Prospect Info: Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
He's an innocent man, ladies and gentlemen. He better not be given a hard time for this. I personally know someone who was falsely accused of ****, with the charges later being dropped after the girl admitted it wasn't. Of course, the stigma remained despite his innocence.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
He's an innocent man, ladies and gentlemen. He better not be given a hard time for this. I personally know someone who was falsely accused of ****, with the charges later being dropped after the girl admitted it wasn't. Of course, the stigma remained despite his innocence.

Actually, he's not "innocent", the charges were just dropped because the evidence against them wasn't enough to get a conviction. Doesn't really say anything as to his innocence or guilt, simply says that his guilt couldn't be proven.

As far as whether or not he should be given a hard time going forward, I'm conflicted; probably because I've seen the justice system fail time and time again. If someone walks on a technicality, should they be let off free and clear by the media and the public? What about someone like Casey Anthony? It's a complex question. In the case of your friend (or any other where the victim comes forward and admits it was a lie) then that's significantly different than a case where the victim still claims something happened but there's not enough physical or circumstantial evidence to prove it.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Actually, he's not "innocent", the charges were just dropped because the evidence against them wasn't enough to get a conviction. Doesn't really say anything as to his innocence or guilt, simply says that his guilt couldn't be proven.

As far as whether or not he should be given a hard time going forward, I'm conflicted; probably because I've seen the justice system fail time and time again. If someone walks on a technicality, should they be let off free and clear by the media and the public? What about someone like Casey Anthony? It's a complex question. In the case of your friend (or any other where the victim comes forward and admits it was a lie) then that's significantly different than a case where the victim still claims something happened but there's not enough physical or circumstantial evidence to prove it.

Well being as though a person is innocent until proven guilty he is innocent. He wasn't proven innocent but those are two different things. Consequently he should not be given a hard time for it.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I hope you're not saying Cousins walked on a technicality. I would also venture to say your justice system "fails" in a very very very small percentage of cases, but it is of course perceived as doing so in the lay public. Seriously, who are you or anyone else here, for that matter, to judge Cousins? We don't know **** about what happened.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I hope you're not saying Cousins walked on a technicality. I would also venture to say your justice system "fails" in a very very very small percentage of cases, but it is of course perceived as doing so in the lay public. Seriously, who are you or anyone else here, for that matter, to judge Cousins? We don't know **** about what happened.

Exactly and the same should be said for the girl. No one knows what happened yet some people have been trying to discredit her in this thread based on other cases.

The case was dismissed and that's all we should be talking about not going over possible scenario's of what could have happened based on other incidents.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
It's dumb to continue debating this, but it's also dumb (and dangerous) to let comments like these go without raising an eyebrow.

It's 100% wrong to even suggest that she was faking it when you have no knowledge of the case. The amount of false accusations that actually occur is a lot lower than you might think. In order to accuse someone of **** and pursue charges, the victim needs to be willing to show their face in a crowded courtroom and admit in front of all those people that he/she was *****. They then need to be willing to be grilled by opposing attorneys, called all kinds of names (one that rhymes with "mutt"), have their past dug into (especially when you accuse someone of means like an OHL star / NHL draft pick).

My point is, it's downright irresponsible and shameful behavior to even insinuate that a victim might've made the whole thing up because she didn't want to admit she was willingly with 3 guys after getting tipsy at a party. The stuff a **** victim has to go through after making an accusation is far worse than the "shame" of admitting to friends/family that you willingly slept with a guy or guys.

I highly doubt the prosecution would've taken this case this far if it were totally without merit. Unfortunately, there was a lack of evidence (which is why the case was dismissed), so we'll never truly know what happens.

But personally, I think Cousins got off lightly. And I'll be "happy" for him so long as he uses this second chance for good and never puts himself in a similar situation again, but I'll never "support" Cousins by basically insinuating that the victim was a liar. That's just wrong.

For the judge to drop the charges before there was even a trial, makes me think she didnt even want to hear the victims story. Maybe law works different in Canada. Im not saying the victim lied, I tend to think she probably did not like what happened, but wether it was forced or just regret, I guess no one will ever know.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For the judge to drop the charges before there was even a trial, makes me think she didnt even want to hear the victims story. Maybe law works different in Canada. Im not saying the victim lied, I tend to think she probably did not like what happened, but wether it was forced or just regret, I guess no one will ever know.

There's a book on how badly cases like these are handled up in small Canadian towns when it comes to their hockey teams and the players. I'm sure there are some Canadian posters on here might know something about it.

Edit: I was talking about the book not this actual case in the last sentence.

Last edited:

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
I think discussion of Cousins' charges need to be dropped, much like his actual charges. We don't know the story, and I think all we can do is support Cousins as he plays for this organization. It's unfortunate but hopefully he and everybody involved can move on.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I think discussion of Cousins' charges need to be dropped, much like his actual charges. We don't know the story, and I think all we can do is support Cousins as he plays for this organization. It's unfortunate but hopefully he and everybody involved can move on.

So even though the charge is dropped, we shouldnt talk about it?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
No, it doesn't (well, it does, but not in the way you're suggesting). You just don't know how the law works.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
So even though the charge is dropped, we shouldnt talk about it?

It's stupid to on the internet. He's just going to end up getting labeled a rapist by internet lawyers who have no details on the case. It's not relevant to hockey so it shouldn't be here.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
It's stupid to on the internet. He's just going to end up getting labeled a rapist by internet lawyers who have no details on the case. It's not relevant to hockey so it shouldn't be here.

My thoughts exactly. Either way it's moot because people will be arguing based on assumptions. Either they will be discrediting the victim or labelling Cousins and co. a rapist.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
No, it doesn't (well, it does, but not in the way you're suggesting). You just don't know how the law works.

I think you (and others) are being little over sensitive about my questions. Better get a thicker skin because if Cousins does turn out decent...it wont be the last time this is brought up. I said I was happy the charge was dropped and got attacked for being insensitive. and now you're are saying I dont know how the law works..when I write the judge didnt let the trial start.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I think you (and others) are being little over sensitive about my questions. Better get a thicker skin because if Cousins does turn out decent...it wont be the last time this is brought up. I said I was happy the charge was dropped and got attacked for being insensitive. and now you're are saying I dont know how the law works..when I write the judge didnt let the trial start.
No, you said she didn't want to hear the victim's story. She heard the victim's story.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
.... who cares about Cousins, the charges were dropped.

In other news, Flanagan keeps his PPG pace alive.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

No, actually you didn't. What you did was:
a) State quite clearly your opinion that
The girl may have also just been getting back and Cousins or the other two after deciding she didnt like being with 3 guys.

b) Inaccurately state that
The fact a woman judge decided there wasnt evidence to proceed to me speaks there wasnt a ****.
When in actuality, **** charges are statistically more likely to be thrown out when a female judge is presiding.

c) Again incorrectly imply that the judge didn't want to hear the girl's story. The judge already knew her story. The fact of the matter is, much like in America, when you have a he said-she said case with little / no physical evidence and no witnesses to corroborate the victim's story, it is often thrown out because there's no chance of obtaining a conviction, or any conviction that is obtained would later be thrown out by an appellate court because the conviction was based on the emotional response of the jury to the victim and not on careful consideration of the evidence.

The case was dismissed because it was unlikely to obtain a conviction, not because the victim had a change of heart and recanted her story, not because some magical evidence exonerating Cousins came forward, but because there was no evidence proving what happened wasn't consensual other than the girl's word.

Your statements in this thread are made in haste and make it appear that you're willing to throw a potential victim under the bus to protect the good name of Nick Cousins because he's a prospect for our NHL team. You're implied several times that the victim was/is lying and I think you should just step back for a second and re-evaluate your position or how you're communicating your position.

I think we can all (hopefully) agree that if he did do something wrong, it's a shame he's getting off without being punished.

Given the fact that none of us know what really happened, I think we can all also be happy that Nick Cousins has a chance to play for our team rather than rotting in jail.

And I think we can all agree that based on what we know (or don't know) he deserves to be treated fairly going forward and not have this brought up over and over and over.

With that being said, there's no reason whatsoever to even bring "what ifs" involving a victim being a liar / throwing the victim under the bus into this thread or any other discussion involving Cousins. Period, the end. There's no need for your comments involving the victim.

And with that said, I'm done talking about the Cousins case.

Getting back on topic: Way to go Flanagan and I hope Laughton doesn't get suspended.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Mixed feelings on the Cousins thing. Don't want to debate it, but know for every dude out there you've heard of who was falsely accused, there's two or three women who are actual victims and are too ashamed or terrified to ever press charges at all. It's a serious problem and we shouldn't go around assuming every woman a liar. To press those charges they usually poke around your parts for evidence. People don't usually let doctors shove things in them on a whim.

Athletes get away with a lot. I present you the QB of my local NFL franchise: accusations, no convictions, but undeniably a moron and a sociopath.

Done on the topic, just wanted to throw some closing perspective.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
I keep clicking on this thread hoping to hear about our prospects but all I see is Nick Cousins case bones being picked apart for days! Please God let it stop!!!

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I keep clicking on this thread hoping to hear about our prospects but all I see is Nick Cousins case bones being picked apart for days! Please God let it stop!!!

yeah me too. i was hoping for news on when we'd actually be seeing cousins in adk.

anyway, phantoms lost in OT yesterday to the baby pens by a score of 3-2. Roe and Harper were the adk goal scorers with Akeson, Flanagan and Wellwood each picking up one assist. Thats 1g and 4a for 5pts in 5 games for Flanagan. Wellwood has been a real disappointment this yr. i was never particularly high on him but his offensive numbers are absolutely atrocious. He has 30 less points in 2 more games then the phantoms leading point getter (akeson). 9 goals and 7 assists in 56 games is horrendous, he seems to have taken a few steps back and consequently has been passed by several players on the depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad