GDT: AEW Fyter Fest | June 29th 2019 - 830pm - Daytona Beach, FL

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Cody/Darby was good until the chair shot...Darby looked good, will be a solid mid card guy

I wish they would have kept the SS stuff for another day. Darby battling and being persistent was the story told. He got pushed to the side when Spears comes in. I didn't like that. Cody should have beat the shit out of Darby after the match until officials came out. Darby went from being a star to being back in the shadows. The story of him being a fighter was truly something.

And the unprotected chair shot is f***ing dumb. Can't do it.

Reactions: Fro

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Liked elite vs AAA...but spots were too scripted...but I know that's what I get with a YB match...still enjoyed it, and how they played up the gamer theme...

Appreciate Kenny taking all the pics with fans

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
It's still stupid. He doesn't look like he a heel when he's out there with SCU and Cody.

Darby is Main Event level.

This is my first watch of Darby...He can clearly take a beating, but would be interested in seeing more of his offense to know how I feel about him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So Simon essentially disliked the entire pre-show.

Also gave the Cody/Darby match an up, but the unprotected chair shot a down.

Three strong shots to the back would have been just as effective as one to the head.

Reactions: ColePens

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Yeah, could do without the hardcore match...they were great in the 90s...but meh...

Overall good...

I think the hardcore match just for the sake of hardcore is dumb. Maybe it was edgy in the 90's, but not anymore.

That said, I do think there is a spot for a lot of the hardcore stuff, just within the realm of blowoff matches and no holds barred contests.

Reactions: ColePens and Fro

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Thing is Moxley won’t even be able to keep that up on weekly TV with sponsors, advertisers, etc that you need to appeal to in that time slot. It was a fun little spectacle, but yeah. I was hoping the tacos were at least gimmicked and didn’t have the pins, but nope. Janela’s foot was leaking from that.

All the respect to them, but I’ve outgrown that type of match and it doesn’t do much for me unless it’s a blood feud that warrants it. I don’t know. Barbed wire and all that stuff doesn’t do much for me anymore. The last time I got excited for it was at ONS 2006 with Edge & Foley vs. Dreamer & Funk... I was 11.

That chair shot to the head can f*** right off. I love how they posted an update on Twitter “12 stitches and no concussion” like all concussions are the same and instant. It’s just not necessary at all.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
In total agreement with this thread on hardcore matches. It was something to see in the 90s but man it's aged poorly. I much prefer a story than just a random hardcore match.

Last night was one of the first times AEW felt very indy. I would imagine that being the fact that the show wasn't supposed to be a big event and was just a partnership to west the appetite for many fans.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I thought most of DoN felt very Indy as well. From the production, terrible commentary, and the first few matches. Wasn’t until later in the show it felt a little more legit obviously with the big matches happening. Future is really bright for the company but its definitely gonna have a lot of growing pains. The more wrestling available the better though so it should be a fun ride

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think that match with Moxley had one sole purpose: to wash the WWE stink off of him, and re-introduce fans to who he was prior to his WWE run.

I doubt he'll have more matches like that in AEW.

Reactions: Grackle Party

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
In total agreement with this thread on hardcore matches. It was something to see in the 90s but man it's aged poorly. I much prefer a story than just a random hardcore match.

Last night was one of the first times AEW felt very indy. I would imagine that being the fact that the show wasn't supposed to be a big event and was just a partnership to west the appetite for many fans.
We were kids back then too when we liked hardcore shit. We’ve come to appreciate stories as we’ve grown older.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I liked the Moxley/Janela match. There was nothing crazy to it lol

The pre-show one was meant to be stupid. Whatever, the fans were into it.

The production improved a lot. They need to continue that.

Apparently the chair hit Cody with was gimmicked, but when he hit Cody with the chair, his head went through it slightly and it caused Cody to be cut on the back of his head.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
This is my first watch of Darby...He can clearly take a beating, but would be interested in seeing more of his offense to know how I feel about him.
Here's a full match and a mini-doc. The guy is literally crazy. He's had some great matches for Evolve but there's not easily accessible. He's only been wrestling a few years.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Apparently the chair hit Cody with was gimmicked, but when he hit Cody with the chair, his head went through it slightly and it caused Cody to be cut on the back of his head.
I've watched the chair shot a million times. Are we sure they aren't playing us? I don't see anyway this chair shot cuts the BACK of his head??

Maybe Cody turned his head just enough that it caught the back of his head - but even then it's the wrong side of the head. I dunno, I just don't see it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I've watched the chair shot a million times. Are we sure they aren't playing us? I don't see anyway this chair shot cuts the BACK of his head??

Maybe Cody turned his head just enough that it caught the back of his head. I dunno, I just don't see it.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Okay that definitely looks like it's legit. I actually just went to my PC after that (I had only watched the replays on television about 50 times) and put YouTube to 0.25 speed. Definitely legit.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Oh, one other thing I love is that they did the tension with Yuka Sakazaki and Riho.

I think Yuka is fun as hell, so I'm super excited that it looks like she's gonna be part of the roster for good. Crowd loves her too.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
You couldn’t pay me enough money to go through barbed wire and thumbtacks like these dudes did in the main event. f***.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
You couldn’t pay me enough money to go through barbed wire and thumbtacks like these dudes did in the main event. ****.
I'd rather fall onto some thumbtacks than Darby's coffin dive onto the apron.

f***. That.

I'll never forget the day Alex Shelley and Conrad Kennedy III turned my chest into raw hamburger like 3 days before I started college. And I didn't even have to bump for that pain. :laugh:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd rather fall onto soon thumbtacks than Darby's coffin dive onto the apron.

****. That.

I'll never forget the day Alex Shelley and Conrad Kennedy III turned my chest into raw hamburger like 3 days before I started college. And I didn't even have to bump for that pain. :laugh:
Yeah scratch that. Give me the tacks over that apron bump. What the f***, Darby.

Reactions: Natey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad