GDT: AEW Fyter Fest | June 29th 2019 - 830pm - Daytona Beach, FL

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
All and all I really enjoyed. A little it of everything. It was fun. It was high flying. It was brutal. The only thing missing is some really solid storytelling but this event wasn't for storytelling.

I really enjoyed it. Wasn't anything mindblowing but I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Just say Bobby Lashley shows up. Where is the believability?
First off, this isn’t a shoot fight. Wrestling has made people suspend belief for decades. Secondly, even if it was a shoot fight, the bigger dude isn’t going to beat someone with more technical prowess and speed.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
First off, this isn’t a shoot fight. Wrestling has made people suspend belief for decades. Secondly, even if it was a shoot fight, the bigger dude isn’t going to beat someone with more technical prowess and speed.

Oh dude.. :laugh:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I love Mox, Janela, all that, but **** you couldn't pay me enough to do that thumbtack spot into the bottom of my feet what the ****.

Or a ****ing flip onto a folded open steel chair

speaking of the ****ing back, what the ****ing Darby taking that bump off the apron, good god

and that chair shot... Christ. We know enough about head injuries and CTE to not need that tbh. That's one aspect I don't need from AEW.

As an ECW boy I’m all for the tacks.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh dude.. :laugh:

You've pushed this mantra before and that's your thing. Cool. That is what you like about wrestling. Totally understandable. There are a few people on this board that have very very very out there opinions and I'll respectfully say whatever moves you in this wrestling world -so be it.

But the "size" being a realistic factor in entertainment has died about 5-10 years ago man. And if that's your thing - cool. But at least acknowledge that part is dead. It's a new era whether you like it or not.

Oct 18, 2011
All and all I really enjoyed. A little it of everything. It was fun. It was high flying. It was brutal. The only thing missing is some really solid storytelling but this event wasn't for storytelling.

I really enjoyed it. Wasn't anything mindblowing but I really enjoyed it.
I only caught Moxley and janela and loved it

The general consensus is AEWs top tier is very strong but the underneath needs alot of work. The good news is someone like Janela was elevated tonight in terms of separating himself from the guys lower on the card

you'd rather it be this way than the reverse. It's up to the top talent to uplift the others and for the company to get the characters over

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
So my theory with the Spears chairshot...haven't re-read this entire thread...but I can remember when Spears was signed on one of the YouTube shows. Cody called him a good hand and could be a trainer. Are those comments going to be used as the catalyst for the attack? This was all a work but that shot really got Cody good. It got Spears tons of heat so I bet that's the direction this goes.

Also, Darby Allin was put over great in that Cody match. Curious to see how he gets used other than being put in spotfest matches.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Cody called him a good hand and could be a trainer. Are those comments going to be used as the catalyst for the attack?

I mean almost certainly. as soon as he said that it was clearly an angle setup

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Young Bucks talking about how the chair shot was all Cody's idea and they "gimmicked" the chair beforehand and it clearly didn't work.

Also, to the point above, pretty much 100% confirmed as Spears shared that 2 second clip on Twitter of Cody calling him a "good hand".

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Unprotected head shots is not good and they should know better.

Reactions: Fro

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Unprotected head shots is not good and they should know better.

It really is f***ing dumb. I get that they want to push the line with their product and to separate themselves from WWE, but the days of laying it in on guys straight to the dome should be over. I can see how they can be a storytelling mechanic in the modern day, but I'd really rather do without them.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I’m in the camp of unprotected chair shots to the head, tacks, barbed wire etc...do nothing for me. It’s just stupid levels of pain for no reason. There are other ways to sell a brutal match, see the Rhodes bros match last show.

I don’t like tack spots at all. They seem like desperation to me. Hey we got nothing else working for us in this match let’s just put the sharp things all over. No thanks

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I didn't understand how Cody got ripped open. Each time they showed the replay it looked like the chair came nowhere close to the back of Cody's head. And on that note.. SCU and MJF coming to his aid was really quite confusing. It was a group of faces, an extreme heel, and a tweener. And MJF showing care for someone like that AFTER his amazing heel promo was super strange.

Show was great. But not NXT great. Better hope they don't run Saturdays against NXT.

Fight for the Fallen looks great. But if the price point is the same as Double or Nothing.... I'll be watching Evolve on the WWE Network.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Thoughts/Grades:

Pre-show:

SCU vs Private Party vs Best Friends.

Really liked the first half of the match. Thought it got Private Party over as faces and had some good work. Second half devolved into a spotfest. I'm not really a Best Friends fan, so wasn't really a fan of them going over. Post-match angle did nothing for me. C+

Librarian whatever the f*** match.

The librarian gimmick is legitimately awful. I would be very happy if it is not a thing very soon. Match was alright, but really dragged down by how bad that opening promo was. D+

Michael Nakazawa vs Eric Jebaily.

I'm not really a comedy match guy, and this was not a good comedy match. I would like erase this one from my memory. Some people justify this by saying that it's a parody of Shane McMahon, but let's not fight bad with awful. F

Main Card:

Cima vs Christopher Daniels.

Decent match from two guys that are very good. Not amazing or anything, but everything looked crisp and it was a fun opener. B-

Womens three way match.

A little up and down for me, but I liked it. Started a little sloppy, but by the end they both got Nyla Rose over as a monster heel and the Japanese women as legit wrestlers. Wasn't sure how the Joshi aesthetic would get over with the crowd, but they were into the it by the end. I think I would have preferred Nyla Rose to go over here, but at the end of the day it was a fun match. B

Cody vs Darby Allin.

I've always criticized Cody for not really being a great wrestler, but I am starting to appreciate the way that he leans into his storytelling and psychology in a promotion where there doesn't really seem to be a ton of it. Darby goes all out on the gimmick and I do worry about it eventually becoming cringe, but holy shit he bumped like an absolute animal. Wasn't a classic or anything, but did get Darby over in a major way. Not against the post-match angle, but the unprotected chairshot was very dumb. B+

Mens four way match.

MJF is a world class heel. Book him correctly and he has the ability to be a legend in this industry. Obviously there was a lot of talent in the ring so it would be hard to have a bad match. Storytelling was mostly about MJF vs Adam Page, the Luchasauras/Jungle Boy team is pretty entertaining. Felt like Jimmy Havoc was a bit out of his depth here, and not surprised he ate the pin. Felt a lot like the type of match that's going to be a weekly TV main event very soon. B

Lucha Bros & Laredo Kid vs The Elite.

The Young Bucks are not for me. I'm not one of these people that outright hates them or anything, and a lot of their skits and stuff are pretty funny. They're just not my type of wrestling. No Grade.

Joey Janela vs John Moxley.

No real build or anything, did feel a lot like violence for the sake of violence. That said, it was a pretty good hardcore match and certainly staked out where AEW is willing to go with their product. Moxley felt like a huge star, and the post-match beatdown angle was very good. Not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. B+.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Watching replay now...only way I know how

Attachments

• 20190630_115538.jpg
    20190630_115538.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: ColePens

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL