Adam Johnson passed away after accident during game - Mod edit: Do not post the incident in the forum

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I hope that the player who caused the injury is seeking help. I could not imagine being in his shoes right now.

Reminds me of the girl in Cbus who died. Sports Illustrated put the player who shot the puck on their front cover as if he was at fault.. Just a disgusting display of "journalism"

Reactions: Gold Diamond

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hope that the player who caused the injury is seeking help. I could not imagine being in his shoes right now.

Reminds me of the girl in Cbus who died. Sports Illustrated put the player who shot the puck on their front cover as if he was at fault.. Just a disgusting display of "journalism"
I remember that incident, the part that stuck with me was that it wasn't so much the deflected puck that killed her, but that the hospital didn't really treat the brain injury as seriously as they should have and missed what ended up killing her. She never died at the rink, it was days after.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I remember that incident, the part that stuck with me was that it wasn't so much the deflected puck that killed her, but that the hospital didn't really treat the brain injury as seriously as they should have and missed what ended up killing her. She never died at the rink, it was days after.
Just reading about that. That wasn't widely reported at the time. She somehow got hit in the temple but tore a vertebral artery. Maybe from the whiplash or something? They don't seem close to eachother.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Just reading about that. That wasn't widely reported at the time. She somehow got hit in the temple but tore a vertebral artery. Maybe from the whiplash or something? They don't seem close to eachother.
Gf at the time was an RN and we were talking about how bizarre it was that she was hit and died two days later and the blame was on the puck, she mentioned how they would check that injury at her hospital and so as curious minds go, I read later what had happened and disliked how the media essentially made it seem like she died at the game from the puck hitting her head when really it injured her and the hospital didn't check well enough during a CT and missed it and that's why she died.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I have to say after re-watching a better version... F him. If not intentional, that was completely wreckless/dangerous. He wanted to line up AJ and looked like he intentionally kicks his leg after being picked on the play.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
NHL player Adam Johnson (29) died on live TV after Matt Petgrave slashed his throat with his skate Petgrave has a history of bad behavior in the EIHL, including racking up the most penalty minutes (2022-2023 season) and getting booted out of games The media quickly has declared it a total accident, but many viewers and expert hockey players are not convinced. What do you think? (Slowed-down clip) Not whole clip just when it happened

Reactions: Coastal Kev

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Gf at the time was an RN and we were talking about how bizarre it was that she was hit and died two days later and the blame was on the puck, she mentioned how they would check that injury at her hospital and so as curious minds go, I read later what had happened and disliked how the media essentially made it seem like she died at the game from the puck hitting her head when really it injured her and the hospital didn't check well enough during a CT and missed it and that's why she died.
"Medical errors" is like the 3rd leading cause of death in the US. Something not talked about nearly enough, unfortunately, but you also don't want to perpetuate doubt in the medical system, for better or for worse.
NHL player Adam Johnson (29) died on live TV after Matt Petgrave slashed his throat with his skate Petgrave has a history of bad behavior in the EIHL, including racking up the most penalty minutes (2022-2023 season) and getting booted out of games The media quickly has declared it a total accident, but many viewers and expert hockey players are not convinced. What do you think? (Slowed-down clip) Not whole clip just when it happened
As I said in the other thread, I think he wanted to make contact with Johnson so I do think there was some level of intent there but I do not think there was a level of malice that suggests he wanted his skate blade to go into Johnson's throat/neck. Wreckless play with a tragic outcome.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
People seem to be overblowing Petgrave's "history." Having a lot of PIMs in a league like that is pretty easy to do. In the ECHL and OHL he didn't take many penalties and in his whole career going back to juniors he has 3 suspensions. Slew foot, spear, something else. Corey Perry has more suspensions in the NHL in the same time frame and nobody considers him a potential murderer.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Is it possible his leg road up Adams stick?

I slowed it down. No. complete trying to leg whip that looks more like a karate kick.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
People seem to be overblowing Petgrave's "history." Having a lot of PIMs in a league like that is pretty easy to do. In the ECHL and OHL he didn't take many penalties and in his whole career going back to juniors he has 3 suspensions. Slew foot, spear, something else. Corey Perry has more suspensions in the NHL in the same time frame and nobody considers him a potential murderer.
Yeah it's a real mystery as to why "End Wokeness" twitter is going so hard. Hmm. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is what I said in the main board thread. My recollection of Petgrave during his OHL days was just a physical defender, but I don't recall ever coming away thinking "what a psychotic dirtbag". Yet folks are talking about him like he's had a Steve Downie/Jesse Boulerice past.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This is what I said in the main board thread. My recollection of Petgrave during his OHL days was just a physical defender, but I don't recall ever coming away thinking "what a psychotic dirtbag". Yet folks are talking about him like he's had a Steve Downie/Jesse Boulerice past.
That seems to be the impression from people that have seen him play before.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
After watching the replay, the leg kick by Petgrave was absolutely intentional, careless and dangerous. Obviously he probably didn't mean to slit his throat, but he should be held accountable for being so careless with his skate blade which is essentially a razor.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
The more I look at what happened, the more it does NOT seem as if Petgrave was tripped up, but was piqued and chose to throw up his legs to impede Johnson, and instead he kicked him right in the throat with his skate blade.

I think Mr. Petgrave has some explaining to do. Ugh, this is so frighteningly awful. The amount of blood AJ lost when he tried to move is beyond sickening.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
The more I look at what happened, the more it does NOT seem as if Petgrave was tripped up, but was piqued and chose to throw up his legs to impede Johnson, and instead he kicked him right in the throat with his skate blade.

I think Mr. Petgrave has some explaining to do. Ugh, this is so frighteningly awful. The amount of blood AJ lost when he tried to move is beyond sickening.
Yeah I became nauseous just watching him skate around after the hit

Yeah it's a real mystery as to why "End Wokeness" twitter is going so hard. Hmm. :laugh:
I'm so sick of everything being framed as a race issue. The dude intentionally tried to kick him with his skate. A tremendously dirty play that should be punished. I don't care if he is black, asian, white or whatever...

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Sadly... they have shown the video and it was no accident.. guess the other player had a history of being a tough guy with dirty tricks... That is AHL and NHL for ya..

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'd imagine he went quickly and didn't suffer at least. The amount of blood was staggering and so quickly.
Hockey you have sharper than knives ice skates... so this stuff is numerically bound to happen at some point. Sad to see it though.
May he rest easy.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The people on Twitter trying to assign blame to the skater suspiciously have never talked about hockey in any way.
Some of the worst people are trying to make this political.

I unwilling saw the clip on my feed. It does look very suspect. The footage isn't great, but it's very hard for my to believe the guy just toe picked and fell how he did. The old Pronger stomp was more clear cut, so I can't see it being clear enough for charges.

Reactions: Jobeycool

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
The people on Twitter trying to assign blame to the skater suspiciously have never talked about hockey in any way.
Played hockey for 30+ years. No question he kicked out his leg to impede Adam Johnson when he had the puck. It's a dirty play.

That being said, I agree that those making this about race are pathetic. Can't we just judge people on their actions?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad