Adopting NBA Rules

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Top market teams already win the majority of championships, but this would guarantee it.

I'm a Blackhawks fan and even I'd be against it, if there was a soft cap we'd have won at least 3 or 4 from 2013-2017. Or had an Oilers style dynasty from 2010-now.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Zero cups = one of best teams?

Check your math.

Yeah they didn't win, but they were still one of the better teams in the league.

Maybe all that punk rock has rotted your brain, but believe it or not, you don't have to win a cup to be good, i.e San Jose has been one of the better teams in the NHL in the past decade and no cups.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Yeah they didn't win, but they were still one of the better teams in the league.

Maybe all that punk rock has rotted your brain, but believe it or not, you don't have to win a cup to be good, i.e San Jose has been one of the better teams in the NHL in the past decade and no cups.
You play for one reason. To win the cup. That's it.

I am a lifelong Canucks fan, so I know all about really good teams coming short, and I don't try and defend them, because they failed.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You cannot compare the NBA and NHL in this way. In the NBA, all it takes is one superstar and a couple complementary to turn a bad team into a contender, as the starters spend a very high percentage of the time in the game -- 90% or more. In hockey, you need more than a superstar and a couple of good players to build a contender. Even the best forwards on an NHL team only play about 40% of the game, and the top defensemen closer to 50%.
Except that we've seen that in hockey where you can have one star, maybe two, and still contend.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would prefer some flexibility. Particularly a system that allowed teams to exceed the cap to re-sign their own players to some degree but not to acquire free agents or traded assets.

If they want to do a soft cap/luxury tax system, then there is no need to have "player" exceptions.

If you want to spend over the cap, it's a certain rate for the first X amount, then a higher rate on the next Y amount over that.

Be it 50% on the first $10 million, then 100% on the next $10 million on top of that, then 150% on anything about that 2nd $10 million. Whatever makes sense for the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad