After trading Marner for Heiskanen, would Leafs be more or less likely to win cup this season?

After trading Marner for Heiskanen, would Leafs be more or less likely to win cup this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Isn’t the against part good if negative or close to zero?
Showing Dahlin is playing better D

They are even production wise with more better chances going to Dallas(not resulting in more production) and Dahlin is better at stopping good chances against and corsi against.
the against part is measured the same way the for part is against the y axis. The higher the bar on the y axis the better

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
the against part is measured the same way the for part is against the y axis. The higher the bar on the y axis the better

Are you sure? When I read about how it was created you want a minus in the against, meaning your taking less shots against and less expected goals against.

Reviving Regularized Adjusted Plus-Minus for Hockey

Note: a negative value for defense is a good thing – a skater with a negative defensive coefficient decreased CF60 against while playing defense.

Last edited:

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Are you sure? When I read about how it was created you want a minus in the against, meaning your taking less shots against and less expected goals against.

Reviving Regularized Adjusted Plus-Minus for Hockey

Note: a negative value for defense is a good thing – a skater with a negative defensive coefficient decreased CF60 against while playing defense.
the negative is good for when its measured raw but the bars being higher up = higher defense for CA/60 and xGA/60. It measures positive contribution there is the way to word it.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Haha wow the one guys bait completely derailed this thread ...well played.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Maybe if they had Hughes. Dahlin is very overrated

Lmfao you can talk all you want but if Vans gm or dal gm were offer dahlin for Hughes / heiskanen they would say yes in a heartbeat, thanks for coming out

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Someday Kyle Dubas will wake up and realize you need a) to defend, and b) a measurable amount of grit and toughness to win in this league. Whether or not he has to be fired for this to happen remains the question.

Reactions: MessierII

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A balanced team with some impact defencemen who can play both ends of the ice...is just such a huge advantage. Especially in a playoff series where it's the same grinding matchup night after night.

Heck...for the Leafs...a Marner for Heiskanen swap would probably let them convert Barrie into something to re-bolster the forward corps at the deadline.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
This season?
Better chance with Marner who is on pace for 101 points. Not interested in trying to win a cup with a 20 year old dman over a guy pacing over 100 points.

In a few years? No idea.

Reactions: Future

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Well if that is the case, that is the case with Heiskanen too, since Dahlin is much better offensively and defensively compared to Heiskanen, right now! Statistically he has always been and will always be far ahead. Dahlin is litteraly years ahead despite being younger.
I would take Heiskanen 11 times out of 10 over Dahlin. Not to mention Buffalo is a defenseman killing organization Dahlin is no way better than Miro defensively whatsoever. Get your head out of the sand!

Now back on topic - Heiskanen would put them over the top IMO but honestly, I doubt Dallas would even entertain that offer actually.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I would take Heiskanen 11 times out of 10 over Dahlin. Not to mention Buffalo is a defenseman killing organization Dahlin is no way better than Miro defensively whatsoever. Get your head out of the sand!

Now back on topic - Heiskanen would put them over the top IMO but honestly, I doubt Dallas would even entertain that offer actually.

Dahlin has comparable defensive stats and f***ing massively better numbers offensively, while being a year younger, so there is no reason at all to take Heiskanen. Those absolute facts are all very hard to argue against.!

Last edited:

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Dahlin has comparable defensive stats and ****ing massively better numbers offensively, while being a year younger, so there is no reason at all to take Heiskanen. Those absolute facts are all very hard to argue against.!
Dahlin is not close to the defensive dman that Heiskanen is. Dahlin may be a better offensively but it is still early in their careers. This whole age thing is blown way the f*** out of proportion. It is not like Dahlin is 18 and Heiskanen is 26 they are more like what 8 months apart? Get over that stupid logic already.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Dahlin is not close to the defensive dman that Heiskanen is. Dahlin may be a better offensively but it is still early in their careers. This whole age thing is blown way the **** out of proportion. It is not like Dahlin is 18 and Heiskanen is 26 they are more like what 8 months apart? Get over that stupid logic already.
dahlin made history last season. what was Heiskanen doing when he was 18 ?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Same thing as with Muzzin and all these others. The moment he became a Leaf suddenly he wouldn't be nearly as good as he is viewed now and people's opinion wouldn't change.

Marner wins the Leafs a lot of games and is their best playmaker. He also has shown in the playoffs at every level. Think it's a mistake to move him if you want to win a cup. Heis is also well insulated by veteran players in a defensive system which IMO inflates his perception defensively.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Someday Kyle Dubas will wake up and realize you need a) to defend, and b) a measurable amount of grit and toughness to win in this league. Whether or not he has to be fired for this to happen remains the question.

Kind of hilarious you mention that given he added Muzzin and Holl which tick both boxes lol, not to mention guys like Engvall, Johnsson, and Soup who play on the edge all the time. Not even including guys like Hyman either.

It's a myth there is no grit, they just don't fight.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think it’s a no-brainer.

Heskainen could end up like a Doughty only he’s much younger.

I would do this trade in a second if I was Toronto.

Wouldn’t it free up some cap room at the same time?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Dahlin is not close to the defensive dman that Heiskanen is. Dahlin may be a better offensively but it is still early in their careers. This whole age thing is blown way the **** out of proportion. It is not like Dahlin is 18 and Heiskanen is 26 they are more like what 8 months apart? Get over that stupid logic already.

Well, looking at stats, they are about the same level defensively, and Dahlin has heavily outproduced him. Regardless, just looking at stats they can easily be compared defensively, while the offensive production is hugely different. A players offensive skill set isn't massively going to improve with age either, defensive play usually will though. There is a 9 month difference between them, which is a night and day difference at that age.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

That guy is not worth your time. Heiskanen could put up 100 points, win the Norris, Hart, and be the best defensive dman in the league and he'd still argue Dahlin is still better even if he turned out to be a bust

That's an exaggeration obviously, but my point is he's a waste of time to argue with over this

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
That guy is not worth your time. Heiskanen could put up 100 points, win the Norris, Hart, and be the best defensive dman in the league and he'd still argue Dahlin is still better even if he turned out to be a bust

That's an exaggeration obviously, but my point is he's a waste of time to argue with over this

Since Dahlin has scored more by a huge margin, and has comparable defensive stats while being younger, I can’t see any logical reason to take Heiskanen. You are the one arguing something strange here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad