Confirmed with Link: Adam Lowry 5 years @ 3.25

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
If that's true, I'd hope we don't offer any picks to Seattle and just let them pick Appleton
Realistically, Jets are in deep hole on right-side wing, if Seattle takes Apples. Giving a pick to Seattle for their agreeing to take Beaulieu, might be wisest. Comes down to acceptance by them to see any value in Beaulieu along with accepting hopefully only a 3rd rounder. Our picks will be likely mid to later 20's, not exactly as high of value for Seattle so they may hold out for a 1st or not take it and chosd best available , in their eyes.
Think about it. Would you want Beaulieu over Appleton srarting out a new team? The draft pick likely has longer-shot potentual and not for a couple to few years.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If by overvalue you mean that every team that has success in the playoffs has one and teams that don’t flounder.

Sure, he’s not an elite offensive player but there are a reason even the most progressive GMs like Dubas are bringing in players like Foligno.
over-value as in give in big $$$ or lengthy deals. Foligno is pretty similar to Lowry to impact but cost a lot more 5.5m/yaer, and was just traded for a 1st+, which is pretty much the point. Chevy getting a head-start on this at a pretty reasonable deal, and then that Friedman quote puts it into perspective.
Conversely look at how Benning has tried to build his bottom 6. Lowry might have got $4.5+ AAV on the market.
easily imo. i am not surprised GMs were mad this got done. 4.5m+ on 5 years (or more) was in the realm in possibilities in UFA i believe. which is creeping into over-pay territory for me (i thought 3-4x4m was a fair deal).

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If by overvalue you mean that every team that has success in the playoffs has one and teams that don’t flounder.

Sure, he’s not an elite offensive player but there are a reason even the most progressive GMs like Dubas are bringing in players like Foligno.

Conversely look at how Benning has tried to build his bottom 6. Lowry might have got $4.5+ AAV on the market.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
If you look at AAVs for veteran centers relative to production, Lowry is easily in the $4.5M range based on this year's offensive production. Even if that is not predictive of future production, his overall game and leadership ability would have made him highly coveted.

To those who say that for NHL players it's just a business, I would argue that is a gross oversimplification. Sure, for many players its just about career earnings. For many others, it's also about being on a winning team. But for a smaller group of others, it's all of the above, plus brotherhood, community, loyalty and legacy. Translation: lesser AAV for the greater good.

It'll be very interesting to see to what extent Copp and PLD buy into that ethos.

Addendum: I don't necessarily see this as just a 5 year deal. Of all the players on the Jets, Lowry is most likely to have a 20 year career with the organization. He is smart enough to do almost anything in management.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad