Speculation: Adding a top 6 C, who moves to the wing? (Danault/Galchenyuk)

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Huh? Seems pretty simple to me.

If they get Duchene, that means Plekanec is gone to make it work under the cap. Someone has to take 3C. So that's Danault's spot to lose.

If we get Hanzal, he becomes the 3C as both Galchenyuk and Danault are likely better than him offensively.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think ideally you want Danault as the #3C. If you have to move Galchenyuk to the wing, you'd want him on RW.

XXXX - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Pacioretty - XXXX - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Danault - XXXX

Is the ideal group of duos to build around this year, imo, assuming you get another top 6 C to fill in on Pacioretty's line. Move guys like Shaw around to spark a line.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
If we get another center pleks should be going the other way. Galchenyuk n danault should both be playing center as they are both young and part of the core going forwards.

Byron galchenyuk radu
Patch duchene/top6c Gallagher
Lek danault shaw
Flynn Mitchell andrighetto/Carr/mccarron( playoffs)

The top three lines can creat offence and havoc imo

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It would be nice to draft a capable center. Since Galchenyuk, has that become a lost art in Montréal?

If we get another center pleks should be going the other way. Galchenyuk n danault should both be playing center as they are both young and part of the core going forwards.

Byron galchenyuk radu
Patch duchene/top6c Gallagher
Lek danault shaw
Flynn Mitchell andrighetto/Carr/mccarron( playoffs)

The top three lines can creat offence and havoc imo

Don't get your hopes up too high. I'm pessimistic that someone as talented as Duchene will be here before the trade deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I'm so ****ing tired of hearing about Galchenyuk on the wing. He's been about ppg for the past 60 games dating back to last season and this garbage is still an issue. Unreal.

Danault isn't a top 6 center. Sorry guys. As excellent as he's played, he won't be a top 6 center long term. If the Habs overpay for for Hanzal then move Chucky to the wing and run Hanzal-Danault as our top 6 center this team is in HUGE trouble and will go nowhere. Two 3Cs playing 1C and 2C roles. Lol.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
Don't get your hopes up too high. I'm pessimistic that someone as talented as Duchene will be here before the trade deadline.

I definitely do realize the odds of that are very low. But if a top 6 Center was traded for I'd still excepect danault and galchenyuk down the middle.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Totally forgot about Plekanec, but you can't blame me he is invisible. If we trade for Duchene I assume we would include Plekanec in the deal. Also I'd rather have the Byron-Galchenyuk-Radulov line come back instead of the Danault one.
Lets say Sergachev,1st,Plekanec for Duchene

Byron-Galchenyuk-and
Pacioretty-Duchene-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw
whatever

Here is the thing. If Habs move serge for duchene and they win a cup. Or two. Great.

If Habs move serge for duchene and don't win a cup. Bad. Very bad.

The risk reward differential is huge.

This puts huge pressure on duchene. It's not going to work.

Mb has to make a deal for duchene without giving serge back. Period.

Must not do it.

I would rather offer 3 firsts 3 years. The third one lottery protected. And jules. Mcarron.

That is a huge package for Avs while Habs keep serge.

I will never agree to a deal serge for duchene. Never.

CostaMtl

Apr 24, 2016
If MB make a move for Duchene, which I think he will. We have to send some salary back to colorado to make it worth, so I believe Plekanec will be use in the trade.

So Galchenyuk, Duchene and Danault would be our top 3 center

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Pacioretty - Duchene - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Danault - Plekanec - Shaw
Flynn - Mitchell - Byron

I don't think we need a second line winger, we need a top 6 C.

Radulov/Chucky had success with Byron, if we got a guy like MD we could toss one of Lehkonen/Byron/Danault on the second line LW and it wouldn't be an issue.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I think it really depends on who we add. If we add Duchene than I think that it'll be Galchenyuk moving to the wing, if we add Hanzal it'll be Danault or Mitchell.

Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov
Galchenyuk - Duchene - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Shaw
Byron - Mitchell - McCarron:sarcasm:

Or

Byron - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Pacioretty - Hanzal - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Shaw
Danault - Mitchell - xxx

Plekanec and Danault are probably interchangeable in this scenario, but I don't see Pleks getting 4th line minutes.

If we add Duchene than Plekanec will be moved in the off season and we'll probably go Galchenyuk - Duchene - Danault down the middle.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We do need an addition to the top 6.......there is no doubt. My biggest cncern lately, seems to b ethe effort on too many nights just doesn't seem there....last night, the Isles gaame, the Detroit game 2 weeks ago.....something's off more than just the scedule, everyone has to deal with that....

And can we please put DD on waivers...the sooner the better...

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I don't see how a deal gets done for Duchene without Plekanec having to go the other way, or getting dealt in a separate deal. Duchene is not a UFA pick up. Unless they want Galchenyuk.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I don't see how a deal gets done for Duchene without Plekanec having to go the other way, or getting dealt in a separate deal. Duchene is not a UFA pick up. Unless they want Galchenyuk.

Simple, DD can be the cap dump. Right now we can trade for a 4M$ player at the trade deadline.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
I think ideally you want Danault as the #3C. If you have to move Galchenyuk to the wing, you'd want him on RW.

Is the ideal group of duos to build around this year, imo, assuming you get another top 6 C to fill in on Pacioretty's line. Move guys like Shaw around to spark a line.

This. The question is not who should we move on the wing, but which player can we acquire that would either compliment Danault at center, whether that be on the first or second line, OR which center we can acquire that would push Danault to the 3rd.

IMO, Danault is better suited to play on the 3rd line. He is the perfect replacement for Plekanec, except stronger on the puck.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015

Sharp- Galchenyuk - Radulov
Pacioretty - Duchene - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
Flynn-Mitchell-Shaw

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Didn't you just answer your question?

Get a freaking winger instead of overpaying for something that's barely a need anymore.

If we want to do anything in the PO's, we need an upgrade at C. If we make the conference finals and beyond, guys like Galchenyuk, Danault, and Pleks will never be the best C's on the ice.

Maybe he just needs to shake off some rust after coming back from injury, but Galchenyuk's play has not exactly filled me with confidence that he can handle the #1C position in the playoffs. Even before the injury he had significant weaknesses that still need to be addressed: Lack of acceleration, weak along the boards, poor forechecker, poor defensive positioning, weak in the faceoff circle.

Jul 6, 2016
Too bad he never played there, what a waste :)

he played on RW in his last half season in Sarnia where he dominated the OHL. The year before he was injured all season.... he played center only ONE season at OHL level with Yakupov on his wing.

He was playing RW with Boucher on LW and sarault at center....

Have you watch him play ?.... He is super effective shooting from the right side of the rink.

It is not if he was effective at winning faceoffs, either....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad