Friedman: Adin Hill likely re-signs with VGK - around 2 years @ 4.9 M AAV

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm happy for Hill cashing in on a Stanley Cup run, but he's a 1B or just a backup in my eyes and not worth a penny over 2.5M. Hill wasn't even their guy when Broissoit was the other option..I mean christ could it be any more obvious this was a well timed hot streak in a well known volatile position like goaltending?
Yeah but I think he would've been the guy if not for the injuries to Hill and Thompson. People forget Hill wasn't cleared until the middle of the Winnipeg series. At that point, with Brossoit holding it down through round 1 and keeping it together for Vegas to win the top seed, it was a "hot hand" situation. But I think anyone who understands the goalie position beyond "big guy no let in goal, save percentage above 90% be good" could tell that Hill was the superior goalie. In a bubble Thompson is probably the best and certainly has the higher upside but I'd say at least when Thompson and Hill were the two main guys, Hill still had better composure in net. I'd expect LT to surpass him sooner than later but I think as long as Cassidy is coach, Hill will do fine. Still wish it was at least a million and a half dollars cheaper though.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If Paul Cotter can clean up a few things and play with more physicality he can be a knock off replacement on the cheap.

I don't get the comparison. Cotter can't hold the puck and doesn't win many board battles, and he isn't a big stand in front of the net and get tips and rebounds guy, his shot is all he has at this level.

Regardless they have to be at the cap at season's start if Lehner is on LTIR.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
If Paul Cotter can clean up a few things and play with more physicality he can be a knock off replacement on the cheap.

Probably a repeat of last season, i.e., Cotter fills in until the TDL and then they find a last-minute deal to give them some extra oomph in the playoffs.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Huge overpay
The man just won the cup with them, played outstanding behind the team and deserves a pay raise, the term here is important. 2 years is 1 year to many for me at 4.9 but if they plan to go all the way again, and he stays healthy and plays well it’s not an overpay even remotely.

• Haha
Reactions: Canuck Luck

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Rumor is that the VGK aren't even talking to Barbashev, most likely meaning that his going market price exceeds the amount they are willing to pay for him under their metrics.

I think i heard a rumor that they actually talked to him about a contract extension before the playoffs started. Probably found out fast that he was going to be too rich for them and his recent playoff play further took Vegas out of the running.

I honestly would rather have Barbashev than Hill. Then again though, i was never a big fan of giving goalies big contracts.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think i heard a rumor that they actually talked to him about a contract extension before the playoffs started. Probably found out fast that he was going to be too rich for them and his recent playoff play further took Vegas out of the running.

I honestly would rather have Barbashev than Hill. Then again though, i was never a big fan of giving goalies big contracts.

At this price, even the lowest ask from Barbashev wouldn't have let them re-sign either Howden or Dorofeyev and they would have needed a 22 man roster.

I wonder if Barbashev was just seeking too much and they pivoted over to keeping Hill instead, whereas if Barbashev would have signed for like 5x5 they would look for a different goalie, now needing to figure out the power forward with Eichel and Marchessault with the 2 million or so leftover.

Or IR juggling the space at the beginning of the year, because if Lehner is on LTIR then we need to be right up against the cap on day one to keep that space, and then leaving the space for a deadline acquisition on retained salary.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yeah, naw.

Did he play superb hockey at the play-offs? sure did
Did he have a good regular season? yup

Are you worth 5 million after just about 40 games and a one season at 27? absolutely not

If they really do this, they are taking a huuuuuge risk, you would have about 10 000 000
signed to two goalies, unless someone takes Lehner for free or something,
then you have Logan Thompson, who without a doubt is the best of the trio.

It would be super funny, if Vegas kept Hill, Lehner and trade Thompson
- Lehner might not play ever again, Hill could be a one hit wonder

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
The man just won the cup with them, played outstanding behind the team and deserves a pay raise, the term here is important. 2 years is 1 year to many for me at 4.9 but if they plan to go all the way again, and he stays healthy and plays well it’s not an overpay even remotely.
Just because you play a role in winning a cup on your team, doesnt make you worth an overpay. Thats how the Jim Benning's of the world end up offering Jay Beagles 3M x 4 years. 4.9M will get you a much better goalie. Or you could get a goalie on Hill's level for 3-4M and use that extra 1-2M on the rest of the roster.

Obviously if any player stays healthy AND if the team go all the way again AND if he plays well its not an overpay. You could say that about any player at any salary then LOL

Last edited:

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
Yeah, naw.

Did he play superb hockey at the play-offs? sure did
Did he have a good regular season? yup

Are you worth 5 million after just about 40 games and a one season at 27? absolutely not

If they really do this, they are taking a huuuuuge risk, you would have about 10 000 000
signed to two goalies, unless someone takes Lehner for free or something,
then you have Logan Thompson, who without a doubt is the best of the trio.

It would be super funny, if Vegas kept Hill, Lehner and trade Thompson
- Lehner might not play ever again, Hill could be a one hit wonder

It's only a two year deal, and the goalie coach is very close to Hill having also coached him at Phoenix which I'm sure factored into it -- they have a very high level of confidence in Hill and don't want to start all over with an new face. But after that, the Vegas window probably closes anyway and it will be time to blow everything up and rebuild just like another Strip attraction.

I'd like to have kept Barbashev, but he's just too pricey right now.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
It's a Stanley Cup thank you contract. Much like Binnington got. The fans are thankful for his service, and even if his play falls off a cliff next year, it's not the end of the world. Because he helped win them a cup.

Crow

May 19, 2014
It's a Stanley Cup thank you contract. Much like Binnington got. The fans are thankful for his service, and even if his play falls off a cliff next year, it's not the end of the world. Because he helped win them a cup.
It’s a lot easier to take than binnington’s 6x6. I like this deal for Vegas if that’s the comprable situation

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
11-4 in the playoffs, with 2.17 GAA and 0.933 SV% for $4.9 million looks pretty good. Congrats to him for getting his bag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad