Player Discussion Adam "the Magician" Larsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Even people big into analytics have a hard time ranking a defensive defenceman like Larsson, who not only took the hardest minutes, but the hardest minutes by a staggering margin even compared to the next hardest minute defenceman (him and Greene).

I think his effect on GA and High danger scoring chances show an elite defensive player.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Even people big into analytics have a hard time ranking a defensive defenceman like Larsson, who not only took the hardest minutes, but the hardest minutes by a staggering margin even compared to the next hardest minute defenceman (him and Greene).

I think his effect on GA and High danger scoring chances show an elite defensive player.

Yep. Even NJD fans had a hard time evaluating him after the trade. A good bulk were devastated even given the return - citing him as their MVP last season. Others felt that it wasn't a huge loss.

He's one of those guys you don't always notice, but at the end of the game you think "man, Crosby was invisible out there tonight" and realize it's because Larsson completely shut him down.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Yep. Even NJD fans had a hard time evaluating him after the trade. A good bulk were devastated even given the return - citing him as their MVP last season. Others felt that it wasn't a huge loss.

He's one of those guys you don't always notice, but at the end of the game you think "man, Crosby was invisible out there tonight" and realize it's because Larsson completely shut him down.

like a great cornerback in football, some days you dont even notice them but there they are every down keeping the stars from making plays.

Matty97

Aug 1, 2016
Larsson was a great pick up, maybe now they should get justin faulk and sebastien aho for nug hopkins and pouliot!

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Larsson was a great pick up, maybe now they should get justin faulk and sebastien aho for nug hopkins and pouliot!

You should probably wake up from your dream if you think that is even close to realistic.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Btw somebody asked why Larsson wasn't put on the PP. It was because he was too valuable on the pk and 5v5 against top lines that they didn't want to tire him out for the PP when they had other options.

Larsson is steady on the PP but doesn't use his shot enough. He's got a great accurate shot that can be easily deflected. He probably will score more on the Oilers if put on the PP.

Matty97

Aug 1, 2016
You should probably wake up from your dream if you think that is even close to realistic.

Lol funny haha k tell me what is the main thing that carolina needs ? Number 1 center perharps, just imagine hopkins and skinner together, if not pouliot either sekera and retain some cash or something, they also have hayden fleury comming up soon :) and they got jake bean as well!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lol funny haha k tell me what is the main thing that carolina needs ? Number 1 center perharps, just imagine hopkins and skinner together, if not pouliot either sekera and retain some cash or something, they also have hayden fleury comming up soon :) and they got jake bean as well!

Ain't gonna happen bro. If deals like that were there to be had, Chiarelli would've done it 2 months ago and Taylor Hall would probably still be an Oiler.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Btw somebody asked why Larsson wasn't put on the PP. It was because he was too valuable on the pk and 5v5 against top lines that they didn't want to tire him out for the PP when they had other options.

Larsson is steady on the PP but doesn't use his shot enough. He's got a great accurate shot that can be easily deflected. He probably will score more on the Oilers if put on the PP.

I also noticed that they tended to have Palmieri run the pp from the left half wall when I watched. Was that a consistent thing last year. Because that also makes a LHS more natural. In the end it is hard to argue that Schelmko played on the pp over Larsson just based on skill.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
everyone bashes Fayne, but he could be key to unlocking Larsson's offensive ability. Fayne was very good in a shutdown role at the last half of this season. Apparently he was out of shape at the start, and that better not happen again. If Fayne can take a ton of defensive zone starts in the RHD spot, that frees Larsson to at least take a little bit of PP time and offensive zone time.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

What's funny is that you think RNH is a #1C.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Hall #24 for forwards
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2111219

Larsson #35 for defensemen
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2111223

I think Larsson moves up from #35 and by next year they are about equally ranked comparing forwards to defensemen.

not like is justifies the trade, but it isn't bad at face value, remember Larsson is a year younger, D develop slower, and he has a better contract. 24th forward for 35 d is not a tragedy thats for sure.

space321

May 11, 2011
not like is justifies the trade, but it isn't bad at face value, remember Larsson is a year younger, D develop slower, and he has a better contract. 24th forward for 35 d is not a tragedy thats for sure.

$6mil for Taylor Hall is a steal of a contract.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
$6mil for Taylor Hall is a steal of a contract.

Hall has a good contract (around 30th in caphit amongst forwards) which could be great to awesome if he rips it up in NJD.

Larsson has a great contract (around 70th in caphit amongst defensemen) which could become awesome if he performs in EDM.

That is my opinion of course and it depends a whole lot on what will happen for the next couple of seasons. I think that both Hall and Larsson will be worth about $1.5M-$2.0M more than they are paid right now at the end of this season.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I take the 35th ranked D who is probably around the top 10 in RHD over Taylor Hall. I can't wait to see what Larsson does with more offensive zone starts. He can play 27 minutes a game no problem.

Matty97

Aug 1, 2016
What's funny is that you think RNH is a #1C.

Well he was for 4 years or so and well i believe he could be on a different team, edmonton never had a defenseman that could ever help them or him, you are telling me that he is not a better number 1 center then staal or turris or brassard

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Well he was for 4 years or so and well i believe he could be on a different team, edmonton never had a defenseman that could ever help them or him, you are telling me that he is not a better number 1 center then staal or turris or brassard

Staal was muuuuch better but is not 1C anymore so I don't why you would compare them.
Brassard is probably better and Turris is better imo. RNH could have / should have been better though. Let's see if he manages to get things together this season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
everyone bashes Fayne, but he could be key to unlocking Larsson's offensive ability. Fayne was very good in a shutdown role at the last half of this season. Apparently he was out of shape at the start, and that better not happen again. If Fayne can take a ton of defensive zone starts in the RHD spot, that frees Larsson to at least take a little bit of PP time and offensive zone time.

Agreed.

I can see Sekera Fayne taking a lot of the pressure off Klefbom Larsson and allow both those two a much better chance of success.

A trim and healthy Fayne could be a big boost to the Oilers success this next year. While he provides little offense his overall game translates well to round out our top 4 for being able to handle top 4 competition.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Even then the value is way off.

Faulk > RNH + Pouliot

And then you add in Aho.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Welcome to HFBoards. Please stick to the Oilers board for a few months. Even if RNH is a 1C it still tilted towards Edmonton because Faulk certainly is a cheap 1RHD.

Agreed.

I can see Sekera Fayne taking a lot of the pressure off Klefbom Larsson and allow both those two a much better chance of success.

A trim and healthy Fayne could be a big boost to the Oilers success this next year. While he provides little offense his overall game translates well to round out our top 4 for being able to handle top 4 competition.
Too much of this every year. I'm not confident in Klefbom being able to stay healthy or Fayne being able to play top 4 minutes. I really wish we had some more NHL depth on the back end because Davidson/Nurse/Reinhart shouldn't be playing more than 12-14 minutes a night.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Welcome to HFBoards. Please stick to the Oilers board for a few months. Even if RNH is a 1C it still tilted towards Edmonton because Faulk certainly is a cheap 1RHD.

Too much of this every year. I'm not confident in Klefbom being able to stay healthy or Fayne being able to play top 4 minutes. I really wish we had some more NHL depth on the back end because Davidson/Nurse/Reinhart shouldn't be playing more than 12-14 minutes a night.

Davidson flourished last season as a #1 guy for us down the stretch. I see no problem in giving him #2 or #3 minutes. He has shown he is capable.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Davidson flourished last season as a #1 guy for us down the stretch. I see no problem in giving him #2 or #3 minutes. He has shown he is capable.

A top four of Larsson/Klefa/Davidson/Sekera ain't that bad.

Fayne on the third pairing is serviceable.

Nurse/Oesterle/Reinhart to battle for the final two defence spots.

It would still be nice to bring a good 4/5D in. That protects the top four from injury and doesn't force allows for those three to battle for one final spot. Competition is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad