Speculation: Adding a top 6 C, who moves to the wing? (Danault/Galchenyuk)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
he played on RW in his last half season in Sarnia where he dominated the OHL. The year before he was injured all season.... he played center only ONE season at OHL level with Yakupov on his wing.

He was playing RW with Boucher on LW and sarault at center....

Have you watch him play ?.... He is super effective shooting from the right side of the rink.

It is not if he was effective at winning faceoffs, either....

He's a LW , at least he has been always used on the left side and not the right side...

Chucky-Eller-Gally
Chucky-Plekanec-Gally

I don't recall him being used as a RW at all to be honest...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
What kind of question is that? Seriously.

Galchenyuk was top 10 in the league prior to his injury. He's a legit #1C and it shouldn't even be a question as to how we use him.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
He's a LW , at least he has been always used on the left side and not the right side...

Chucky-Eller-Gally
Chucky-Plekanec-Gally

I don't recall him being used as a RW at all to be honest...

Did you not read his post? He explained how he was used effectively in junior at RW. Sure that's not the NHL, but why are you asking him a question while quoting the answer?

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
What kind of question is that? Seriously.

Galchenyuk was top 10 in the league prior to his injury. He's a legit #1C and it shouldn't even be a question as to how we use him.

This is what makes me want MT's head. How can you seriously think that taking Galchenyuk off the #1 C line will help this team win. He has played outstanding there, but his faceoff aren't good, so you remove at center all together?

He is 12/48 comapred to DD that is 15/40 in the defensive zone. Get Galchenyuk before and after practice working faceoffs, until his fingers bleed.

I see this as a way for MT to give little Davey some time at center while finding a pathetic excuse like faceoff% to take Galchenyuk out of center.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Nobody, Danault becomes your third C, and the Habs finally have a centre depth (Galchenyuk-2C-Danault) that can compete for a Cup.

Plekanec/DD gone to who cares where.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Nobody, Danault becomes your third C, and the Habs finally have a centre depth (Galchenyuk-2C-Danault) that can compete for a Cup.

Plekanec/DD gone to who cares where.

This is exactly what I want, however I do not see MB trading Plekanec at the deadline because he will think more is better when in fact less is more.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Can't believe anyone would choose to put Galchenyuk back on the wing instead of Danault if it came down to these two specifically.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Did you not read his post? He explained how he was used effectively in junior at RW. Sure that's not the NHL, but why are you asking him a question while quoting the answer?

Did you not read my post? Where do you see any question there?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Can't believe anyone would choose to put Galchenyuk back on the wing instead of Danault if it came down to these two specifically.

I think we all want to see this team do well and win games .

If using Chucky on the wing and Danault at center makes the team better than using Danault on the wing and Chucky at center then go with it.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Did you not read my post? Where do you see any question there?

Pardon me, you are infering that he was never used on the right side when the post you quoted explained exactly the information you required.

It was so much as a question as it was questioning.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Pardon me, you are infering that he was never used on the right side when the post you quoted explained exactly the information you required.

It was so much as a question as it was questioning.

Junior is pretty much irrelevant, he was mainly used on the LW since being drafted. I guess coaches and himself have a better clue where he's better suited and on what side he's more comfortable.

Markov was playing center in junior , you know what I mean ... :)

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Junior is pretty much irrelevant, he was mainly used on the LW since being drafted. I guess coaches and himself have a better clue where he's better suited and on what side he's more comfortable.

Markov was playing center in junior , you know what I mean ... :)

He choose LW... He choose to not play center... He choose the wing he never played on when he played C and RW in junior...

The coach choose him to play LW because the Habs have an abundance of RW year after year, but no LW.

Get a grip...

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Easy. None of them. I like the Pacioretty-Danault combo, the Galchenyuk-Radulov combo and then preferably Duchene-Gallagher. That is how you win the playoffs.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Getting another player will cost a fortune.

For example, to get Duchene, we would need to give Sergachev, Scherback, a 1st and a 2nd (or even another 1st).
Duchene has 29 points vs 27 points for Danault.

We have the 7th offense in the league despite all our injuries.
Without injuries to Markov, Gallagher and Galchenyuk, we would have at least 15-20 goals more making us top-3 offense in the league behind PIT and NYR.

Same on defense.
On the RHD, we have Weber and Petry.
On the LHD, we have Markov, Emelin and Beaulieu.
With Pateryn/Nesterov sharing the remaining spot, our top-6 can compare to almost any team in the league.
Just looking at Nashville, STL and ANA, we have less GA/GP than all these teams.
We are 6th in defense in the league despite Price performing below than usual.

If you look at both offense and defense we are top-4 in the league.

TBH, I think our team is pretty good for now.
It is not the time to buy when there is so little offer. It is a seller's market.
Any top-6 (or top-4) will cost a lot.
There are only two teams who wants to sell: ARI and COL.
Anyone wants to give Sergachev for Hanzal? Especially when our center are better than him.

How many centers do we need? Galchenyuk, Danault, Desharnais, Mitchell, Plekanec.

Just looking at Chicago, they have Toews but the heavy load is carried by wingers.
Of course, Pens with Crosby/Malkin and SJS with Thornton/Couture/Pavelski have great centers but on the wings we are better than those teams.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
This is exactly what I want, however I do not see MB trading Plekanec at the deadline because he will think more is better when in fact less is more.

If they do get a 2C and Plekanec's still here post-deadline. While not ideal I think it'd be fine since this still allows Danault to stay in the top 6 as a winger for the time being until Pleks gets picked by Vegas or traded in the summer.

Jul 6, 2016
The only big top-two ine center that might become available soon is Jason Spezza. He has still 2 more years at 7,5, which is quite stiff, but if you can send back Plekanec in return + something else, that would be fine. Oduya could also be a good addition on D. patrick Eaves could also be a solution on RW. he has already 19 goals this season, is cheap and will be UFA next July.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
We need another top line player, someone to balance our top 2 line.
I want for Galchenyuk to succeed at center but maybe his foot speed isn't good enough and better suited for the wing but please make it the right wing.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
The only big top-two ine center that might become available soon is Jason Spezza. He has still 2 more years at 7,5, which is quite stiff, but if you can send back Plekanec in return + something else, that would be fine. Oduya could also be a good addition on D. patrick Eaves could also be a solution on RW. he has already 19 goals this season, is cheap and will be UFA next July.

Can't imagine trading Plekanec for Spezza. Upgrade on offense but a much bigger downgrade defensively.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Oduya: 1G-6A, 3.75M SCap.

Markov >> Oduya

Not even sure Oduya > Emelin.

At least Emelin is bringing a physical game.

Oduya has 20 hits in 36 games (Emelin has 155 hits in 50 games).

Now if you want to bring Oduya to replace Nesterov, you will have to put Nesterov (or Pateryn) on waivers.

This season, Oduya is 6th in TOI/GP in Dallas.
Our defense is better than Dallas.
So getting Oduya to play on our bottom-6 on his off side for 3.75M is a bad deal.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It doesn't make the team better

Belial believes everything the coach and management does is the best thing for the team. If other circumstances were better, he believes they would do it. Unfortunately he doesn't realize they don't have a crystal ball and that common sense has never been a strong suit of the coach.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Our gap is very obviously at wing. If a C comes in then a C needs to leave for a W.

If we can add a LW, this team is going to be pretty deep when Gally comes back. I know he hasn't been good this year but odds are he recerts back to the player he has been and we add a 25/25 guy back into the lineup for the playoffs. Add another top 9 player and watch out.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Our gap is very obviously at wing. If a C comes in then a C needs to leave for a W.

If we can add a LW, this team is going to be pretty deep when Gally comes back. I know he hasn't been good this year but odds are he recerts back to the player he has been and we add a 25/25 guy back into the lineup for the playoffs. Add another top 9 player and watch out.

I am not confident in our #2C. DD has to go, Pleks is no longer capable to be consistent offensively to be a #2C. That leaves Danault who is more suited for a #3C role. On a poor mans team, I could see him playing a #2 role, but if the habs want to compete for a cup, they have a better chance with him at #3.

However I agree wholeheartedly that we require a top 6 LW, Byron or Lehkonen are not the answer come playoff time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad