Proposal: Adding some size to the lineup

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
im back, i just cant stay away.
Well to be fair of the 2 guys who said he was slow, 1 doesnt know what he's talking about and the other was joking or doesnt know what he's talking about. Other posters corrected him, everyone knows the one thing you can say about JBO is that he is a great skater.

As far as Lundin + Prince i get that but at the same time Silfverberg or Zibinejad? really? i mean come on.

Its hard to determine the value - some Calgary fans think he sucks some think he's fine, some think you dont have any other decent options so he has to stay.
I dont know ive only seen him play 2 times this year and he looked fine to me.

I would do Jbow + Comeau for 2013 1st + Zach Smith.

It gives us the opportunity to draft a good player in a deep draft, and add some toughness to our lineup.

Gives you a legit #2 to play with (or separate pairing) Karlsson. Comeau would play in your bottom 6.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

It gives us the opportunity to draft a good player in a deep draft, and add some toughness to our lineup.

Gives you a legit #2 to play with (or separate pairing) Karlsson. Comeau would play in your bottom 6.

No thank you, I'd like to keep Jbo. If we are going to trade Jbo, we should package him for a top 10 pick.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Huge pass a mid 20 pick and Zach smith isn't worth Jbo.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Take a step back and think about this for a second. The Flames main and perhaps only goal of the season is to make the playoffs. Trading away their number one defensemen, particularly for prospects or high picks, would act in opposition to that goal.

Really, the only way he'd be traded is if a) he asked to be moved, which there's no reason to think he would do, b) a team sent over a defensemen or package even better than Bouwmeester, which doesn't make sense or c) the Flames are entirely out of the playoff race and have decided to blow it up, which too, is fairly unlikely.

Also, why on earth are people suggesting the Flames trade a defensemen, an area that's either stable or slightly weak, for another forward, particularly wingers, an area in which the Flames are relatively stacked? The most reasonable trade speculation for the Flames right now would be moving a winger, like Stempniak or Comeau and/or a depth defensemen like Butler or Smith, for an upgrade in centre or defense. Essentially a quantity for quality deal, which, admittedly, aren't easy to pull off.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Another guy even more so than Clowe I would die to have is Blake Wheeler. He's currently the Jets topline winger but I would pay to get him. He's only 26, 6'5 and would fit exactly the age group of players that Feaster wants to add.

For Wheeler I would consider putting Cammy in play.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I like Ryan White. I'd like to see the Flames bite if he were available. True enforcers are being phased out of the game so I think more teams will be icing a fourth line of bangers who can also play. He is a center who would be an upgrade on Jones.

Besides, I've always thought that the Flames should try to have one Hitman alumni on their roster. Too bad Carson wasn't given more of a look.

Maybe Butler could get it done if Montreal needs D. Tough to trade a guy who watches from the pressbox though.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
For Wheeler I would consider putting Cammy in play.

I was kind of thinking of what the Flames could get for Cammy to, I would consider trading him if Backlund keeps improving this year, and Cervenka and Hudler produce. Although I was thinking more of something to brighten the future on the backend. Possibly getting Joe Morrow out of Pittsburgh. I would love Blake Wheeler but the guy would cost a lot, he really broke out last year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I would honestly wait until a few weeks before the deadline before we make any decisions about trades. It's the end of January and we're 4 games into the season. If these guys can string together a win streak, then you're value is high, you're not desperate to over pay, and you can address your needs more confidently.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I was kind of thinking of what the Flames could get for Cammy to, I would consider trading him if Backlund keeps improving this year, and Cervenka and Hudler produce. Although I was thinking more of something to brighten the future on the backend. Possibly getting Joe Morrow out of Pittsburgh. I would love Blake Wheeler but the guy would cost a lot, he really broke out last year.

My opinion on Morrow is that Pittsburgh would never have drafted Pouliot so high, if it weren't for the chemistry that he had with Morrow in Portland. They were a very synergetic duo, and so I think Pittsburgh's plan is to have them as a pair in the future. I think Pouliot's value in Pittsburgh is connected to Morrow and so I think they'd be very reluctant to trade Morrow. But it would definitely be worth a shot, because Joe Morrow is pretty awesome.

What I covet though is a new Robyn Regehr. Someone big and mean that manhandles people outta the crease. That's what Calgary needs on the blueline more than anything IMO.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Hey Flames fans, i couldn't help but notice this thread and got curious as to what you guys might think of the following trade:

To :flames

Anton Volchenkov

To :devils

Lee Stempniak

Obviously it seems as though Calgary are in need of some size and physicality, and from what i gather you guys are pretty deep offensively after acquiring Hudler and Cervenka in the off-season. My Devils are currently swamped with NHL ready defenceman and prospects and need to offload some of the surplus, and our forward cupboard is looking really bare at the moment after losing Parise, Ponikarovsky and Sykora (as well as an injury to Henrique). It appears as though a lot of your defenders (Bouwmeester, Giordano etc) play more of a finesse style rather than being overly physical, Volchenkov could definitely add some grit to your line up and he's no slouch defensively either (shot blocking machine).

How high are you guys on Stempniak, is he expendable for the right price? We desperately need two NHL forwards in my opinion, specifically wingers that can play a 2nd/3rd line role. Stempniak strikes me as an inexpensive player who might be a nice contributor for us in that sense, he's definitely more appealing than the other options we have right now.

Could a deal work here do you guys think?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Hey Flames fans, i couldn't help but notice this thread and got curious as to what you guys might think of the following trade:

To :flames

Anton Volchenkov

To :devils

Lee Stempniak

Obviously it seems as though Calgary are in need of some size and physicality, and from what i gather you guys are pretty deep offensively after acquiring Hudler and Cervenka in the off-season. My Devils are currently swamped with NHL ready defenceman and prospects and need to offload some of the surplus, and our forward cupboard is looking really bare at the moment after losing Parise, Ponikarovsky and Sykora (as well as an injury to Henrique). It appears as though a lot of your defenders (Bouwmeester, Giordano etc) play more of a finesse style rather than being overly physical, Volchenkov could definitely add some grit to your line up and he's no slouch defensively either (shot blocking machine).

How high are you guys on Stempniak, is he expendable for the right price? We desperately need two NHL forwards in my opinion, specifically wingers that can play a 2nd/3rd line role. Stempniak strikes me as an inexpensive player who might be a nice contributor for us in that sense, he's definitely more appealing than the other options we have right now.

Could a deal work here do you guys think?

Volchenkov at 4.25 is pretty expensive especially for another 3 years maybe add in Gelinas and we add a late pick I think I would do it then. Stemps is definitely available and with his hot start he is probably playing his way onto alot of teams radars. Also how far has Volchenkov's game fallen he is only playing 13 minutes of 5v5. The major problem with taking Vol is the caphit any way you guys keep a million?

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Massive pass on Volchenkov. His salary would become an anchor pretty quick, not to mention there's a rather large question mark as to whether or not he'd fit in Hartley's system. Stempniak's contract at least expires after next season and is extremely tradable. If the Flames had a cap dump of their own to send back and Sarich was playing poorly, there could be something here, but they don't now that Stajan's playing well and Sarich looks good enough.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Massive pass on Volchenkov. His salary would become an anchor pretty quick, not to mention there's a rather large question mark as to whether or not he'd fit in Hartley's system. Stempniak's contract at least expires after next season and is extremely tradable. If the Flames had a cap dump of their own to send back and Sarich was playing poorly, there could be something here, but they don't now that Stajan's playing well and Sarich looks good enough.

I would be willing to take him especially if we get a good prospect with him, worse case scenario we use one of our buyouts on him best case we get a real good #5 defensemen who can help out our pk. But I agree the 4.5 is real step if he was at 3.5 or 3 it would be alot easier.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I wouldn't bet on the Flames owners throwing money on a buyout. It's not their style.

Maybe if the Flames moved towards blowing up the roster and entering a traditional rebuild and the Devils were super desperate to dump Volchenkov's salary to the extent they added a first round pick in 2013, a deal might become palatable.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I wouldn't bet on the Flames owners throwing money on a buyout. It's not their style.

Maybe if the Flames moved towards blowing up the roster and entering a traditional rebuild and the Devils were super desperate to dump Volchenkov's salary to the extent they added a first round pick in 2013, a deal might become palatable.

This is just my own belief and not based on any article but I think the Flames owners are desperate to make the playoffs to justify not blowing it up Vol would give us a much better defensive player than Smith and a guy that can play over 4 minutes a night of pk maybe we could get NJ to eat some of his cap but like I said if they throw in Gelinas who would probably be our best d prospect(don't count Brodie) then I think I would take the chance, but I do understand not wanting to do it as I think Vol only has a year or 2 left in him he is already starting to fall apart.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Its not a bad idea or value straight up, but we really don't need him especially at that money. We already have Babchuk to deal with when he gets healthy and that still leaves either Smith or Butler sitting in the pressbox. Adding in AV to the mix doesn't make a lot of sense. Sutter said back when he was our GM that you can't have more than 3 big money dman and we already have that. I like him as a player, but I don't think its a good fit.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, it's pretty obvious the ownership group will do everything in their power to keep the team gunning for the playoffs. But it may soon fall out of their control - if the team struggles to win, and Iginla decides he wants a trade to a cup contender and Kipper decides to retire at the end of season because he'd rather be at home in Finland than play here for 1.5M, then the team would be a lottery picker whether they like it or not. Of course that's a worst case disaster scenario which probably won't happen, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

If the Devils were willing to eat at least 1.5M of his cap hit and throw in Gelinas or a high pick, then maybe that doesn't sound too bad. Although I doubt the Devils would go that far in moving Volchenkov. And I probably wouldn't do it anyway. Devils fans have been pretty vocal about Volchenkov's shortcoming.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What about Brendan Morrow as a physical presence in the lineup?

He may be available as he has been relegated to 4th line and PP duties this year. With his salary being 4.1 million the Stars may be looking to get rid of him.

Stempniak for Morrow?

Stempniak might score more this year but I think Morrow would add some grit the Flames sorely lack. The Stars add a bit more scoring and will have Stempniak for next year as well for a pretty reasonable cap hit.

Glencross - Tanguay - Iginla
Hudler - Stajan - Cervenka
Cammalleri - Backlund - Morrow
Baertschi - Jones - Comeau
Jackman, Begin

Then Baertschi moves up and down the lineup to fill in anytime a winger needs to miss a game due to injury or illness.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I like B. Morrow too. Although he had a bad year last year, he has been a beast years before and still does a lot of small intangibles.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
What about Brendan Morrow as a physical presence in the lineup?

He may be available as he has been relegated to 4th line and PP duties this year. With his salary being 4.1 million the Stars may be looking to get rid of him.

Stempniak for Morrow?

Stempniak might score more this year but I think Morrow would add some grit the Flames sorely lack. The Stars add a bit more scoring and will have Stempniak for next year as well for a pretty reasonable cap hit.

Glencross - Tanguay - Iginla
Hudler - Stajan - Cervenka
Cammalleri - Backlund - Morrow
Baertschi - Jones - Comeau
Jackman, Begin

Then Baertschi moves up and down the lineup to fill in anytime a winger needs to miss a game due to injury or illness.

Its not a bad idea it also give us another 2.5 million next season to bid on any free agents. I think I would do it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Its not a bad idea it also give us another 2.5 million next season to bid on any free agents. I think I would do it.
That's where I am too, save us Stempnniak's contract next year, then trade/buyout Cammalleri and we should be okay I think with the decreasing cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad