team would be a huge add for them. A guy who can move the puck just as well as any dman on that team and has the defensive abilities to eat up 25+ mins a game if necessary. Throw him with Reilly or Barrie and watch them dominate together. Stars did it with Klingberg and Miro but never had a 3rd puck moving dman so they have to keep them split up to balance pairings.

HOWEVER, I think in the playoffs they would potentially be physically outmatched, especially on the back end. That'd be a secondary worry though since they'd be able to transition so well it wouldn't happen often.
It's funny how people think Heiskanen wouldn't make Colorado better in Makar's place.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Whenever I take a look at the stat sheets, I'm impressed by Makar and Hughes. Both are fantastic talents. But when I actually watch the games, it's Heiskanen that leaves my mouth wide open and my jaw laying on the floor.

Mitch Marner is amazing. In fact, the best Leafs player in my mind. Yet, I can't help but think that the Toronto Maple Leafs would be a better team if Dubas managed to flip Marner for Heiskanen.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yes because another offensive minded dman that can't defend is exactly what the Leafs need.

Dahlin is the Better defender statistically. By saying ” he cant defend” you Are letting your agenda shine through. Heiskanen is not becoming a better Playing by you talking down Dahlin using false information. Dahlin is outperforming him offensively and defensively despite being younger and I am sorry, there is no way around that.

He is a brilliant defender statistically. Even if he was a horrendous defender, which could not be further from the truth, he is on pace for a 56 point season, which would be the first time a teenage defenseman scored over 50 since the early 1980s. That would be enough for any team to want him.

Dahlin is generational and along with McDavid the player in the league any Franchise would want. Dahlin and McDavid are in a complete tier of there own as far as young players go.

Heiskanen is not even good enough to be favored against Makar or Hughes, let alone the mightiest of them all in Dahlin.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The next McDavid who plays 15 mins a night as a defenseman. Generational.
And despite not getting enough opportunity, that his metrics suggest he clearly deserves, will be the highest scoring teenage defenceman in almost 4 decades, with f***ing outstanding physical play and great defensive stats. He can still be just as good as McDavid, if not better.

Reactions: lauraP

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Leafs would probably be worse if Marner was traded for Dahlin this season. Better in 4 years maybe but not today.

Well if that is the case, that is the case with Heiskanen too, since Dahlin is much better offensively and defensively compared to Heiskanen, right now! Statistically he has always been and will always be far ahead. Dahlin is litteraly years ahead despite being younger.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Marner is the leafs best player. Plays the pk, and does well at it, team leading ppg for the least 1.5 years, amongst the league leaders in take aways, etc.

I would have a hard time making the trade but it would make us a more evenly balanced team. With our current defense I cant see us making it far in the playoffs.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Dahlin is also having a down year for his standards while Miro is having a great one.

If scoring at the highest pace by a teenage defenceman in almost 4 decades is a down year, those are some pretty high standards.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
If scoring at the highest pace by a teenage defenceman in almost 4 decades is a down year, those are some pretty high standards.
what if I told you points shouldn't be all that significant for a d-man since their primary job is defending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad