GDT: AEW Double or Nothing | May 25th 2019 - 8pm - Las Vegas

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yeah but let's say they make the change in 6 months, alot can happen but I agree with you about the undercard, Scorpio Sky and MJF were the two guys that stood out beyond the top guys

Yeah. I mean in the next year though. You've gotta figure, other than a few side shows, they're 4 months away from their next PPV. Six months from now, they'll barely be into their TV run. MJF is gonna take awhile to build, and I don't see them turning Moxley or Omega heel for the start of that run, as they'll need those guys to draw.

So at that point, I don't see Jericho turning face any time soon. I think the only person that could step in during that time is Cody, but you still run a serious risk of only having one main event heel if that guy gets hurt. That's how WWE f***ed themselves into having a bunch of guys flip face and heel in a month when Roman's leukemia struck.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
How is Moxley not a heel? He attacks omega who was clearly the face here so I think they are positioning it for him to be the heel vs. Omega

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I have to say that JR did a great job, the other two guys gotta get alot better but we need to give them time to improve
LOL WHAT?

If Excalibur wasn't on that commentary team it would have been the worst of all-time. Ross was better then he was in NJPW but still not good.

Seriously without Excalibur I would have had to put the show on mute.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
A few thoughts;

* I hated that they brought up the 10 second tag timer and then completely ignored it all night. Seemed very strange to make a big deal of it for it to mean nothing.

* Thought Jack Evans stole the show. The guy is the best kind of spot monkey because he does the little things too. And he's just as much of a dick as MJF.

* Cool surprise with Kong.

* Super Smash Bros..... not my favourite but more decent depth.

* Moxley was expected but still awesome. Strange that his debut match won't be against Omega though since I think Omega fights CIMA next?

* Shawn Spears got a great pop. Easily the biggest reaction in the battle royale after only Adam Page. MJF will be a star.

* Both women's matches were good. Really liked Yuka Sakazaki. Thought she was absolutely brilliant. Nice to see Aja, even if she's on her last legs.

* Bucks had some nice call backs.

* Loved commentary's cover of Kylie talking to Brit. Love that they didn't ignore it.

Overall - just a phenomenal show that will only improve going forward.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
seriously. the commentary talk.... it sucked cuz it was 3 people (4 in the first women match) and many times they were having problems with the cameras, not helping them.

JR was good, but the other were probably better....
its not random people they hired.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
How is Moxley not a heel? He attacks omega who was clearly the face here so I think they are positioning it for him to be the heel vs. Omega

Think he's got that Steve Austin type role of, if you're in the same ring, you're eating a stunner. Regardless of who you are.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Here's the main concern that I have after watching this PPV and thinking about the future of this company.

I think over time people are going to see some of the value in the slower, WWE style matches. The big, over the top, Young Bucks style huge finisher/kickout spammed 50x in a row matches are cool on irregular PPV's or the New Japan Circuit, but I think you're going to get very quickly diminishing returns when you're putting those matches on national TV every single week.

I worry this roster is going to be too indie-riffic and just devolve into ridiculous spotfest wrestling every week. If that's what you're into that could be cool for a while, but eventually you're going to devalue everyones moveset and it's just going to be video game wrestling.

I am not a fan of the gymnastic style wrestling like the Young Bucks where it's so fast paced and so over the top that it looks too choreographiced. It looks like they're dancing around the ring. Quite frankly it looks ridiculous. Don't get me wrong it takes a lot of skill and I appreciate that aspect of it. But there is no sense of realism and that's what you're supposed to have in pro wrestling. So I get what you're saying and I agree. But that is their jam and Cody said he isn't going to change who they are.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Think he's got that Steve Austin type role of, if you're in the same ring, you're eating a stunner. Regardless of who you are.

Yeah, considering he hit one on Jericho, the Ref and Omega, it’s hard to really call him the heel. He’s more of the tweener

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
LOL WHAT?

If Excalibur wasn't on that commentary team it would have been the worst of all-time. Ross was better then he was in NJPW but still not good.

Seriously without Excalibur I would have had to put the show on mute.
This may be the typical Natey thing where you like someone so you turn a blind eye. He was brutal. Not as bad as the other guy and a lot of it has to do with prep for the entire show and queues. But commentary was very bad. Those 2 on the preshow were a disaster.

Once again... it's show 1. These guys are talented. I bet you everyone is up to speed by 2020.

Call a spade a spade.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
This may be the typical Natey thing where you like someone so you turn a blind eye. He was brutal. Not as bad as the other guy and a lot of it has to do with prep for the entire show and queues. But commentary was very bad. Those 2 on the preshow were a disaster.

Once again... it's show 1. These guys are talented. I bet you everyone is up to speed by 2020.

Call a spade a spade.
Go read anywhere. Excalibur is incredible. 99% agree.

Blind eye.. what a jackass.

Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It’s weird. I’ve seen some people praise the commentary team, some people praising Jim Ross and then some people hating Jim Ross, and some people hating the commentary team.

My viewpoint? Jim Ross was good, and he needs new partners for TV. The Lucha guy was poor and the other guy kept staring directly into the camera the entire time they showed the commentators.

Reactions: TD Charlie

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What I liked was the connection they made for Moxley and Omega. If Omega was coming into WWE, he'd have to fight some gatekeeper like Nakamura did with Dolph Ziggler or Asuka did with Emma. AJ with Jericho (although that was fine). They brought in Moxley and immediately did the biggest thing they could do with him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What I liked was the connection they made for Moxley and Omega. If Omega was coming into WWE, he'd have to fight some gatekeeper like Nakamura did with Dolph Ziggler or Asuka did with Emma. AJ with Jericho (although that was fine). They brought in Moxley and immediately did the biggest thing they could do with him.

When was the last time a debut actually made an impact and had a moment?

Kevin Owens with John Cena?
The Shield?

Even Lacey Evans, imagine if she made her debut, but knocking Becky out with a right? Instead of walking up and down the ramp for months on end.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When was the last time a debut actually made an impact and had a moment?

Kevin Owens with John Cena?
The Shield?

Even Lacey Evans, imagine if she made her debut, but knocking Becky out with a right? Instead of walking up and down the ramp for months on end.

Probably Finn Balor winning 2 matches in one night, one against Roman Reigns on the opening night of the brand split

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Go read anywhere. Excalibur is incredible. 99% agree.

Blind eye.. what a jackass.

Best of luck in your future endeavours.
Yes i think both guys are amazing... they just had a terrible night. Mostly due to the preparation. Go watch the preshow again and see how many times they were clueless on what to do and had to correct one another. It was very amateur. And i guarantee it's one thing on the list to fix.

But oh classic Natey response. I chuckled at how immature you get when you dont know how to just discuss something on a

Wait for it

Discussion board..... isn't that what message boards are for?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah and they sure as hell don't want you to remember it.

That's crazy.

Like even recently, the introductions they give people to the main roster when coming from 205Live or NXT is whack

Lars Sullivan? Lucha House Party
Lacey Evans? Walked up and down a ramp
Ricochet & Black? Put together in a tag team and then split up quickly and both are in purgatory already
EC3? Hasn't existed
Otis & Tucker? Barely have existed
AOP? Fired their manager that was a big part of their image, did nothing, got injured
Viking War Raider Experience? Missing in Action
Nakamura? Ziggler
Cedric Alexander? Missing in action most of the time
Buddy Murphy? Not spoken of or seen since it being announced he's going to SD
Sanity? Left off TV the entire time. Now split up.
Roode? Ziggler
Zayn? Continued NXT feud with Owens (this is like the one semi-positive one, and it can be said they should have established Zayn before restarting that feud)
Nikki Cross? Did nothing. Cheering for others backstage despite it being against her character, is now friends with Alexa Bliss
Almas? Sin Cara
Asuka? Emma, Dana Brooke and Alicia Fox

The only good one I've found is Finn Balor, which as you said they never mention anymore, and Samoa Joe, who got backed by HHH and beat Rollins and Reigns etc.

Even their big names, they don't put into top feuds. It's always crap stuff against filler or they do nothing for months on end.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yes i think both guys are amazing... they just had a terrible night. Mostly due to the preparation. Go watch the preshow again and see how many times they were clueless on what to do and had to correct one another. It was very amateur. And i guarantee it's one thing on the list to fix.

But oh classic Natey response. I chuckled at how immature you get when you dont know how to just discuss something on a

Wait for it

Discussion board..... isn't that what message boards are for?
Immature I get when you take personal shots because my opinion was student than yours? Nice. :laugh:

We could have had a nicer discussion but you immediately made it personal... instead of just discussing the point.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Immature I get when you take personal shots because my opinion was student than yours? Nice. :laugh:

We could have had a nicer discussion but you immediately made it personal... instead of just discussing the point.
They had no clue who they were throwing to. They said wrong names over and over. They sounded nervous as f***. Ross gave the wrong website. They fumbled over one another. They didn't call important spots.

The sad thing is, they are probably sitting there putting together a gameplan to be amazing while you defend blindly.

Theyll be great. We know that. DON... nope.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Moxley needs a better finisher than his dirty deeds if he’s supposed to be a badass tweener
I'm not an Ambrose/Moxley fan, but I've always thought his finisher was by far the best of anyone in the SHIELD, including all of Rollins' various finishers.

A kick to the gut and a sudden impact to the head. Sounds similar to another famous finisher...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No numbers have been released yet, but speculation is, the buy rate numbers were impressive.

Dave said there were like 200,000 searches based on Google Trends during the show, and then when you factor in social media trends, it was even more of a hit in terms of online interaction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad