Proposal: Adding some size to the lineup

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
I could care less about size I want heart, just because John Scott is a monster of a human being doesn't mean I wouldn't take Jones over him. Generally the players we would be looking at are the Asham type players who hurt the team more with bad penalties then they do with a big hit. The only way I would want to get bigger is moving Smith/Butler to get a bigger defensemen for the pk. Again I would rather have a team of 5'10 players that have skill and won't quit on a play then a player like Scott.

Scott is a terrible player who brings nothing of quality to a team intending to compete for the Cup. I'd rather have Max Kuznetsov circa 2002.

That said I would love to try and get Grossmann maybe Stempniak + Butler for Grossmann + Wellwood Idk but that is the kind of defensemen I want.

I was seriously surprised at the disinterest in Wellwood in the offseason; the guy scored nearly 50 points, can play all three forward positions, is good defensively, and is beastly on faceoffs. IIRC he actually ended up taking a pay cut after a long UFA period of nobody signing him. I wanted the Wings to pick him up for the third line (as well as bring back Hudler; you're welcome BTW. :rant:)

The other player I would like is Murray from SJ.

Murray is a decent bottom pair stay-at-home type, but he's not worth $2.5m. He had a good stretch at the right time and cashed in, but he's a bottom pair guy.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
There should be 2 guys on the Flames radar: Getzlaf and Berglund.

Trade what you have to to secure one of these guys. Big, strong, skilled Centerman.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
There should be 2 guys on the Flames radar: Getzlaf and Berglund.

Trade what you have to to secure one of these guys. Big, strong, skilled Centerman.

Would love Getz, imagine where we'd be if they just drafted him instead of Phanuef.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Penner? Wellwood? Reeeaally?

If we want someone to add to the averages simply for the sake of being thought of as a bigger team on paper, put me in the lineup. I'll gladly sit in the press box drinking beer and eating nachos to maintain my weight...

I was talking about getting Eric wellwood and he is more of prospect to go with Grossman.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We are short RW and you want to trade Stempniak, who is probably the 2nd most physical forward in our line up behind Glencross which is pretty sad.

:laugh: Iginla and Glencross both have 7 hits, Sven has 4, Hudler has 3 in 1 game and yet you think Stemps with 3 and not playing a physical style is more physical then them :laugh:.

We have Iginla, Hudler/Cervenka, Stempniak on RW, over the last 4 years Seto has averaged 37 points in 70 games Hudler has averaged 48 points in 78 games, Seto is only a 3rd liner on this team I don't see how he would be worth the assets.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Because playing physical is only about hit totals. Hudler does not play a more physical game then Stempniak so you can put that to rest right away. Also Hudler is a LW

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Because playing physical is only about hit totals. Hudler does not play a more physical game then Stempniak so you can put that to rest right away. Also Hudler is a LW

Hudler is about as physical as Stempniak and either way in order to get Seto we would have to give up Stemps++ which isn't worth it when we have players like Cervenka and Stempniak that are doing fine now, also I would rather play a player on their off wing like Hudler before trading for Seto.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Not sure where he stands but what would you want from Ottawa for Bouwmeester, assume Ottawa takes the whole salary. (making a further assumption that he would be available.) i dont really want to get into a he sucks! he's underrated debate or cause board havoc, just want to know given the above 1) would he be available 2) what would you expect from Ottawa?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Not sure where he stands but what would you want from Ottawa for Bouwmeester, assume Ottawa takes the whole salary. (making a further assumption that he would be available.) i dont really want to get into a he sucks! he's underrated debate or cause board havoc, just want to know given the above 1) would he be available 2) what would you expect from Ottawa?

At the dealine, the possibility exists.

We need:

A replacement D-man.
A good pick or prospect for Bouw. Prefferably a RW, C or D. No goalies..

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
I'd like to see them add Carkner and Sestito, and I assume Feaster will do whatever it takes once he sees this report.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

We aren't trading Jbo unless Zibanejad or Silfverberg are coming back. It is early in the season but he finally looks like the defensemen he was in Florida we can't give up on him now.

Gary83*

From what I've seen of J-Bo, he's a slow-footed giveaway machine. He'd be crucified here.

Where are the stats guys to back this up? Oh, wait, Fuhr is the one pushing this idea. :huh:

jay sssssssslllllllllooooooowwwwwwwwwmeester

Bouwmeester is a salary dump at this point. There are no teams who will give up a good pick or prospect for him. That's just wishful thinking on the part of the fans. In the same way that Ottawa fans think Bishop is worth a first round pick in trade. I'd pass on Bouwmeester. He's going to be 30 at the start of next season, he's regressed dramatically in offensive production, he has an albatross contract and he doesn't really address our needs on the blue line. I'd rather keep his spot open for Ceci to potentially take it in the next 2 years.

I ventured over to the Ottawa board (wow was that a mistake)

I saw a couple of your posters calling Bouwmeester slow, lol.

By the way, the Lundin+Prince deal that someone posted wouldn't even be close.

Bouwmeester won't be a cap dump, the Flames don't need to get rid of him. Bouwmeester would easily be one of the fastest skaters on Ottawa.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I ventured over to the Ottawa board (wow was that a mistake)

I saw a couple of your posters calling Bouwmeester slow, lol.

By the way, the Lundin+Prince deal that someone posted wouldn't even be close.

Bouwmeester won't be a cap dump, the Flames don't need to get rid of him. Bouwmeester would easily be one of the fastest skaters on Ottawa.

im back, i just cant stay away.
Well to be fair of the 2 guys who said he was slow, 1 doesnt know what he's talking about and the other was joking or doesnt know what he's talking about. Other posters corrected him, everyone knows the one thing you can say about JBO is that he is a great skater.

As far as Lundin + Prince i get that but at the same time Silfverberg or Zibinejad? really? i mean come on.

Its hard to determine the value - some Calgary fans think he sucks some think he's fine, some think you dont have any other decent options so he has to stay.
I dont know ive only seen him play 2 times this year and he looked fine to me.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
More than anything I threw Penner's name out there because he would cost almost nothing to get but I realize he is almost useless in the regular season. Like I said, I want to see how this group does for at least 15 games before any tinkering is decided upon.

Clowe would be my #1 choice providing Feaster doesn't give up a 1st and a good prospect which also probably means a deal isn't happening.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well to be fair of the 2 guys who said he was slow, 1 doesnt know what he's talking about and the other was joking or doesnt know what he's talking about. Other posters corrected him, everyone knows the one thing you can say about JBO is that he is a great skater.

As far as Lundin + Prince i get that but at the same time Silfverberg or Zibinejad? really? i mean come on.

Its hard to determine the value - some Calgary fans think he sucks some think he's fine, some think you dont have any other decent options so he has to stay.

The last 2 games he has looked phenomenal. Its to early, but if he keeps on building from those 2 games the old Jbo may be back. This is attributed the absence of "I can't believe its not Butter". There is no way we can trade him without getting an over payment back. His absence would leave a hole the size of the equator on our D and if he can return to his Florida days then he is a top 10 dman in the NHL. He was an absolute best last game and played by far his best game as a Flame.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

The Flames fans that think he sucks are blinded by his last few season so far this year he has been our best defensemen and looks to better then he ever has. The rest of the league may like to **** on him but so far he is proving it was Sutter's system that held him back. If we trade him it has to be a huge upgrade and so that is why we would want one of Zib or Silfver he isn't a cap dump he is our #1 centermen.

As for the offer you guys threw around on your board we would pass in a second, I am willing to bet Jbo surpasses 25 if not 30 points this year.

DevilsAnimal*

We'll trade you Matteau, Tallinder, a 1st, a 2nd, and Volchenkov for Iginla and Baertschi :B

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad