Value of: Adam henrique

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
You have to know Verbeek wants to keep Henrique. Is a late 1st worth not having him around your young players the next 2-3 years, or do they risk trading him, hoping to bring him back in July?

Whether it was Verbeek in Tampa or Detroit, the plan was surround youngsters with quality vets. Anaheim thinks that same way, and they’re thin in that department at forward.

Makes a lot of sense, they’ll try signing him before the deadline.

I don't think he wants to stay. He came to the Ducks with the playoff performer rep and in 7 seasons with the Ducks he's played in 4 games. I think the smoke about asking to get traded earlier was more about just wanting to get out and on a team that's competing. I also don't think it's a coincidence that he's playing his best hockey leading up to all of this.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
You have to know Verbeek wants to keep Henrique. Is a late 1st worth not having him around your young players the next 2-3 years, or do they risk trading him, hoping to bring him back in July?

Whether it was Verbeek in Tampa or Detroit, the plan was surround youngsters with quality vets. Anaheim thinks that same way, and they’re thin in that department at forward.

Makes a lot of sense, they’ll try signing him before the deadline.
If he wants to come back the sign him. Keeping an impending UFA that likely wont come back for 2 months of mentorship, at the cost of a 1st+, seems like a huge mistake for a team in a bottom 5 spot.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You would rather have a guy who has hit 40 points once in his career vs. the guy who has been at or around a 40 point pace for the last five seasons? A quick google also says that Henrique has 126 SH minutes to his 91.

Not that Laughton is useless but this just seems silly.
Points are not what the Avs need. Not a low scoring team or one lacking firepower. A good team has a good checking line.

Good speed, good PK. That is Laughton... Or was. Laughton was a better player a year ago than he's been this season. His metrics this season kinda suck.

Henrique doesn't have a good defensive rating either. His defensive metrics are not what you'd want. So realistically, he's not what the Avs really need.

The Avs need more speed and defensive acumen at 2C. Henrique does the former, but not so much the latter. He's not a great fit for the Avs which is why he's only a rental option for us.

indeed... the Lekhonen trade was a great example of a "win-win"... paying a deadline premium is the cost of doing business, nothing wrong with that at all, especially when the targeted player is a good roster fit.

the eller deal was also cost of doing business at the deadline, and I'm a big Eller fan even now... but not so sure that was the right addition considering the avs situation last year, and things certainly didn't work out well for them. (i'm surprised they doubled down by letting him walk and then going after RyJo at almost double the cap hit... Eller would look better in Colorado than him right now imo).

Will be interesting to see if they suck it up and pay a big price for Henrique. I think they'd be better off looking elsewhere and making sure they address the G situation as well... they've got such great high-end talent in their prime right now, every season wasted by hitting the playoffs with glaring holes has gotta be frustrating for fans and the org. alike.
Premium for Lex? That's funny. Habs got worked over on the Lex deal. You got a so-so prospect that is back in the AHL for poor play and a low 2nd round pick for a 25 year old 2nd liner.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sure, but once Henrique is off market I feel like your going to end up having to ship out a 1st + for him
So RyJo +2024 1st for Laughton at 33% retained ($2MM AAV) would be a slick deal for the Avs.

Laughton is no 2C, but he'd let the Avs move Colton to 2C and Laughton to 3C and give the Avs a crazy heavy 3rd line with Wood and LOC. Another PK option. Some size and speed down the middle.

Do I love Colton at 2C? Not really, but he's a big enough player and he's fast. He'd fit in better with Nuke and Lex. They'd win a ton of puck battles and carry play. That is enough for the Avs from their second line.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Premium for Lex? That's funny. Habs got worked over on the Lex deal. You got a so-so prospect that is back in the AHL for poor play and a low 2nd round pick for a 25 year old 2nd liner.
What is the date today?
What was the date of the trade?

:teach:

Ask yourself, how many 25 year old players with a career high of 31 pts, and 1 yr of RFA left, get moved in the summer time for a 2nd + a recent 1st Rd pick dman excelling in their first pro season...

The inability to consider context is fascinating!

Great return at the time of the trade & remains today, as things have played out, a very good trade for both sides.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So RyJo +2024 1st for Laughton at 33% retained ($2MM AAV) would be a slick deal for the Avs.

Laughton is no 2C, but he'd let the Avs move Colton to 2C and Laughton to 3C and give the Avs a crazy heavy 3rd line with Wood and LOC. Another PK option. Some size and speed down the middle.

Do I love Colton at 2C? Not really, but he's a big enough player and he's fast. He'd fit in better with Nuke and Lex. They'd win a ton of puck battles and carry play. That is enough for the Avs from their second line.
Which is fine, aves should do what’s best for them. We just got to find the best fit for our trade needs

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Colorado lacks depth up front.

They're vulnerable for the playoffs.

They shouldn't p***yfoot, they're in their window and windows are narrow and scarce in the NHL...

You never know IF and WHEN another window will come by.

They shouldn't be hesitant on spending late firsts, that end up most of the time as ordinary NHLers (or flops).

It's now or never for them.

Henrique is a great veteran, good at the faceoff dot, good two way play, still capable of producing a fair amount of goals/points...

If I'm Colorado hockey management, I'm all in on him... even if it cost a 1st...

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Henrique has never been a great defensive metrics guy but he’s a savvy and versatile veteran with speed which I think fits the Avs more than fine. I’m less concerned with stitching together concrete middle six lines with specific identities and more concerned with flexibility and adding some savvy to the group.

Strong even-strength producer, plays heavy special teams minutes both PK and PP and excellent on the dot.

I would much preferred to have gotten him last year for two runs at the apple but he’s showing no signs of slowing down, on a bad team.

He continues to tick a lot of boxes and has always been the far superior fit to Monahan. I don’t love it but with the market rates what they are, I think you have got put that 2024 1st on the line even for a 34 year-old rental, if he fits.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
What is the date today?
What was the date of the trade?

:teach:

Ask yourself, how many 25 year old players with a career high of 31 pts, and 1 yr of RFA left, get moved in the summer time for a 2nd + a recent 1st Rd pick dman excelling in their first pro season...

The inability to consider context is fascinating!

Great return at the time of the trade & remains today, as things have played out, a very good trade for both sides.
Lehkonen was at 0.5PPG of almost purely ES production with good D on top of that when he was traded. Im sure Avs would gladly pay even higher price for C equivalent of that today.
Barron was hardly excelling. And trades same as contracts and drafting are judged mostly based on results. That is GM job.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Lehkonen was at 0.5PPG of almost purely ES production with good D on top of that when he was traded. Im sure Avs would gladly pay even higher price for C equivalent of that today.
Barron was hardly excelling. And trades same as contracts and drafting are judged mostly based on results. That is GM job.

Correct. Lehkonen was an analytics monster when he was with that trash Habs team. He didn’t become one after the trade. He was already one. He was primed for a breakout well before the Avs got him. He got good fair value but anybody who cared to dig a little bit past the sortable points column on NHL.com would have understood the value there and why he was a screaming alarm bell of a “BUY BUY BUY” stock.

The irony of that post is like somebody telling you they are going to teach you an advanced math lesson and then they say “20 is greater than 10…you’ve been schooled!”

lol.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Points are not what the Avs need. Not a low scoring team or one lacking firepower. A good team has a good checking line.

Good speed, good PK. That is Laughton... Or was. Laughton was a better player a year ago than he's been this season. His metrics this season kinda suck.

Henrique doesn't have a good defensive rating either. His defensive metrics are not what you'd want. So realistically, he's not what the Avs really need.

The Avs need more speed and defensive acumen at 2C. Henrique does the former, but not so much the latter. He's not a great fit for the Avs which is why he's only a rental option for us.

Henrique is the top PK center on the most penalized team in the league... Not sure how you could ask for a better/more experienced PKer lol

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Based on what we've seen in the market thus far, I think Adam absolutely will garner a first.

The team getting him will be very happy. Exceptionally solid player that will chip in semi-frequently. Good veteran presence.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Yes. Sakic and the Avs have lost many many trades. Like Toews and Burakovsky, Lehkonen, Ross Colton, Kadri, Josh Manson, Cogs, Duchene. Just a long history of taking Ls post trade.

Sakic and Co clearly have no idea how to value players, how to target good fits or structure compensation. The Avs gave up two picks around 60th overall for Devon Toews. TWO late 2nd rounders and all they got was a top pair Dman that plays 23 minutes a game making $4.1MM per season. Stupid Avs.

They actually gave San Jose a late 5th round pick for Andrew Cogliano and all he did was score a game tying goal late in game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals the Avs went on to win in overtime. What a dumb way to spend that 179th pick in the draft.

And the Habs... was super painful playing in Montreal a few weeks ago and seeing Barron as a healthy scratch just before he was demoted to the AHL when you contrast that to all Lehkonen has ever did for the Avs was score the Stanley Cup winning goal. And the series winning goal in OT over McDavid. Avs badly lost this trade obviously.

Did you see what they gave up for Ryan Johansen? Alex Galenchuk... THE Alex Galenchuk 2 days before he hit UFA.

Avs just getting their face ripped off at every turn.
You... I like you...

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
As a Canuck fan, I'm glad that we jumped the market and got Lindholm (dumping Kuzmenko's contract for a 1st, and selling high on Hunter prospect and late assets, but I digress). With the obvious decrease in supply after Elias and Sean were dealt, demand will skyrocket for a 2nd line guy like Henrique or Laughton.

But the decrease in supply has also decreased the demand, as Vancouver is no longer in the market. And now the Jets are also out of the market, having giving up a 1st for Monahan. So who is left competing for Henrique or Laughton that is going to drive the price up? There's the Avs, and who else?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You’re moving the goalposts. Your original comment was that Henrique was overpaid and that it required Anaheim taking back an 8 million dollar cap dump to account for his overpaid salary. You completely ignored all the Ducks fans saying retention is expected and not a problem. Which by your admission, would make him no longer overpaid. So, why is a capdump necessary?

Now to address your other points that weren’t in your original comment…Bringing up his age isn’t relevant. He’d be a rental acquisition who is ufa after this season. They can part ways after that.

His stats are relevant because as a rental for a playoff run, you would want someone who produces and he’s producing at the higher end of second line production. On top of that, he adds sound defense as well as face off abilities.

If ryjo needs to go back to the Ducks, I don’t necessarily see a problem with that. I do think it should require something positive attached to him though. But to say he’s there because Henrique is somehow a negative value, is just not accurate at all.

Who said Henrique is negative value? Thats daft in a thread where people are discussing the acquisition cost for him.

But the decrease in supply has also decreased the demand, as Vancouver is no longer in the market. And now the Jets are also out of the market, having giving up a 1st for Monahan. So who is left competing for Henrique or Laughton that is going to drive the price up? There's the Avs, and who else?

Boston, Carolina, and NYR?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Who said Henrique is negative value? Thats daft in a thread where people are discussing the acquisition cost for him.

I don’t really think Boston would be in on it. Over 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2022, 2023 and 2024 the Bruins have only had two firsts. From 2018-2025 only three 2nds.

(Beecher, Lysell, Poitras, Lorhei and Axel Andersson (traded) isn’t a lot for 7 years of drafting. At least all those picks but Andersson are trending well to various degrees)

I’m sure they could talk themselves into continuing this trend if they were getting a guy they could give term to, but Henrique isn’t that.

Although, honestly, he would be a great fit on the roster.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

I agree that the Rangers could be interested.

Does Boston have the cap space to add either of them?

Does Carolina still have the cap space to add either of them if they trade for a G upgrade (or if Andersen comes back this year)?

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

I'm in favor of this trade purely for the entertainment value of seeing RyJo and Torts reunited.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Colorado, Toronto, Edmonton, NJ, NYI?
Is this a list of teams looking for forward depth? Or centers?

I thought the question was based on centers.

Edit: my mistake. It’s not necessarily a list of teams needing centers.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

All of those teams have been linked to wanting to add more middle center depth. Henrique can play the wing as well however.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Henrique is the top PK center on the most penalized team in the league... Not sure how you could ask for a better/more experienced PKer lol
The Avs have been scouting Henrique for a while. That’s known. I never heard any noise they looked at Monahan. Lindholm was too expensive.

The Avs GM and scouts have been at Duck games recently. Probably not to see Drysdale.

Kidding aside. They may be scouting Zegras.

So take that info into account.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The Avs have been scouting Henrique for a while. That’s known. I never heard any noise they looked at Monahan. Lindholm was too expensive.

The Avs GM and scouts have been at Duck games recently. Probably not to see Drysdale.

Zegras has been out with a broken ankle, so they haven't been scouting him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Henrique can play wing and center

Lol scouting his personal life?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad