Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
What type of "freak things" can happen between warm-ups and the actual game? Maybe he hit his head on a steel bar somewhere, slipped on a bar of soap or a banana peel ("accidentally" left there by Brian Strait) got badly concussed and is now out for the season. That would be a little freakish

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
What type of "freak things" can happen between warm-ups and the actual game? Maybe he hit his head on a steel bar somewhere, got badly concussed and is now out for the season. That would be a little freakish

Any number of things. Could have fainted, had blurry vision, tripped over the sidewalk, bowling ball fell out of a window, etc.

The terminology "freaky thing" seems to indicate that it was an actual one time occurrence that happened (bowling ball, iron bar) but it wouldn't be the first time that Cappy was inarticulate so I wouldn't put too much weight in his words. It may actually be a medical situation beyond an actual accident.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Sounds like a medical condition that they just detected. Ugh.

Could hand/wrist be a possibility?

That quote doesn't sound like it. They'd know how to fix that. Something with his heart, brain, lungs, or diet may be a lot more complicated and require a longer term strategy or plan of action. I'd venture a guess and say it's something along those lines.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Any number of things. Could have fainted, had blurry vision, tripped over the sidewalk, bowling ball fell out of a window, etc.

The terminology "freaky thing" seems to indicate that it was an actual one time occurrence that happened (bowling ball, iron bar) but it wouldn't be the first time that Cappy was inarticulate so I wouldn't put too much weight in his words. It may actually be a medical situation beyond an actual accident.

This^. Cappy has the communication skills of a farm animal and that may be an insult to all farm animals.
He likely has not chosen his words carefully in trying to be vague about describing the situation, so his utterances can lead to a wide range of speculation.
I have considered all of the possibilities already stated on this thread but "freaky thing" and "a situation developed" do not leave you with much, and added together let the mind wander.
Double vision, syncope (fainting), irregular heartbeat are things that are measurable. What I do note is that Pelech was never removed to the hospital by ambulance as most emergencies are, as far as we we know. There is a team doctor in house, so it was dealt with and stabilized on site.

I ave thought of two other possibilities that a rational speaker could call "freaky thing" or fit into "situation developed" and that is he may have swallowed his tongue, which is a popular description of a seizure but really doesn't happen the way it sounds. You can't swallow your tongue but a seizure can create a type of retraction that blocks the air passageway temporarily. So seizure is the thought.
Another is an equipment failure and "injury" from a pre-game warming up, such as a stationary bike. Players sometimes use the bike to warm up before going out, and it could have collapsed under him (liability matter).

The amount of time that has passed without releasing a diagnosis or description is what is "freaky" and is on the part of the organization.
We don't need to know, but we would like to know.

Last edited:

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Has anyone heard anything more yet about him? I don't understand how a guy just goes down for the season and the organization doesn't have a word to say about it to anyone.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Has anyone heard anything more yet about him? I don't understand how a guy just goes down for the season and the organization doesn't have a word to say about it to anyone.
Crickets. It's been weeks now and they still don't know how to diagnose the "freaky thing"?
Being out for the season just deals with immediacy of this playing year, but if they are stumped, it has longer term implications beyond this year.
For what it is worth, I read somewhere that his LTIR is listed as "upper body" but that can mean any of the vital organs from the waist and above.

nthill93

Aug 27, 2014
Glen Cove
Possibly by the end of the week, from what I understand. Lot of outside medical input on this.

From Arthur staple about pelechs condition

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
As a fan, all you really have to know is that he's done for the season. What's the big deal? It's not like you have any say in what happens when you get the real information. I'm sure we will find out over the summer if he's coming back or not.:popcorn:

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I don't want to speculate too much but it's difficult not to. Doesn't sound like anything that is injury related only because I can't think of any type of scenario that pop up and then would be shrouded in this much mystery. Which would leave us with a situation in which some symptom is discovered that would initiate an investigation as to it's cause. From that last Staple tweet it doesn't sound like there is a definitive answer yet. So then we have to think about vague symptoms that would have a multitude of explanations. Maybe some sort of rheumatological or auto-immune thing? This is the type of thing that I can't stop trying to figure out, I'm currently in my last year of med school so I keep bringing up to my friends trying to see if people have any ideas....I guess I lied, I'm totally into speculation in this case.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Someone on here said multiple sclerosis... I think it could be

I respect Pelech's privacy, and I feel bad for him. I just wish the Islanders would stop operating like the old soviet union and disclose us some damn info once and a while. They are so tight lipped

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park

I respect Pelech's privacy, and I feel bad for him. I just wish the Islanders would stop operating like the old soviet union and disclose us some damn info once and a while. They are so tight lipped

Yea i mean, in this case maybe It's not the teams fault. If it is some sort of devastating life long diagnosis I would think the team would feel it's not their place to make it public knowledge.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

Yeah, but after a 5 minute warm up skate getting ready to play....then according to Socrates (Capuano) "a situation developed", "a freaky thing".
So, immediate onset of an event is not a diagnosis. What happen had to be a symptom of one or more underlying conditions, so rule out MS which would not suddenly appear.
What I have always found unusual was no mention of emergency services, treatment by the team physician on site, or removal to the hospital. So the "freaky thing" was not considered life threatening or needed triage to stabilize?
There have been many speculative ideas floated. Staple and Cappy know what happened to cause his being scratched, but even that news has been suppressed.
People will speculate anyway. If he had a breathing problem, a fibrillation event, syncope, any of those dramatic events, they are symptoms of an underlying condition, and so that could have been released. Better than "freaky thing".

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Yeah, but after a 5 minute warm up skate getting ready to play....then according to Socrates (Capuano) "a situation developed", "a freaky thing".
So, immediate onset of an event is not a diagnosis. What happen had to be a symptom of one or more underlying conditions, so rule out MS which would not suddenly appear.
What I have always found unusual was no mention of emergency services, treatment by the team physician on site, or removal to the hospital. So the "freaky thing" was not considered life threatening or needed triage to stabilize?
There have been many speculative ideas floated. Staple and Cappy know what happened to cause his being scratched, but even that news has been suppressed.
People will speculate anyway. If he had a breathing problem, a fibrillation event, syncope, any of those dramatic events, they are symptoms of an underlying condition, and so that could have been released. Better than "freaky thing".

That isn't true. There are plenty of symptoms of MS that could appear suddenly. Vision problems are usually the first thing that is noticed among people that are later found to have MS. He could have suddenly had double vision, blurred vision, etc. after practice which would have led to an investigation into MS.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
That isn't true. There are plenty of symptoms of MS that could appear suddenly. Vision problems are usually the first thing that is noticed among people that are later found to have MS. He could have suddenly had double vision, blurred vision, etc. after practice which would have led to an investigation into MS.

OK, count me as misinformed about MS.
I just think we should know at least what happened that night, which is not a diagnosis since one doesn't exits yet.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Yea i mean, in this case maybe It's not the teams fault. If it is some sort of devastating life long diagnosis I would think the team would feel it's not their place to make it public knowledge.

Agreed, but it just seems like it only happens to us with this fishy stuff

Bingo First Blood. Wang/Snow's islanders have the worst PR with the public/their fans in the league (and maybe in all leagues). It's like they don't care what we think.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Same. It's not even about his career anymore.

This IS very scary and concerning for a young athlete and human.

Our great curiosity is aroused because he is one of our own, but if he were with any other team the concern for him would be understandable
given the serious sounding aspects.

I just wish that Cappy could have described better what took place in the room, which would only be the symptoms of an underlying condition. The many weeks of diagnosis is additionally a worrisome sign as it is either a matter of not being able to determine the cause, or running through many tests to rule out certain conditions.

Whatever it is, we all wish Adam well and a quick and full recovery.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
With all the HIPAA rules, it is none of our business. This may have an affect on his career $$$, so less information the better.

It is his private health. I just want him to come back healthy and for me to clap when he is on the ice in appreciation and congratulations, period.

:help:

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Remember nilsson missed a full year because he was allergic to gluten. Sometimes stupid **** just happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad