Ads on Jerseys coming

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It'd be melodramatic to say I'd quit hockey, but I'll really, really gladly boycott whoever's dumb enough to slap their corporate logo on the Buffalo Sabres jersey. Like, gleefully. I'll ****ing lead the boycott. It could be Wegmans or my cell phone provider or the whatever company I love/need most.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Was bound to happen. The NBA has been making rumblings about this for years so I'm kinda glad the NHL is the one to go first, let the rest of the leagues follow hockey.

Why on Earth would we want the one thing that other leagues follow the NHL on, be something as terrible as this?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
How dare they put advertisements on Jerseys and equipment...They should all take a page from Nike, Reebok, Bauer, Easton, Etc on how much people hate to have their names on stuff the players have on :laugh::sarcasm:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
How dare they put advertisements on Jerseys and equipment...They should all take a page from Nike, Reebok, Bauer, Easton, Etc on how much people hate to have their names on stuff the players have on :laugh::sarcasm:

It's completely different if you manufacture the actual product. These are all performance goods, they're responsible for the performance of the gear itself, not the team.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
eh, if it means less commercials/promotions in game, or opens up availability to nonprofits for advertising, can't say it really affects my viewership one way or the other

not gonna be put out when eichel scores the cup winning goal with a NEW ERA in size 30 font on his shoulder

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
$4 million dollars per team? is this a ****ing joke. It's amazing how screwed us fans get, yet there is nothing we can do.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Like the owners and players don't make enough money already, huh ? It's no wonder after watching sports for 30+ years that I am not as interested as I once was.....

money and greed sucks.....

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
eh, if it means less commercials/promotions in game, or opens up availability to nonprofits for advertising, can't say it really affects my viewership one way or the other

not gonna be put out when eichel scores the cup winning goal with a NEW ERA in size 30 font on his shoulder

thats not what this means at all. Why would they take one form of advertisement out to put another in, and gain $0 out of it. This is going to be in addition to all current advertisements.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
thats not what this means at all. Why would they take one form of advertisement out to put another in, and gain $0 out of it. This is going to be in addition to all current advertisements.

it's the norm in europe

and the point was that if it isn't reduced it opens avenues for groups otherwise shut out of advertising such as nonprofits or local startups

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Not sure why you're all saying you won't buy jerseys. Every sport that does this right now makes jerseys available for sale without ads on them.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
if you're a twitter user, let's see if we can make #boycottnhljerseyads trend.

There's undoubtedly a level of blowback that would get this cancelled. For $4M per team, it's not worth damaging the league's brand.

Repost elsewhere as you see fit.

Clock

May 13, 2006
It's about time. Today we only have ads on the glass, the boards, and the ice itself while watching the game.

This will pretty much destroy any willingness I have to buy jerseys in the future.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I couldn't care less. There's advertising everywhere at NHL games as it is.
That's poor justification. There should be less advertising. Don't add more just because it's already (almost) everywhere else.

Personally, I'd be happy if they kept ads off the ice, boards and jerseys completely. TV broadcast? Do whatever you want. Arena? Arena, outside of the ice? Whatever.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I hope we never get illuminated boards. The brightness is so distracting and it drives me nuts.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Why on Earth would we want the one thing that other leagues follow the NHL on, be something as terrible as this?

Because it's going to be extremely successful. We don't know if that $120M number is over five years, one year, or what. Every sport wants to do this but none of them wants to go first.

EDIT: just read the clarification.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I love how you're all disgusted by the idea to have ads on jerseys, but are OK with the fact that there's ads everywhere else. From legal advice to new tires in every single ****ing stoppage of play. It's a lot more annoying than a few ads on a jersey.

And you're not being very intellectually honest by posting some of the worst European examples.

43a8135aae91207b.jpg

Is this really bothering you that much?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I love how you're all disgusted by the idea to have ads on jerseys, but are OK with the fact that there's ads everywhere else. From legal advice to new tires in every single ****ing stoppage of play. It's a lot more annoying than a few ads on a jersey.

First, do yourself a favor and don't group all fans of the NHL together in one ugly mass and say "we" don't have a problem with ads all over the flipping place.

Second, I will speak for myself when I say I don't mind ads on the Jumbotron or electronic banners in the stands, or around the concession stands. I have always hated ads on the ice, on the boards, on the glass, and behind the benches. And I will hate the ads on the jerseys as well. I live with it, as I have no choice if I want to watch NHL hockey. But I will hate it. Gone are the days of clean ice, clean boards, clean glass, and clean behind the benches. Oh well. Tolerate it.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Not surprised it will happen but hoping they aren't intrusive. Many of the European jerseys that I have seen look ridiculous. If it's something similar to the NFL practice jerseys (and not placed on the jerseys sold to fans) I could live with it. The league should set a minimum standard for how much revenue the ads generate and if they stop meeting that threshold remove them until they are able to generate more revenue. That's unlikely to happen but we can all dream. The higher salary cap may be beneficial to retaining more of our younger players. You can look at contracts as a percentage of the cap for awhile but at some point the cap is high enough that players won't warrant max contracts anyways

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
First, do yourself a favor and don't group all fans of the NHL together in one ugly mass and say "we" don't have a problem with ads all over the flipping place.

Second, I will speak for myself when I say I don't mind ads on the Jumbotron or electronic banners in the stands, or around the concession stands. I have always hated ads on the ice, on the boards, on the glass, and behind the benches. And I will hate the ads on the jerseys as well. I live with it, as I have no choice if I want to watch NHL hockey. But I will hate it. Gone are the days of clean ice, clean boards, clean glass, and clean behind the benches. Oh well. Tolerate it.
And you should probably do yourself a favor and not assume that I was talking about the entire NHL fanbase. Way to jump to conclusions.

I see no reason to get upset about ads, as long as they're not invasive (such as computer-generated ads on the glass, illuminated ads on the boards, TV ads when the game is actually being played, etc.). Ads on the boards, ads on the ice (as long as there's not too many of them) or on the jerseys don't bother me at all.

Once you get used to them, you don't really register them anymore when looking at the ice/jerseys/etc. It works pretty much the same way as banner blindness online.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
And you should probably do yourself a favor and not assume that I was talking about the entire NHL fanbase. Way to jump to conclusions.

I see no reason to get upset about ads, as long as they're not invasive (such as computer-generated ads on the glass, illuminated ads on the boards, TV ads when the game is actually being played, etc.). Ads on the boards, ads on the ice (as long as there's not too many of them) or on the jerseys don't bother me at all.

Once you get used to them, you don't really register them anymore when looking at the ice/jerseys/etc. It works pretty much the same way as banner blindness online.
It's visual noise and it distracting, even if only sub-consciously. Just because our brains get trained to "ignore" it, does not mean there is no negative effect.

Try browsing the internet for a while with no ad-blocking. You get used to it, learn to "ignore" it. Then start using ad-blocking. Suddenly everything seems so much cleaner, normal. Your mind is no longer being visually attacked and you didn't even know it was in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad