Prospect Info: Adam Edström, C, 6th round, 161st overall, 2019

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Right. I think he could be a nice 4th liner, still. Barron is 6'2" and could also factor in down there. If we can ice some 6'2"+ guys who can skate, that would be great.

This is very important and I don’t think Getts has it to be effective. Want to see what he brings this season but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Then we differ. IMHO he's not quick enough to get on forecheck and pursuit across all 200.
Gettinger is a good skater period: not just for his size. Might not have an elite turning radius, but using him as F2 is what you would want rather than your 200’ F1.

Added: Edstrom was hurt at the start of camp, was skating again as of last week.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gettinger is an okay skater. He has big lumbering strides and lacks agility, but he gets where he needs to be. I don't think it alone would prevent him from having an NHL career, but it's definitely not a strength.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

That is pretty big that he lead his team in TOI (forwards) one game, he was somewhat far from that level last season.

He is talented, but it’s hard to find compareables that have made it to the NHL. He kind of need to carve out a role for him that doesn’t exist today.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That is pretty big that he lead his team in TOI (forwards) one game, he was somewhat far from that level last season.

He is talented, but it’s hard to find compareables that have made it to the NHL. He kind of need to carve out a role for him that doesn’t exist today.

That hit was absolutely gorgeous. A shame that the SHL suspends players over clean hits.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That hit was absolutely gorgeous. A shame that the SHL suspends players over clean hits.

Was it clean though? He hit a defenseless while leading with his arm. It may not be a suspension in the NHL, but I can understand why it is in the SHL. They are a lot stricter when it comes to player safety and trying to prevent injuries.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It was borderline but the suspension length was silly. We've been down this road though, no sense revisiting it (on my end, anyway).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It was borderline but the suspension length was silly. We've been down this road though, no sense revisiting it (on my end, anyway).

Yeah it's a standard 3-week suspension for a dangerous hit. Nils Höglander was given a 3-week suspension last December for a similar hit.

I wish the NHL would hand out more serious suspensions for this type of behaviour but I feel we are going to disagree on this haha

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah it's a standard 3-week suspension for a dangerous hit. Nils Höglander was given a 3-week suspension last December for a similar hit.

I wish the NHL would hand out more serious suspensions for this type of behaviour but I feel we are going to disagree on this haha

I'd like the NHL to be consistent and forceful in suspending players for dirty, predatory hits. I don't think this was that.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'd like the NHL to be consistent and forceful in suspending players for dirty, predatory hits. I don't think this was that.
I think predatory is a key distinction here. Obviously all hits are to force the puck carrier to lose it, but do hits where they deliberately target someone to absolutely blow them up not count as predatory?

For example, Trouba's hit on Dal Colle. It was beautiful, an absolute bomb of a hit but I generally think of hits like that when I think of predatory. I know there's a diff between Raffi Torres sending Hossa to the hospital when his back was turned but a hit can be "clean" and be a deliberate attempt to send a player to the moon at the same time. Euro leagues tend to not really differentiate between the two.....evidenced by Hoglander and Edstroms suspensions.

Reactions: nyr2k2

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
The euro leagues play and enforce hockey as if it were a contact sport, not collision. Former nhl guys who have played in the DEL literally said they give penalties if you hit a guy too hard into the boards.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think predatory is a key distinction here. Obviously all hits are to force the puck carrier to lose it, but do hits where they deliberately target someone to absolutely blow them up not count as predatory?

For example, Trouba's hit on Dal Colle. It was beautiful, an absolute bomb of a hit but I generally think of hits like that when I think of predatory. I know there's a diff between Raffi Torres sending Hossa to the hospital when his back was turned but a hit can be "clean" and be a deliberate attempt to send a player to the moon at the same time. Euro leagues tend to not really differentiate between the two.....evidenced by Hoglander and Edstroms suspensions.
I'm decently close with the Klecko family (switching sports, I know). Joe Klecko once told me that when he hit people he wanted to hurt them; but then he very quickly clarified that he didn't want to injure anyone. He said he wanted to hit the QB, so when the QB got up, he said, "f*** me, I am going to be in horrible pain tomorrow." And honestly I think in a contact sport, that's a fair approach. If you can hit people, it's fair to go in hoping to hurt them, just not hoping to injure them.

In hockey, if you chicken wing someone, or drive them into the boards from behind, or approach someone from the blindside and clean them out, etc., those things to me are predatory and either have a direct intent to injure, or are reckless enough that an injury would reasonably be expected. When Lindgren damn near killed Donskoi, he did it right--came from straight on, drove into the body, and caught the head as a result of the position Donskoi had put him in. Donskoi made himself vulnerable and Lindgren made him pay. That's a scary hit and it sucks that Donskoi was concussed or whatever but it was a clean hit.

Edstrom was similar. Guy wasn't expecting it because he had been engaged with a different player, Edstrom comes in, his shoulder and arm go into the other guy's upper body, dude gets wrecked. Didn't look like he went for the head, I don't really think he threw his arm out (if it came out, it was that natural thing that happens after contact at high speeds), all in all it seemed mostly fine. I don't know. You can maybe criticize him, like Lindgren, for hitting a guy as the "third man" so to speak, but that's about it for me.

That said, when Shesterkin got that game misconduct and suspension for tripping, that was the dumbest thing I had seen. Apparently it was correct by the rules, though. I know the NHL rules but not the rules of all the other leagues and the IIHF. So, it is what it is I guess. And I do commend the other leagues for taking a hard stance on violent hits to the head; I just think sometimes they're a bit over-zealous.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

It was kind of a perfect storm of events leading up to that Trouba-Dal Colle collision. It was Pageau's first game with the Islanders and he basically fed Dal Colle a suicide pass at the same time that he put it in his feet so Dal Colle as he was moving towards the blue line was looking downward for the puck in his feet and Trouba's already committed and on the way and if he doesn't get a piece of Dal Colle then Dal Colle is past him. To me Pageau is as much the culprit here as anybody and if his pass had at least been on Dal Colle's stick Dal Colle's head would have been up and he would have had some chance to react.

Reactions: egelband

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
In the NHL, this wouldn't be a suspension
I was just thinking of the Lias Andersson hit on Bergeron..was it something like the second video posted ...the backhanded inadvertent elbow toss LOL....for lack of a better description ? The Bruins chased him all through the 3rd period for it . Anybody remember that game ? I guess it was OK for Bergeron to chin tap Mika but don't touch Bergeron the same . Once upon a time a good old fashioned fight solved those types of hits . Make a long story short...I hope he becomes a mean Bastard if he becomes a Ranger because we will need some guys like that .

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
1st Period

He looks like a dad at a kid's tournament, standing amongst them during the anthem.

1st shift, opening faceoff:
Uneventful. 2 of the 3 faceoffs during this shift, he completely negated the winger he lined up against to get to loose pucks. The other, his team lost more cleanly.

Rogle PP at 1:41. Not on either unit. Rogle scores with 33 seconds left 1-0.

2nd shift, centre ice draw:
Aggressive and took perfect routes on the forecheck and then backcheck, but was a step behind and wasn't able to force the issue in either direction. Was rushed into a neutral zone pass that he never turned over, but didn't put it in a great spot for his linemate either.

3rd shift, on the fly:
Very nice quick pass at his own blueline to start a breakout into a 2v3, then beat two defenders skating down the ice to be open for a one-time pass in front of the net, but his teammate took the shot. Used his body to create time and space in the o-zone corner to easily chip the puck back to the point, then went hard to the net and nearly had an in tight opportunity.

4th shift, on the fly:
Outbodied a defender to give a teammate a clear path with the puck in the o-zone right corner, then circled and went hard to the net, getting a one-time chance from between the circle and the net, but the goalie swallowed up.

5th shift, neu zone draw;
Uneventful. Opponent was cycling most of the shift. He was the only guy that had a chance to clear at any point, and under lots of pressure, he tried a bit of a risky cross-ice pass that was behind his teammate (similar to his pass on his second shift). It got out of the zone, but they never maintained possession and it came back into Rogle's zone, eventually being a shot and cover.

6th shift, neu zone draw:
Was a bit out of position defensively, but recovered and used his long reach to force a turnover on an attacker cutting into the centre of the ice. Then beat both defenders to the endboards on a forecheck, and despite getting crunched pretty solidly, kept the puck alive. Then couldn't get his stick on a loose puck in the slot, but caused enough chaos that it left a teammate wide open to take a shot a few feet behind him, while he crashed the net.

7th shift, def zone draw:
Aided a turnover in the d-zone and then got the outlet pass, but again tried that questionable cross-ice pass (under much less pressure this time) that became a turnover, but forced the opponent's back into their zone. He really doesn't seem to want to carry the puck; lots of quick passes as soon as he touches it.

Rogle PK. Edstrom on first unit.

8th shift, def zone draw, PK:
He covers a lot of space on the PK. Did his job well, though I don't like how the PK allows for cross-ice passes to be opened up. But when the puck went low and his three teammates collapsed to cover, it got poked in. 1-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad