Adopting NBA Rules

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Toronto did so good when there wasnt a salary cap last time.
Montreal was Canada's largest richest city and the NHL's largest hockey market until the 90's. What's the respective track record of the Leafs vs Habs from 1945 - 1995?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I like the hard cap, but if there ever was an adoption of a luxury cap surplus. I’d only want it brought in if the cost was draft picks. Build a rubric of X amount of Cap + costs you Y draft pick each start and/or end of season you are said amount over.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
in the NBA because of the luxury tax and the insaneeee tv contract they have every team made money last year. except LeBron and the Cavs. and LeBron still has the audacity to conplain and want more help lol. mlb is just screwed. might as well make it a 12-15 team league. Tampa Bay received 45 million in luxury tax income from the big spenders and still loses a shit load of cash.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Only if the luxury tax paid goes into the pockets of budget teams (internal) so that they have extra money and incentive to spend over the internal budget :naughty::naughty:

So let the Leafs pay all the luxury tax they want and let them fund the salary for other teams :nod:

One of the things I like about the NBA salary structure is that they dont use AAV.

Instead they use actual dollars paid that year as the amount that goes against the cap.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
No the NHL should not because this would help richer teams gain a advantage making the NHL go back somewhat to before the salary cap.
People always insist that it would kill small markets yet when you look at the NBA, it's not true at all. Golden State and Cleveland have owned the league for quite some time now. I'm not suggesting the NHL follows the NBA model, just that a luxury tax system wouldn't cripple smaller markets. The NBA has proven this. It's only an advantage if you have the proper people running things. That's why a team like the Knicks have been horrible for so long.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Only if the luxury tax paid goes into the pockets of budget teams (internal) so that they have extra money and incentive to spend over the internal budget :naughty::naughty:

So let the Leafs pay all the luxury tax they want and let them fund the salary for other teams :nod:

One of the things I like about the NBA salary structure is that they dont use AAV.

Instead they use actual dollars paid that year as the amount that goes against the cap.
What's bizarre is that the owners and players agreed to the AAV structure. The owners demanded salaries to go down yet they had to of known that these cap circumvention types of deals would happen. Stuff like that is exactly why there will be another lockout. Nobody really benefits long-term on those wink wink deals.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
People always insist that it would kill small markets yet when you look at the NBA, it's not true at all. Golden State and Cleveland have owned the league for quite some time now. I'm not suggesting the NHL follows the NBA model, just that a luxury tax system wouldn't cripple smaller markets. The NBA has proven this. It's only an advantage if you have the proper people running things. That's why a team like the Knicks have been horrible for so long.
You cannot compare the NBA and NHL in this way. In the NBA, all it takes is one superstar and a couple complementary to turn a bad team into a contender, as the starters spend a very high percentage of the time in the game -- 90% or more. In hockey, you need more than a superstar and a couple of good players to build a contender. Even the best forwards on an NHL team only play about 40% of the game, and the top defensemen closer to 50%.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
You are confused. MLB & NBA have guaranteed contracts. only professional sport in North America that doesn't is NFL

I was somewhat mistaken. They both have guaranteed contracts available, MLB only a few types are exempt, and NBA some contracts have them if they are negotiated in, but not by default.

That said I don't see how people think this wouldn't be a huge advantage to wealthier teams. Using MLB as an example at the start of this year the highest cap team was at 225M and the lowest 60.8M. Think about applying that to the NHL and the massive amount of difference to a teams roster an extra 165 million dollars would make. Parity would absolutely become non-existent and smaller market teams would be effectively cannon fodder.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Under no definition is the San Francisco Bay Area a small market.

Silver Tuna

Easy on the Pepsi!!
Jun 4, 2011
Georgetown, ON
MLB continues to make the luxury tax worse to the point where teams barely go over it now.
Basically they have to pick a window to go over it and then get back under it rather quickly.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I like the hard cap, but if there ever was an adoption of a luxury cap surplus. I’d only want it brought in if the cost was draft picks. Build a rubric of X amount of Cap + costs you Y draft pick each start and/or end of season you are said amount over.

then where do those lost draft picks go? You can't just eliminate them cause that means less people would be drafted

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
MLB continues to make the luxury tax worse to the point where teams barely go over it now.
Basically they have to pick a window to go over it and then get back under it rather quickly.
which is fine, because usually that is how cash strapped teams want to go anyway. If they see success coming quickly, they will quickly start spending to spur it on, and it will be worth it if they can have playoff revenue and hopefully grow the market. However, the issue there is that it is easier to spend to success in baseball than it is in hockey. Look at Arizona, who many said would take the next step after opening the wallet to bring in Hammer, Raanta, and Stepan (I think another piece or two as well that I'm forgetting). It didn't happen.

As for the NBA rule, I do think it is a good idea. Even with poor teams, if they have a true franchise player to throw money at, that player will be worth all that money easily. It could also spread out superstar talent, since on a team with two of them, only one could get the special deal, and the other one could request a trade to a team that doesn't have one.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
No. NBA has the worst situation in all of sports.
That is why players are paid so high. U never see true free agency in the NBA and fair trades are hard to come by without affecting the salary cap. Often players are traded away because of their contracts and teams receive draft picks to accept these bad deals.
Teams are always trying to find cap space to sign free agents
I love the NHL salary cap situation which is similar to the NFL
It creates more parity than the other sports. What the NHL should try to sell is non guaranteed contracts.
But I have no idea why the NFLPA even agrees to that

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The NBA has proven you can create "Super Teams" with little to no parity.

Reactions: Spazkat

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
No. NBA has the worst situation in all of sports.
That is why players are paid so high. U never see true free agency in the NBA and fair trades are hard to come by without affecting the salary cap. Often players are traded away because of their contracts and teams receive draft picks to accept these bad deals.
Teams are always trying to find cap space to sign free agents
I love the NHL salary cap situation which is similar to the NFL
It creates more parity than the other sports. What the NHL should try to sell is non guaranteed contracts.
But I have no idea why the NFLPA even agrees to that
Yep, the worst situation. That's why its popularity is growing rapidly while other leagues stagnate.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, still not good. There is already shared revenue for teams, and we don't need a team like Pittsburgh or Tampa having even more flexibility.

A team like Pittsburgh benefits from having a flat cap. Teams like NY or Toronto would benefit in this situation, not Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00