NFL GDT: AFC Championship Game: (1) Denver Broncos vs (2) New England Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
That's not who Peyton is. Not as a person. Not as a teammate. Not as a friend.

It really isn't. His teammates throughout his career, and during his time in Denver, have had nothing but good things to say about him. And by all accounts, he's handled this season like a consummate professional.

Not sure where this is coming from.

Lol....I think it'd be VERY different if what happened, happened before the season. Nobody really retires mid season but I couldn't see a guy like him or any "big time" QB be willing to knowingly sit the bench all year if they were healthy. He wasn't healthy so its not like there was a choice there. He tried to play injured and stunk. Its very different then him just simply losing the job in camp or something. I can't see him coming back next year and beyond if he's not guaranteed to start.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Anderson only had like 3 carries up until that point.

Against the Broncos from the first matchup

W/ Hightower: 15 carries for 43 yards

Without Hightower: 17 carries for 136 yards and 3 td

Now that includes Hillman carries as well but there was a significant drop in the defense when going from Hightower to Freeny. It's a completely different story with him in the game- the Broncos just flat out couldn't really move the ball until he went out and they started establishing the run.

also how sad is the NY Daily News? like sorry your teams are irrelevant bud...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
To be fair the Patriots before the Brady and Bellichick era were mostly a dumpster fire franchise outside of like 1985 and 19996. Its not like they always went to Denver with good teams. Yeah they lost in 2013 but I think this Patriots team is better and this Denver team isn't as good(especially with the QB) his play has definitely dropped since then.

Danny Kannel lasted that long?!

Yup this team actually has a defense

I don't think Peyton will give them problems, it will all come down to how quickly they get open with a full of cast of characters against that potent Denver D. I'd actually like Denvers odds of winning this particular game with Osweiler more- I think when he's at his best he can do some of the things Kubiak needs him to do to keep the Patriots honest defensively. He was very composed in the first game against the Pats- he took a beating that I'm not sure Peyton would have survived.

Gonna be a fun one. 24-16 Patriots.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Pats and by a lot. This won't be close. Noodle arm Manning won't be able to pass on the Pats defense. Pats had the second most sacks in the league and will have a field day against Denver's O-Line. Denver's only hope is to run the ball. Depending on the status of Mayo, Hightower, Collins, they may have fair to great success. Brady's got his weapons back, and barring TJ Ward and crew playing their dirty game of trying to take out Gronk's knees like every other game, the Pats will be able to move the ball with enough success to win the game.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I do think the "let's get Peyton to the SB" motivation could help. But then again if he's been a bad apple to the team because he got benched maybe there's no love there. Tough to tell how the team feels about him truly.

The "lets win another one back-to-back to piss of Goodell and all the haters" motivation helps the Pats too. Or the "This will solidify Brady as the GOAT with no arguments anymore"

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Its not really ignorant. Its all about him. He's been injured for awhile now. Numbness in the fingers and what not. He hasn't performed on any big stage and he's still out there because for whatever reason he has to have every god damn record next to his name. I don't think anyone would argue at this point that Denver is so much better off with him than they are with Brock Osweiler. That tells you when its time to hang it up.

"All about me".

Like I said. Ignorant narrative.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Lol....I think it'd be VERY different if what happened, happened before the season. Nobody really retires mid season but I couldn't see a guy like him or any "big time" QB be willing to knowingly sit the bench all year if they were healthy. He wasn't healthy so its not like there was a choice there. He tried to play injured and stunk. Its very different then him just simply losing the job in camp or something. I can't see him coming back next year and beyond if he's not guaranteed to start.

I don't even feel like justifying this with a response but I like how we're speaking in hypothetical assumptions now and the goal posts are being moved.

And as for Peyton's prospects next year, chances are he won't be back in Denver. Hell, if he wins a ring, he'll likely retire. Don't try and presume you know how he would handle a demotion, though. It's clear that you're hardly anything but objective when it comes to Manning.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
W/ Hightower: 15 carries for 43 yards

Of course there was a difference once Hightower went out.

Hillman up the gut, Hillman up the gut, Hillman up the gut stopped.

And before you get your panties in a knot, and fail to understand that I'm not discounting Hightower's injury and the effect it had, I know that Hightower's absence contributed to the success somewhat.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Dismissing it so easily is equally ignorant. We'll never know one way or another, but gutting it out to the detriment of his team until pretty much the instant he took the yards record is circumstantial but pretty damning.

I'm dismissing it because the statement is contrary to the facts.

And if you're going to make an arbitrary statement, you damn well better have something to back it up with other than biased opinion and flimsy speculation.

God, this board is ridiculous come playoff time.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Yeah they lost in 2013 but I think this Patriots team is better and this Denver team isn't as good(especially with the QB) his play has definitely dropped since then.

Not to mention they were down Gronk, Vollmer, Mayo and Wilfork, and lost Talib early in that game.

Pats beat Denver in the regular season that season. Pats could've easily won the game this season as well, but have a good chance of returning the favour in beating Denver after losing in the regular season.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
and barring TJ Ward and crew playing their dirty game of trying to take out Gronk's knees like every other game,

You see Amendola recklessly launch himself into a defenseless player's head?

Yeah, didn't think so. Before you have the nerve to call another team's players out, take a look at your own.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
I'm dismissing it because the statement is contrary to the facts.

And if you're going to make an arbitrary statement, you damn well better have something to back it up with other than biased opinion and flimsy speculation.

God, this board is ridiculous come playoff time.

To which "facts" are you referring?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
To which "facts" are you referring?

Peyton's teammates, coaches and those who have been associated with him from his days at Tennessee, Indianapolis and Denver never giving any indication whatsoever that he's anything but the ultimate teammate.

So this narrative that he's selfish, driven by personal goals at the expense of his team, where is it coming from? It certainly has never come from anybody that's played with, coached with or managed Manning. I know HF posters think that their arm chair QB credentials provide them insight into things that they know nothing about, but they really don't.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
Peyton's teammates, coaches and those who have been associated with him from his days at Tennessee, Indianapolis and Denver never giving any indication whatsoever that he's anything but the ultimate teammate.

So this narrative that he's selfish, driven by personal goals at the expense of his team, where is it coming from? It certainly has never come from anybody that's played with, coached with or managed Manning. I know HF posters think that their arm chair QB credentials provide them insight into things that they know nothing about, but they really don't.

Unless you're Johnny Manziel or Geno Smith or some other mediocre young starter, no one is calling out the QB. Especially when the team is winning.
There was a time when his personal goals helped his team win games, Peyton throwing for 400 yards and 7 touchdowns was good for everyone, except snaps hungry backups in blowouts (insert frustrated Osweiler.gif). This season, he cost his team possession after possession up until the moment he broke the all time yards record.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

Yeah, didn't think so. Before you have the nerve to call another team's players out, take a look at your own.

Hope you remember:

:eek:
:lol:

or this particular post would be quite hypocritical. :sarcasm:

Hint: It involves a former Patriot

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia

one instance vs. a career of doing it. hmmm

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Unless you're Johnny Manziel or Geno Smith or some other mediocre young starter, no one is calling out the QB. Especially when the team is winning.
There was a time when his personal goals helped his team win games, Peyton throwing for 400 yards and 7 touchdowns was good for everyone, except snaps hungry backups in blowouts (insert frustrated Osweiler.gif). This season, he cost his team possession after possession up until the moment he broke the all time yards record.

Presuming that Peyton selfishly stayed in to the detriment of the team, you really think he has the sway to override Kubiak and/or Elway? The fact that Peyton has been injured and it had an effect on his performance this season is not up for dispute, but trying to correlate the coincidence of his being finally yanked with the game in which he broke the yardage record is speculative and disingenuous to the facts and reality that at that point it was clear that he wasn't physically able to play football unlike previous games where despite the bad decisions, he wasn't hindered anywhere near as badly.

And Osweiler, while he had his moments (a half against Cincy, a half against Pittsburgh, a quarter against the Patsies), he was equally as ineffective running Gary Kubiak's offense until Kubiak was forced to abandon it and let Brock run from shotgun. He did take care of the ball better in this game managing offense, but not much different than the results Peyton has had, other than that.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
Presuming that Peyton selfishly stayed in to the detriment of the team, you really think he has the sway to override Kubiak and/or Elway? The fact that Peyton has been injured and it had an effect on his performance this season is not up for dispute, but trying to correlate the coincidence of his being finally yanked with the game in which he broke the yardage record is speculative and disingenuous to the facts and reality that at that point it was clear that he wasn't physically able to play football unlike previous games where despite the bad decisions, he wasn't hindered anywhere near as badly.

And Osweiler, while he had his moments (a half against Cincy, a half against Pittsburgh, a quarter against the Patsies), he was equally as ineffective running Gary Kubiak's offense until Kubiak was forced to abandon it and let Brock run from shotgun. He did take care of the ball better in this game managing offense, but not much different than the results Peyton has had, other than that.

Peyton absolutely has the sway to override Kubiak. There was even some smoke earlier this season about him refusing to be a backup. Kubiak has accomplished nothing in the NFL, Peyton is a guaranteed no Brainerd first ballot HOFer. And it's been clear that he wasn't physically able to play since the second half of last season, especially in the loss to the Colts. It isn't for no reason that whether or not he'd retire after last season was such a hot topic. The noodle arm jokes didn't start during that game.
The results were the same, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think simply taking care of the ball isn't a major improvement over what Peyton offered.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hope you remember:

:eek:
:lol:

or this particular post would be quite hypocritical. :sarcasm:

Hint: It involves a former Patriot

What are you referring to? Talib? Or the Welker hit on Talib back in 2013?

I don't defend my players when they punch at another players head or poke them in their eyes. I also don't scream cheap shot when they take a player out cleanly which unfortunately results in an injury ala the hit on Gronkowski this season and the Welker pick play on Talib in the AFC Championship back in 2013. After all, it is the Pats who utilize that same exact pick play more than anybody else.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Peyton absolutely has the sway to override Kubiak. There was even some smoke earlier this season about him refusing to be a backup. Kubiak has accomplished nothing in the NFL, Peyton is a guaranteed no Brainerd first ballot HOFer. And it's been clear that he wasn't physically able to play since the second half of last season, especially in the loss to the Colts. It isn't for no reason that whether or not he'd retire after last season was such a hot topic. The noodle arm jokes didn't start during that game.
The results were the same, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think simply taking care of the ball isn't a major improvement over what Peyton offered.

That report that was nothing more than speculation and vehemently denied by Elway himself. So once again, you're operating under the basis of assumption, insinuation and personal opinion.

You're kidding yourself if you think that Peyton has the sway to override Kubiak and Elway to the detriment of the team. It's a ridiculous notion, naive, and not even worth responding to. Taking care of the ball is something I didn't disagree with being an important factor, thanks for putting words into my mouth though.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
That report that was nothing more than speculation and vehemently denied by Elway himself. So once again, you're operating under the basis of assumption, insinuation and personal opinion.

You're kidding yourself if you think that Peyton has the sway to override Kubiak and Elway to the detriment of the team. It's a ridiculous notion, naive, and not even worth responding to. Taking care of the ball is something I didn't disagree with being an important factor, thanks for putting words into my mouth though.

It wasn't just speculation, it came from a source. That's why I called it smoke. Of course Elway denied it, not denying it would divide the locker room.
As long as the team was winning in spite of him, Kubiak couldn't take out Manning.
It was a simple inference. You dismissed taking care of the ball because the results were the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad