Adam Johnson passed away after accident during game - Mod edit: Do not post the incident in the forum

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Played hockey for 30+ years. No question he kicked out his leg to impede Adam Johnson when he had the puck. It's a dirty play.

No question? You have quite the set of eyes to make that determination based on an incredibly pixelated video shot from quite a distance.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
No question? You have quite the set of eyes to make that determination based on an incredibly pixelated video shot from quite a distance.
His kicked his leg out and upwards. You don't fall like that naturally unless something catapults your leg upwards. The video is grainy but you can clearly see that nothing caused his leg to shoot up like that.

Reactions: Jobeycool

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Played hockey for 30+ years. No question he kicked out his leg to impede Adam Johnson when he had the puck. It's a dirty play.

That being said, I agree that those making this about race are pathetic. Can't we just judge people on their actions?

I wish, but this is 2023 and we have to assign race/political affiliation/etc into EVERYTHING

Reactions: Fiji Water

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

That being said, I agree that those making this about race are pathetic. Can't we just judge people on their actions?
I mean, look around on twitter if you want. I wasn't speaking on the intention of the play in the post you decided you had to quote, and none of us really know either way. I'm just saying it's pretty blatantly obvious why a specific brand of twitter chud have co-opted the absolutely horrific tragedy to push a narrative when they've never watched, cared about, or played hockey in the past. It's ghoulish.

Back to the actual play; guys' legs and sticks do weird shit all the time when they're off balance or falling. I don't think he intentionally tried to cut Johnson, and I definitely don't think he intended to kill him like some are suggesting (not you).

Is there intention by MacKinnon to wildly kick his leg up and back? No. It's the result of the dude being off balance. And before it's noted Graves' stick is in his legs, his stick is on Mac's right shin, Mac's left leg shoots up backwards awkwardly.

I don't know, man. I played hockey for 20+ years myself and saw all kinds of weird tumbles and guys sticks/legs becoming hazards when they lose an edge or something. Feels pretty irresponsible to just out and out declare a guy intentionally roundhouse kicked Johnson out of nowhere because he had a buncha PIMs. It's not like Chris Simon directly stomping on Ruutu's leg along the boards or something. I think it's just an awkward fall by a guy who probably isn't a fantastic skater that ended with an unbelievable tragedy.

Either way, I think there's word the police are investigating so let them review all available footage and come to a decision. /shrug

-edit- Clearer video, not some shitty cropped tweet.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
I mean, look around on twitter if you want. I wasn't speaking on the intention of the play in the post you decided you had to quote, and none of us really know either way. I'm just saying it's pretty blatantly obvious why a specific brand of twitter chud have co-opted the absolutely horrific tragedy to push a narrative when they've never watched, cared about, or played hockey in the past. It's ghoulish.

Back to the actual play; guys' legs and sticks do weird shit all the time when they're off balance or falling. I don't think he intentionally tried to cut Johnson, and I definitely don't think he intended to kill him like some are suggesting (not you).

Is there intention by MacKinnon to wildly kick his leg up and back? No. It's the result of the dude being off balance. And before it's noted Graves' stick is in his legs, his stick is on Mac's right shin, Mac's left leg shoots up backwards awkwardly.

I don't know, man. I played hockey for 20+ years myself and saw all kinds of weird tumbles and guys sticks/legs becoming hazards when they lose an edge or something. Feels pretty irresponsible to just out and out declare a guy intentionally roundhouse kicked Johnson out of nowhere because he had a buncha PIMs. It's not like Chris Simon directly stomping on Ruutu's leg along the boards or something. I think it's just an awkward fall by a guy who probably isn't a fantastic skater that ended with an unbelievable tragedy.

Either way, I think there's word the police are investigating so let them review all available footage and come to a decision. /shrug

-edit- Clearer video, not some shitty cropped tweet.

In that clip MacKinnon's leg is clearly being hooked causing his other leg to catapult upwards.

Edit: Just saw you noted this. We can agree to disagree on that. I do agree though that Twitter is a cesspool, but that is not relevant to the discussion of what actually happened here.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
After watching the replay, the leg kick by Petgrave was absolutely intentional, careless and dangerous. Obviously he probably didn't mean to slit his throat, but he should be held accountable for being so careless with his skate blade which is essentially a razor.
This would be like when Marty McSorley hit Donald Brashear in the side of the head knocking him unconscious with a severe concussion. Sadly this ended more tragic.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
This would be like when Marty McSorley hit Donald Brashear in the side of the head knocking him unconscious with a severe concussion. Sadly this ended more tragic.
Exactly, McSorley was a pos. The Bertuzzi incident also comes to mind in terms of dirty plays with tragic consequences.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
That probably is the right comparable. If I remember right, McSorley was trying to slash Brasher in the shoulder. An illegal play to be sure, but not straight up trying to decapitate him.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
In that clip MacKinnon's leg is clearly being hooked causing his other leg to catapult upwards.

Edit: Just saw you noted this. We can agree to disagree on that. I do agree though that Twitter is a cesspool, but that is not relevant to the discussion of what actually happened here.
You're the one who responded to my post, losing your shit about things being made about race. :laugh: I was originally noting that, ironically, it was absurd and ghoulish that twitter chuds were making the tragedy about race.

Either way, RIP Adam Johnson. It's past time leagues should start to phase in mandates for throat guards and probably cages imo. There've been too many close calls in the past and it was only a matter of time until something like this happened.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
You're the one who responded to my post, losing your shit about things being made about race. :laugh: I was originally noting that, ironically, it was absurd and ghoulish that twitter chuds were making the tragedy about race.

Either way, RIP Adam Johnson. It's past time leagues should start to phase in mandates for throat guards and probably cages imo. There've been too many close calls in the past and it was only a matter of time until something like this happened.
Right, I was agreeing with you that Twitter imbeciles were making it about race...

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The dude didn't go out that shift thinking "I'm going to actually kill this person"

The problem is the dude probably wasn't thinking AT ALL when he went to clip Johnson. He was not off balance, he stuck out his leg after he was impeded by Johnson's teammate from getting to Johnson. It's the same as when a person drives like an idiot and gets somebody killed. No you didn't mean to, but the onus is on you to follow the rules of the road/having control of your vehicle and not ninja kick your f***ing knife boots.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
That probably is the right comparable. If I remember right, McSorley was trying to slash Brasher in the shoulder. An illegal play to be sure, but not straight up trying to decapitate him.
One could say that stick hit by McSorley started the moment and is the reason why sticks must be down on the ice now. So I wonder if everyone will start wearing some kind of neck protection gear.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
I know that I have already thought about buying a neck guard before my next beer league game. To be completely honest, I'm only hesitant because I know my teammates will give me shit for it. Stupid, yes I know l, but I am human. I'm secretly hoping USA Hockey makes neck guards mandatory...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I know that I have already thought about buying a neck guard before my next beer league game. To be completely honest, I'm only hesitant because I know my teammates will give me shit for it. Stupid, yes I know l, but I am human. I'm secretly hoping USA Hockey makes neck guards mandatory...
Yeah, there's a real stupid macho thing about neck guards and cages. Buy it dude, tell 'em they can kiss your ass. Peace of mind >>>

Reactions: Fiji Water

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It's been a few days but I am still upset about what happened. I guess because he played here and I liked him in his short time on the Pens. Or because unlike other times things happen, he died. I'm sure he died at the arena but they want to say he died at the hospital...it took 10 minutes for the ambulance guys to get to him, they could not stop the bleeding.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's been a few days but I am still upset about what happened. I guess because he played here and I liked him in his short time on the Pens. Or because unlike other times things happen, he died. I'm sure he died at the arena but they want to say he died at the hospital...it took 10 minutes for the ambulance guys to get to him, they could not stop the bleeding.
The bolded is the part I don't get. Do they not have medical staff at the arenas? Even in the OHL, they have a team doctor in the stands as well as EMTs on standby where the zamboni comes in.

Maybe it was the type of injury that nothing could have been done anyways, but it seems like the delay in getting proper medical aid certainly didn't help the situation.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The bolded is the part I don't get. Do they not have medical staff at the arenas? Even in the OHL, they have a team doctor in the stands as well as EMTs on standby where the zamboni comes in.

Maybe it was the type of injury that nothing could have been done anyways, but it seems like the delay in getting proper medical aid certainly didn't help the situation.
I don't know how other leagues handle arena issues. I know quick help is here because this is a professional hockey league.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

Healthcare is in a horrendous state over here

since70

Sep 27, 2016
I watched the video, and I thought he was looking to Scott Stevens Johnson, was impeded by Johnson's teammate and tried some ridiculous maneuver to avoid him and completely lost all control of his body.

Reactions: Rave7215

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I hope that the player who caused the injury is seeking help. I could not imagine being in his shoes right now.

Reminds me of the girl in Cbus who died. Sports Illustrated put the player who shot the puck on their front cover as if he was at fault.. Just a disgusting display of "journalism"

I’ll never forget being at that game against the Flames. I was 10 years old at the time. Watching it happen in real time from the upper bowl you thought nothing severe happened. Then the next day it’s all over the news and Espen Knutsen is being labeled as a horrible human being.

Now with what happened to Johnson, it’s being amplified on social media to a disgusting level. That’s honestly pissing me off.

RIP to Adam and my thoughts are with his family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad