Player Discussion Adam Gaudette, Pt. II

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Not sure if Hockeydb is right but Gadette weighs less than pettersson?

Dude needs to put on weight/muscle

Hockey db they don't normally update the weight that often. Petey is listed at 176 and that was his weight when he started the nhl. I believe Gaudette weight of 170 was from last season. I don't believe Gaudette is still at 170

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hockey db they don't normally update the weight that often. Petey is listed at 176 and that was his weight when he started the nhl. I believe Gaudette weight of 170 was from last season. I don't believe Gaudette is still at 170
Gaud has to way more than 170. I’d say he’s around 180 and so is Petey. When both guys are fully mature, I’d say both are close to 200.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gaudette has made large improvements this season. While he’s been trending down recently. He gives it all though
Exactly. Hes not the youngest player anymore but he keeps improving every year so lets ride it!

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Gaudette has been improving. His deficiencies won’t be fixed overnight.

I think his skating will improve over the next few years (and offseasons).

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I think he has more chemistry with Jake than Brock.

Agreed. Jake’s speed opens up room for Gaudette. What the heck happened to Roussel? He fell off a cliff since his first few games back, he’s lucky Leivo and Ferland are out or he and Eriksson would probably be in the press box, hopefully he picks it up.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
He is struggling. playing very perimeter based on offence and getting hemmed in on defence.

I think he needs to sit and rest/watch for a couple of games.

He has stalled the last 6 weeks.

I think he would benefit from having a puck possesion/playmaker on his line.

I currently dont have him in our playoff lineup if im being honest.

Miller- Pettersson- Virtanen
Pearson- Horvat- Boeser
Ferland- Sutter- Rousell
Motte- Beagle- Eriksson

Scratched- Leivo, Gaudette, Schaller

Wouldn't be surprised if hes the one we leave unprotected for Seattle, hoping he proves me wrong and he continues to develop. I also wouldnt rule out a transition to wing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He is struggling. playing very perimeter based on offence and getting hemmed in on defence.

Pearson- Horvat- Boeser
Ferland- Sutter- Rousell
Motte- Beagle- Eriksson

Wouldn't be surprised if hes the one we leave unprotected for Seattle, hoping he proves me wrong and he continues to develop. I also wouldnt rule out a transition to wing.
Gaud just seems a bit light to me. For him to play well he needs to play heavy. He’s not heavy.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA

Pearson- Horvat- Boeser
Ferland- Sutter- Rousell
Motte- Beagle- Eriksson

I think patience is the key here. Got off to a hot start early in the year and has cooled off. Saw glimpses of what he can do last night. Agreed that maybe a game or two to watch would be good for him.
Sometime's a literal change in perspective can open your eyes to things you're not seeing on the ice because they happen so fast.
Personally, I'm not worried about him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Pearson- Horvat- Boeser
Ferland- Sutter- Rousell
Motte- Beagle- Eriksson

Not a chance we leave a cost controlled player that can score for Seattle. We'll be dangling all sorts of salary.

Eriksson is not ahead of Leivo for me.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Not a chance we leave a cost controlled player that can score for Seattle. We'll be dangling all sorts of salary.

Eriksson is not ahead of Leivo for me.

In the playoffs Eriksson will 100% be ahead of Leivo for a 4th line role.

Eriksson kills penalties and is very defensively reliable. Valuable assets to have in a playoff series.

If were talking top 6 role then for sure Leivo is ahead of Eriksson, barring he has healed from broken knee cap.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
In the playoffs Eriksson will 100% be ahead of Leivo for a 4th line role.

Eriksson kills penalties and is very defensively reliable. Valuable assets to have in a playoff series.

If were talking top 6 role then for sure Leivo is ahead of Eriksson, barring he has healed from broken knee cap.
Loui is having a nice renaissance but lets get serious here. Leivo is much better with Horvat and Pearson game in game out.

Reactions: calnuck

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Loui is having a nice renaissance but lets get serious here. Leivo is much better with Horvat and Pearson game in game out.

which is why i said Leivo is ahead of Eriksson if its a top 6 role.

but its for a 4th line role, which is where i have LK, then id rather be him in that spot instead of Leivo because LK kills penalties and can be relied on when we have the lead.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Pearson- Horvat- Boeser
Ferland- Sutter- Rousell
Motte- Beagle- Eriksson

Gaudette has hit a lull. The issue is he really needs wingers that can insulate him in terms of possession, defensive play and physicality. A guy like Leivo would make a perfect fit there, and is FAR too valuable to scratch in the playoffs. Ferland well...his career might be over.

I'm also now on team Cup-or-bust, so I'd look at supplementing our forwards with someone like Toffoli.

New lines:
Miller - Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Bo - Toffoli
Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen
Roussell - Sutter - Eriksson

As constructed, you have 4 solid lines with defensive presence on each. I could see Gaudette getting subbed out, moving Suttter up, and playing Beagle on the 4th line.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

I am not so sure about that, it does seem like it is common sense that Leivo is a better option than Eriksson but since Eriksson was on the Horvat line. Horvat has started to produce, don't think it's a coincidence. Also Horvat matches against the top lines. Don't believe Leivo has much exprience playing that matchup role. We need remember one thing as well there a difference between bad contact and bad player. Eriksson definitely had a bad contract but he is not a bad player. He is still a player that can produce 30 P and be solid definitely and don't make a lot mistakes out there. Eriksson did outscored Leivo last year and Leivo had all that time with Petey as well

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If Sutter doesn't get hurt again, I think it is just matter of time before Green put Sutter back as the third line center. I really don't think Green trust Gaudette at center in the playoffs

I like the lines like this

Miller Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Ferland Sutter Leivo
Rousell Beagle Eriksson

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's hard to say. The underlying numbers suggest that Horvat and Pearson have been much better with Loui on their line than without.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Gaudette has hit a lull. The issue is he really needs wingers that can insulate him in terms of possession, defensive play and physicality. A guy like Leivo would make a perfect fit there, and is FAR too valuable to scratch in the playoffs. Ferland well...his career might be over.

I'm also now on team Cup-or-bust, so I'd look at supplementing our forwards with someone like Toffoli.

New lines:
Miller - Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Bo - Toffoli
Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen
Roussell - Sutter - Eriksson

As constructed, you have 4 solid lines with defensive presence on each. I could see Gaudette getting subbed out, moving Suttter up, and playing Beagle on the 4th line.

A bit premature saying Ferland's career is over considering he is going to Utica on a conditioning stint and should be back in the Canuck lineup within a couple of weeks.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's hard to say. The underlying numbers suggest that Horvat and Pearson have been much better with Loui on their line than without.
Underlying numbers?? sounds so catchy like were all missing the fact that Loui has been under fire since he arrived for his abysmal performance and now after sleeping through the early grind of the season pulled his rested carcass out of the gutter and strung together a few weeks of good hockey. Also ignoring the fact that post xmas Horvat has been a different player than the one prior.

He will regress. You can set your watch to it.

But the thread is about Gaudette so lets talk about Adam....I have noticed some marketable improvements in his play away from the puck but he's far from being strong on the puck and his passing is pretty deliberate. When his wheels are not at their best he is and can be a bit of a liability even though his effort is rarely in question. Feel like it would be a mistake to go back to Sutter as the 3c at this point in the season and would prefer they promote Boeser and either bring Virtanen back to his line or promote Sutter and drop Loui to the 4th if he plays another game like SJ.

The team is winning so there is little reason to make big changes. Gaudette as the 3c and his offensive contributions has had some nice positive impact towards our success and ability to attack teams in waves. No reason to cut that off after some mild struggles.

Reactions: Momesso

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Underlying numbers?? sounds so catchy like were all missing the fact that Loui has been under fire since he arrived for his abysmal performance and now after sleeping through the early grind of the season pulled his rested carcass out of the gutter and strung together a few weeks of good hockey. Also ignoring the fact that post xmas Horvat has been a different player than the one prior.

But the thread is about Gaudette so lets talk about Adam....I have noticed some marketable improvements in his play away from the puck but he's far from being strong on the puck and his passing is pretty deliberate. When his wheels are not at their best he is and can be a bit of a liability even though his effort is rarely in question. Feel like it would be a mistake to go back to Sutter as the 3c at this point in the season and would prefer they promote Boeser and either bring Virtanen back to his line or promote Sutter and drop Loui to the 4th if he plays another game like SJ.

The team is winning so there is little reason to make big changes. Gaudette as the 3c and his offensive contributions has had some nice positive impact towards our success and ability to attack teams in waves. No reason to cut that off after some mild struggles.

He's not wrong

Forget the Cash, Loui Eriksson is Money

That being said he needs to be gone one way or the other this offseason.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

A mild struggle is not a 25 game stretch with 2 G being scored. He has struggled 5 on 5 for the whole season. This year 5 on 5 he has 3 G 7 A 10 P. 2 of those goals in a game against Pits with no defence and goaltending. People say with Gaudette in the lineup give the Canucks 3 scoring lines is a myth. I give Credit for Gaudette on the 2nd pp unit, he has been good. Sutter has 6 H 3 A 9 P 5 on 5 and that is with 16 games less. Gaudette gets easier matchup and has one of the higher Offensive zone starts on the team but has one of the worst corsi on the team.

If healthy Sutter as of this point is the better 3rd line center. I don't even think that is even debateable. I don't convince people that Sutter is better defensively, I think all Gaudette fans know that

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
He's an ideal candidate to throw a cheap-ish, yet big enough to entice any player, long term contract at. My mind is going blank thinking of the examples but you guys probably know what I'm talking about.

I realize it's a big risk but how would you guys feel about throwing him Sutter money long term? No? Would he accept that if he's confident he will get much better?

Sutter money? Hell no...........he might grow into that but no way we need to pay him anywhere near that now. That's a big overpayment. We could probably sign him for 3-4 years at 2 or 2.5 I bet. He's probably better off to prove himself for a bit THEN sign a longer term contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad