Adding an extra attacker in late game situations or not?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The norm is pulling the goalie with two minutes AT least now. What do you mean it’s irrelevant? It’s the whole point of the game is to score more goals then you let up
Again, you seem to be misunderstanding what a team is trying to accomplish when pulling their goalie.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Do I really have to explain this? Are you dumb or just a dick?

If the former, it is because it is a completely different scenario than getting an extra attacker at the end of the game, which success rate is based on scoring a goal under any circumstances. There is no detriment of being scored on because the result is losing, which you already were going to if you don't go all-in. And like I said in my post, which you clearly didn't read or are too dense to comprehend, the risk is worth taking when the alternative has such low odds.

Obviously if played throughout an entire game then being scored on with an empty net absolutely effects the end game result. Then the question at hand is completely altered, what is deemed a success and what a failure differs in the two scenarios and needs a different statistical approach, but I think anyone with half a brain knows that a team without a goalie is going to do worse over a 60 minute time span.
So it's not a more efficient way of playing and is a desperation move.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
So it's not a more efficient way of playing and is a desperation move.
Was anyone arguing that? Why are you saying it that way like you won some sort of debate lmao

Pulling the goalie is the most efficient way of playing a very specific scenario, that's why I was comparing it to the alternative. Every single NHL coach does it and has for almost a century.

If you want to argue that the opinion of the professionals are wrong go ahead, but so far you've posted nothing of substance.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
What are you talking about? It’s not meaningless at all. If you give up double the amount of goals with a goalie pulled that’s not good. And I’ll counter your argument with that point you made to justify mine. If the game is lost anyway why pull the goalie?
I feel like you're being intentionally dense.

Team is down by one goal in ten games. Option A: Team never pulls goalie, nobody scores, team loses all 10 games. Option B: Team pulls goalie every time. Get scored on EN 9 times and lose. Tie it up 1 time and get an extra point. "Negative success rate". Still better outcome than option A.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
What are you talking about? It’s not meaningless at all. If you give up double the amount of goals with a goalie pulled that’s not good. And I’ll counter your argument with that point you made to justify mine. If the game is lost anyway why pull the goalie?
A loss is a loss. It doesn't matter if you lose by 1 goal or 3.

With minute left, the opposing team can kill about 30 seconds or more off the clock if they get possession.

You pretty much lose if they do that. Having 6 skaters increases your chances of keeping possession and of scoring. If you lose possession, you'd lose anyway whether they shot into an empty net or whether they just killed the clock.

You have basically 1% chance of scoring a goal with less than a minute but that increases if you pull the goalie. If teams score a goal to tie the game more than 1% of the time. Then the strategy works. How Mny times they lose by 2 goals instead of 1 is completely irrelevant.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I feel like you're being intentionally dense.

Team is down by one goal in ten games. Option A: Team never pulls goalie, nobody scores, team loses all 10 games. Option B: Team pulls goalie every time. Get scored on EN 9 times and lose. Tie it up 1 time and get an extra point. "Negative success rate". Still better outcome than option A.

I apologize if I am coming off that way. But to me I feel like anything over 90 seconds is hurting you more then helping

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
A loss is a loss. It doesn't matter if you lose by 1 goal or 3.

With minute left, the opposing team can kill about 30 seconds or more off the clock if they get possession.

You pretty much lose if they do that. Having 6 skaters increases your chances of keeping possession and of scoring. If you lose possession, you'd lose anyway whether they shot into an empty net or whether they just killed the clock.

You have basically 1% chance of scoring a goal with less than a minute but that increases if you pull the goalie. If teams score a goal to tie the game more than 1% of the time. Then the strategy works. How Mny times they lose by 2 goals instead of 1 is completely irrelevant.

The problem is once they score(especially if you pull early) is it takes you out of the game sooner. Just anything over 90 seconds is not my cup of tea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad