Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Ok so it's as reliable as the one I heard about him getting attacked by a mountain lion and contracted rabies.

Gotcha.

Arters Irbe was attacked by his dog Rambo. It fouled his play for life and they put the dog down. #wierdshytehappens

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
There may be some truth to the post about HIPAA laws.

I am ok with privacy even if there is no law involved. That said, if it was a HIPAA thing wouldn't that force every team to not report every injury?

And I am not trying to pester. I really Don't know.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I am ok with privacy even if there is no law involved. That said, if it was a HIPAA thing wouldn't that force every team to not report every injury?

And I am not trying to pester. I really Don't know.

I doubt it's a HIPPA issue. More like he was still being treated/diagnosed for whatever the issue was and they'd rather not disclose anything until they had the issue under control.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Had to be something freak like this.

Wouldn't an aneurysm need immediate emergency care?

I am not a doctor, but as far as I know that is not necessarily the case. If the aneurysm is noticed by chance but has not developed any symptoms then there is really no need for monitoring. If it bursts you are screwed anyways and once the operation date has been set there is really nothing to do.

If you went to hospital due to symptoms developed due to the aneurysm then I think you do get monitored and usually you are operated immidiately.

Perhaps someone with some real medical expertise can chip in here?

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Aneurysm repair is based on size criteria. For someone so young if he did have an aneurysm it would be probably traumatic unless he has some collagen issue. He is Marifinoid, so that is not the issue.

If it is near the shoulder it may be a subclavian artery aneurysm, I doubt he had a thoracic aortic aneurysm.

More likely he may have had a dissection rather than an aneurysm. That can be caused by trauma. That is what Henrik supposedly had last season.

For instance many people get dissections of their carotid artery from neck manipulations such as chiropractic ones, or in the chest from a seat belt via sheering forces from sudden acceleration/deceleration over the chest where the seat belt rests.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2342151

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/424996

Obviously this is all speculation at this point and I was just trying to provide some info on aneurysms and dissections.

Either way, I hope he is back for the post season.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I'm currently in my last year of medical school so maybe someone with more experience can comment but at his age you don't really get a cerebral aneurysm unless it's congenital and even then there are usually other symptoms that probably would be noticed (marfinoid habitus as mentioned or PKD). If that was the case, however, even a burst cerebral aneurysm which is obviously life threatening could be treated if caught immediately.

I don't believe he could have had a dissection. He would need to be involved in some heavy trauma for that to happen and as far as I know nothing like that happened in any of the games he was involved in.

Perhaps he had some heart condition. Something like Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is often asyptomatic and goes undiagnosed and is usually the culprit when you hear of an athlete dropping dead in the middle of a game. There is a possibility of being symptomatic before it gets to that point, however, if diagnosed I would think it would force early retirement. The fact that Staple hinted he may return at the end of the season probably makes this unlikely.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
I'm currently in my last year of medical school so maybe someone with more experience can comment but at his age you don't really get a cerebral aneurysm unless it's congenital and even then there are usually other symptoms that probably would be noticed (marfinoid habitus as mentioned or PKD). If that was the case, however, even a burst cerebral aneurysm which is obviously life threatening could be treated if caught immediately.

I don't believe he could have had a dissection. He would need to be involved in some heavy trauma for that to happen and as far as I know nothing like that happened in any of the games he was involved in.

Perhaps he had some heart condition. Something like Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is often asyptomatic and goes undiagnosed and is usually the culprit when you hear of an athlete dropping dead in the middle of a game. There is a possibility of being symptomatic before it gets to that point, however, if diagnosed I would think it would force early retirement. The fact that Staple hinted he may return at the end of the season probably makes this unlikely.

Pelech's head was caught on the back of a Ranger's skate I believe. That could have caused a dissection. Obviously there are a myriad of things it could be and we are just speculating as the Isles do not divulge anything.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
OK - so who had blood clot? You get 10 internet points. I really thought my mountain lion attack was going to come through.

Its interesting that Stamkos goes for surgery and its reported and only after that is Pelech's condition revealed. I understand not reporting on it the day of, but after the dude has surgery, what's the need for secrecy?

The Stamkos injury and disclosure only highlights how dodgy this organization is.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
OK - so who had blood clot? You get 10 internet points. I really thought my mountain lion attack was going to come through.

Its interesting that Stamkos goes for surgery and its reported and only after that is Pelech's condition revealed. I understand not reporting on it the day of, but after the dude has surgery, what's the need for secrecy?

The Stamkos injury and disclosure only highlights how dodgy this organization is.

:naughty:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I'm on the fence when it comes to a sports team releasing a players private medical conditions.

A broken foot or hand I think is ok but as much as I want to know everything sometimes these guys deserve privacy.

In a case where it's a serious non sports related injury like this or Matt Harvey's bladder, I'm ok with not knowing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad