Proposal: Adding some size to the lineup

berto14

Oct 1, 2009
James Mirtle did an interesting bit on his blog (found here: http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/2013-nhl-teams-by-weight-height-and-age.html) about each team's height, weight and age ranking according to their opening night rosters. I knew the Flames were a smaller team than we've seen in years past but I didn't realize the situation is quite as bad as it is -- we're currently ranked 30th overall in terms of average weight and 23rd overall in average height.

I hate making trade proposals because the discussion rarely ends well, but who would you like management to target and what do you expect it will cost us to acquire? Is there a trade to be made for one of our surplus d-men?

On another note, the Flames are now 14th overall in terms of average age, coming in just 0.1 years above the league average. Not bad considering we were among the top 3 oldest teams just a couple years ago. So the next time someone tells you that the Flames are one of the oldest teams in the league, you can politely tell them to cram it.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Well, the averages will increase when Bouma & The Anton are back in the lineup. Even with the introduction of Cervenka & demotion of Horak, the Flames average weight increased to 196.9 lbs. :P

Besides, under Hartley's system I'd rather have a bunch of speedy little guys who play with skill and finesse than a bunch of ogres who don't.

berto14

Oct 1, 2009
Well, the averages will increase when Bouma & The Anton are back in the lineup. Even with the introduction of Cervenka & demotion of Horak, the Flames average weight increased to 196.9 lbs. :P

Thought Bouma was done for the year? And Babchuk will add some size but I'd like to see a bit more size up-front also, ideally someone who can also contribute offensively and create some offense off the forecheck against some of the west's bigger d-men.

Besides, under Hartley's system I'd rather have a bunch of speedy little guys who play with skill and finesse than a bunch of ogres who don't.

I agree and I don't mind having a smaller team but I'd prefer not to be the smallest in the league.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The average age was based on the opening day lineup. Horak getting sent down and the addition of and Cervenka will change things.

Feaster and Weisbrod value skill, high hockey IQ and speed over size. Flame fans are going to have to get used to the fact that the days of the Flames physically beating up their opponents is gone. For now at least, anyway.

berto14

Oct 1, 2009
The average age was based on the opening day lineup. Horak getting sent down and the addition of and Cervenka will change things.

Feaster and Weisbrod value skill, high hockey IQ and speed over size. Flame fans are going to have to get used to the fact that the days of the Flames physically beating up their opponents is gone. For now at least, anyway.

Again, I don't mind having a smaller, speedy, skilled team but I think ideally the balance is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I'm not saying we should go out and sign a bunch of 7-foot pylons in favour of smaller, more skilled players, just that I wouldn't mind adding some size up front to help out our smaller forwards.

Feaster actually addressed the issue himself earlier in the year, just wondering who you guys would like to see management target.
The Flames have 13 forwards and eight defencemen currently under contract with the total salary being over $66 million and Feaster said that his team is still looking to add grit and size potentially through a trade. He also explained that he is not concerned about any future salary cap issues.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-...es_general_manager_team_issues_training_camp/

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I could care less about size I want heart, just because John Scott is a monster of a human being doesn't mean I wouldn't take Jones over him. Generally the players we would be looking at are the Asham type players who hurt the team more with bad penalties then they do with a big hit. The only way I would want to get bigger is moving Smith/Butler to get a bigger defensemen for the pk. Again I would rather have a team of 5'10 players that have skill and won't quit on a play then a player like Scott.

That said I would love to try and get Grossmann maybe Stempniak + Butler for Grossmann + Wellwood Idk but that is the kind of defensemen I want.

The other player I would like is Murray from SJ.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Kings are really shopping hard for a vet dman right now. Sutter did trade for the Anton as our GM, maybe there's a fit there with having Penner come our way.

I'm not advocating that deal, just saying it could be a possibility. Personally I want to see how this group does as a healthy unit before we start tweaking things.

I don't think Grossman is available short of a massive over payment. Philly's depth on D is not good and Grossman is one of their top guys. Sauer may be another option to consider, but personally I really like our D corps.

I think Penner could be had for very cheap.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Latendresse has size, but he's not a physical player. The team needs to add 1 or 2 players that are gritty yet can play in the top-9. Steve Ott, David Clarkson, Jason Chimera, Joel Ward, Stewart, etc. are the type of guys they need. However, these guys are likely not available or would require an overpayment to acquire.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The Kings are really shopping hard for a vet dman right now. Sutter did trade for the Anton as our GM, maybe there's a fit there with having Penner come our way.

I'm not advocating that deal, just saying it could be a possibility. Personally I want to see how this group does as a healthy unit before we start tweaking things.

I don't think Grossman is available short of a massive over payment. Philly's depth on D is not good and Grossman is one of their top guys. Sauer may be another option to consider, but personally I really like our D corps.

I think Penner could be had for very cheap.

I want nothing to do with Penner he is extremely lazy he is practically Bourque 2.0 he is great when he tries but the other 80% of the time he is as effective as Jackman.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I want nothing to do with Penner he is extremely lazy he is practically Bourque 2.0 he is great when he tries but the other 80% of the time he is as effective as Jackman.

Yeah he is known for being lazy, but acquiring a big, physical power forward won't come cheap (Stewart would cost a lot as he looks to have found his game again). Penner would be almost free, I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Backlund and Sven.

Again, I'm just mentioning his name. I'm not a huge Penner fan, but if after 15-20 games this team is getting pushed around a lot it might be something to consider for the short term.

I wonder what SJ would want for Clowe, he would actually be the perfect fit.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah he is known for being lazy, but acquiring a big, physical power forward won't come cheap (Stewart would cost a lot as he looks to have found his game again). Penner would be almost free, I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Backlund and Sven.

Again, I'm just mentioning his name. I'm not a huge Penner fan, but if after 15-20 games this team is getting pushed around a lot it might be something to consider for the short term.

He may be even cheaper as he is a UFA next season. I wonder if Stemps+ would do the deal.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Maybe, we can't afford to do draft picks. Ideally if that plus would be Babchuk then I'd do that deal all day. That would also drop us down a contract.

Sadly, I think Clowe would be fetching a 1st round plus prospect. We can't afford to do that for a potential rental.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Maybe, we can't afford to do draft picks. Ideally if that plus would be Babchuk then I'd do that deal all day. That would also drop us down a contract.

Sadly, I think Clowe would be fetching a 1st round plus prospect. We can't afford to do that for a potential rental.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. If only Bouma wasn't hurt.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Who do we trade for Penner? and then we have to drop another top 9 player, it just causes more problems and Penner only uses his big body when he wants to most of the time he just floats.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
I would love to be able to move Stemps + Comeau + Butler + Nemisz for
Clowe + Murray but thats really just moving our spare parts.

That happens and Doug Wilson is found the next day dead in the dumpster behind HP Pavilion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad