GDT: AEW Fyter Fest | June 29th 2019 - 830pm - Daytona Beach, FL

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Darby's reasoning for doing these bumps really makes his character beyond interesting. I absolutely love it. They need to replay it over and over. The guy is fascinating which is why I hated when SS came out after that match. The story showed Darby's fight. No need to make him 3rd wheel at the end.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It really does disturb me how often I find myself agreeing with him anymore.
It just comes down to different takes on wrestling.

I don’t agree with Cornette on his absolute hatred for Kenny Omega at all, but I find myself agreeing with him more than not in most cases. He’s super old school and a total carny, though, so I don’t know what that says about me if I’m agreeing with him more than not lol.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hear a lot of negativity on Buck/Omega matches and I don't get it. I don't understand why people dislike them. I think they are amazing. I really enjoy it.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i saw Darby Allin in march at the 20th anniversary of IWS and it was like a huge hardcore match and well. thats his thing.
jumping from 2nd floors through tables and crap.
its super cool he was able to take a beating without weapons. its a cool story and proof AEW can give you your moments to shine.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
the bucks can go and fight in any company (from your local indy to NJPW) and can produce great content with or without money (BTE to AEW).
at this point Bucks deserve absolutely nothing but respect..

Oct 18, 2011
Cornette being right for once
He's right alot when he breaks things down and analyzes why something is good or bad. These pre shows are damaging AEW.

Go back and watch the DON buy in and just watch with your initial excitement removed...that battle Royal was alot of Indy garbage that won't get over to a bigger audience.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I hear a lot of negativity on Buck/Omega matches and I don't get it. I don't understand why people dislike them. I think they are amazing. I really enjoy it.

A lot of Omega matches are good. I think he got overrated a bit because the Okada matches were a lot more about Okada being one of the best wrestlers in history than it was about Omega being that, but still he has a lot of good stuff.

YB matches are just...I don't get them. I know they were heels at one point, but they have the crowd behind them so I guess they're working as faces? I don't really know...They don't sell for sympathy or do anything that suggests they are working as faces, however they also don't really do any heat spots or anything to work as heels, save for making fun of 90's wrestlers.

Total lack of technical wrestling (this is the biggest complaint I have about indie guys in general), and I don't really think that a lot of their traditional moves look very crisp. People like them because they come up with a lot of original spots, but none of their moves mean that much to me. They hit a billion huge double team moves in every match, but almost all of them get kicked out of. I know that a lot of modern indie wrestling is pure spotfest shit, but YB matches are among the absolute worst at this. Huge top rope move, kickout, little to no selling before the next one, repeat repeat repeat. It feels a lot more like gymnastics than wrestling to me, and that's not my thing.

I try not to be a hater on them, so I typically just pass on the their matches and move on. Most of the time when they are on I use it as an opportunity to get a snack and go to the bathroom. They fill a role in the industry and I don't begrudge them for it, it's just not for me. I am a huge fan of Zack Sabre Jr, so I get that not everything can appeal to everybody.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
A lot of Omega matches are good. I think he got overrated a bit because the Okada matches were a lot more about Okada being one of the best wrestlers in history than it was about Omega being that, but still he has a lot of good stuff.

YB matches are just...I don't get them. I know they were heels at one point, but they have the crowd behind them so I guess they're working as faces? I don't really know...They don't sell for sympathy or do anything that suggests they are working as faces, however they also don't really do any heat spots or anything to work as heels, save for making fun of 90's wrestlers.

Total lack of technical wrestling (this is the biggest complaint I have about indie guys in general), and I don't really think that a lot of their traditional moves look very crisp. People like them because they come up with a lot of original spots, but none of their moves mean that much to me. They hit a billion huge double team moves in every match, but almost all of them get kicked out of. I know that a lot of modern indie wrestling is pure spotfest ****, but YB matches are among the absolute worst at this. Huge top rope move, kickout, little to no selling before the next one, repeat repeat repeat. It feels a lot more like gymnastics than wrestling to me, and that's not my thing.

I try not to be a hater on them, so I typically just pass on the their matches and move on. Most of the time when they are on I use it as an opportunity to get a snack and go to the bathroom. They fill a role in the industry and I don't begrudge them for it, it's just not for me. I am a huge fan of Zack Sabre Jr, so I get that not everything can appeal to everybody.

See, I'm the opposite. I love the Bucks, but ZSJ puts me to sleep.

It's not that I just love the flips and spot fest stuff either. While I do love guys like the Bucks, Ospreay, Ricochet, etc I do appreciate a good storytelling match like Cody/Dustin even if the wrestling wasn't great. Or just a a straight up good wrestling match like Shingo-Sho from BSOJ.

I also love Omega and I don't think it was just Okada making him better. He's top 3-5 in the world right now.

Reactions: Disclose

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Okay that definitely looks like it's legit. I actually just went to my PC after that (I had only watched the replays on television about 50 times) and put YouTube to 0.25 speed. Definitely legit.

I definitely can see how that could've split him open with the part of the chair that hit him. I was a little grossed out by the head shot but it was the back of the head...if that makes it any less bad.

The chair shot had to be have been a work but the hard-way blood was a botch. I think he was supposed to get him with the seat of the chair and how it can fold up. The top of the chair is the part you don't want to be hit with. We'll have to wait 10 years for Conrad to do a AEW podcast with Cody to get the story behind it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->