AFCON 2024; 13 January – 11 February 2024

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If you think L1 only has young talent you need to watch. I wouldn't even say more I would say discover. Because watching PSG only is not making you an expert. Quite the contrary.

Paqueta is young for instance? CHL equivalent?
Just asking.
Because the comparison is so hilariously bad it's funny. Then again...
Paqueta has been around for many years not just Ligue 1. I have seen him play for Flamengo (one of my good friend is a carioca from Rio and we talk a lot about brazilian football in general) and AC Milan even before Lyon.

Never claimed I was an 'expert' and never will be. I only stated a fact. PSG have the same wage bill of the top 8 highest paid teams in ligue 1.

As for the young talent, yes they do have some of the best young talent in Europe and they usually leave at a very young age too. Tchouameni, Camavinga, Mendy, Lukeba, Saliba, Fofana, Onana, Openda, Osimhen and that is just from the top of my head. The L1 produce a lot of top young talent in Europe.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Paqueta has been out of L1 for 2 years now
And he was young?

Paqueta has been around for many years not just Ligue 1. I have seen him play for Flamengo (one of my good friend is a carioca from Rio and we talk a lot about brazilian football in general) and AC Milan even before Lyon.

Never claimed I was an 'expert' and never will be. I only stated a fact. PSG have the same wage bill of the top 8 highest paid teams in ligue 1.

As for the young talent, yes they do have some of the best young talent in Europe and they usually leave at a very young age too. Tchouameni, Camavinga, Mendy, Lukeba, Saliba, Fofana, Onana, Openda, Osimhen and that is just from the top of my head. The L1 produce a lot of top young talent in Europe.
But but but... He isn't PSG and isn't young. What gives?
Of course that's just an example but the list is obviously long.

Paqueta is playing in L1?
Well if he was still you wouldn't know him.
I mean when guys like Saliba torch the EPL from the get go surely it's because... Wait..

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
While I do enjoy the random Paqueta, Savanier, Ben Arfa, Cabella working their magic on middling teams, it doesn't help that athleticism is preferred to skill in a lot of L1 teams. Some of those players can't control a ball in one touch if their lives depended on it. In Spain even in La Liga 2 the players' skill is better overall.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
While I do enjoy the random Paqueta, Savanier, Ben Arfa, Cabella working their magic on middling teams, it doesn't help that athleticism is preferred to skill in a lot of L1 teams. Some of those players can't control a ball in one touch if their lives depended on it. In Spain even in La Liga 2 the players' skill is better overall.
Weirdly enough, players say the contrary. I'm sure you know better but every player that's been through different leagues say L1 is a tough physical AND technical skills, which isn't surprising since L1 players can play in any other league with ease.
What L1 lacks is money to keep their best players and tactical development, which has been hindered by the federal stance about coaching degrees for decades.
Hence why most of the best coaches come from abroad.

Then again I know that since you see players brownish you tend to think they're only athletic. Not the first time either.

Lyon and Clermont are among the worst teams in L1. Their average technical skills are probably better than 3/4 of Buli, Serie A and Liga.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Well if he was still you wouldn't know him.
I mean when guys like Saliba torch the EPL from the get go surely it's because... Wait..
Yeah, top talents from the CHL do well in the NHL after they've spent a couple years in the CHL, too.

What's your point?

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Then again I know that since you see players brownish you tend to think they're only athletic. Not the first time either.
Don't start with this narrative. 3 of the 4 players I mentioned as wizards I've always enjoyed watching are "brownish".

Technically Ligue 1 is lower than any other big 5 league, and I'd probably add Portugal too to the list.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Anyone have recommendations on which games to watch in the upcoming week? I don't follow African countries much outside of knowing which are generally the better teams (Egypt, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Tunisia, etc).

It's included on FuboTV though so thought I'd catch a few games maybe, seems more interesting than the AFC.

edit: Nvm you guys are whinging at each other about Ligue 1 prospects and other past shit.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Anyone have recommendations on which games to watch in the upcoming week? I don't follow African countries much outside of knowing which are generally the better teams (Egypt, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Tunisia, etc).

It's included on FuboTV though so thought I'd catch a few games maybe, seems more interesting than the AFC.

edit: Nvm you guys are whinging at each other about Ligue 1 prospects and other past shit.
Thursday has two pretty decent games in Ivory Coast - Nigeria and Egypt-Ghana.

Senegal-Cameroon on Friday and Tunisia-Mali on Saturday shouldn't be bad either.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

Watch everything you can, AFCON is super fun.

I'm supporting Algeria this time for our resident @Power Man

erikhamren

May 7, 2021
Sweden
Idk

Out central defense is a big question mark

One night we have Baresi and Costacurta, the next one we have Maguire and Maguire.
Mandi - Bensemaini looks good to me. Both are starters in their club team but at the same time, i havent seen them in the Algerian shirt. But they should be good.

Your midfield looks strong. Bennacer as the key player and then Bentaleb, Feghouli and Aouar.

I like the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad