Prospect Info: Adam Edström, C, 6th round, 161st overall, 2019

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I certainly wouldn't pencil Edstrom into the lineup next year. He had a nice first NHL game but he's not exactly producing in the AHL. He has 4 5v5 points in 21 games.
Welp he just scored another nice goal today.

He has an NHL game.

He's not going to be Tim Kerr or Chris Kreider goals or points wise. When he was drafted the hope was Dwight King meets Jesper Fast.

I think that's a fair comparison. If his overall game is very good and he can keep up with the pace (which he has shown he can), he will probably be a 12-15 goal 10-12 assist guy who PKs and can step up with the top six when needed.

And that's great and another affordable piece for the next 5-7 years.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Rempe is a non prospect and in all likelihood will never play an NHL game

I disagree with this. To me, it's clear the organization likes him for a specific role. He's being groomed for a spot that Drury and his management team clearly think needs filled and his game is actually rounding into form. If he can take a step and start working more on the PK to use his reach, I think he carves out a nice 4th line role for himself.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I disagree with this. To me, it's clear the organization likes him for a specific role. He's being groomed for a spot that Drury and his management team clearly think needs filled and his game is actually rounding into form. If he can take a step and start working more on the PK to use his reach, I think he carves out a nice 4th line role for himself.

Agreed completely. The opposing view may have been true 2 years ago. But he's really been improving.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Rempe's path to the NHL is a bit harder and longer than Edström's, but Edström also has 4 years of professional hockey playing against fully grown men, in his backpocket. Rempe played junior hockey until he was 20 and needs to take some extra steps. But he definitely has a chance to make it in, as you describe it, a defined role.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Just laying this out for people but:

Rempe is 21 years old right now and has 7 points in 25 games.
Edstrom is 23 years old and has 10 points in 22 games played

The key for Rempe is going to be to continue improving and working on areas of his game that will carve out a NHL future. Whether that's face-offs (which he is now working on), PKing, smart defensive play, etc.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just laying this out for people but:

Rempe is 21 years old right now and has 7 points in 25 games.
Edstrom is 23 years old and has 10 points in 22 games played

The key for Rempe is going to be to continue improving and working on areas of his game that will carve out a NHL future. Whether that's face-offs (which he is now working on), PKing, smart defensive play, etc.

Successful 6th round picks for the Rangers:

Carl Hagelin
Jesper Fast
Morgan Barron
Adam Edström

Matt Rempe next?

And yes, I consider Edström a successful pick already.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me a 6'8 225 lb. guy that can skate with a good game away from the puck is a pretty surefire NHL player whether he puts up a lot of production or not and a player like that can't help but be a physical force when he's out on the ice. Skating and size like that is a problem for opponent's defenses and we got some glimpses of that in the Anaheim game. He really didn't need to score a goal in the last few seconds to make a big impression that night.....all that did was just cap off his night. But size like that comes with reach....is almost impossible to move or go through, even a problem to go around and when he gets into the battle areas that causes other problems and because Edstrom can skate that only accentuates everything. This is not Derek Booggard.....he skates way better and he's not really a fighter but because he's got some game it's easy to envision his taking a regular shift one day in the relatively near future.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
To me a 6'8 225 lb. guy that can skate with a good game away from the puck is a pretty surefire NHL player whether he puts up a lot of production or not and a player like that can't help but be a physical force when he's out on the ice. Skating and size like that is a problem for opponent's defenses and we got some glimpses of that in the Anaheim game. He really didn't need to score a goal in the last few seconds to make a big impression that night.....all that did was just cap off his night. But size like that comes with reach....is almost impossible to move or go through, even a problem to go around and when he gets into the battle areas that causes other problems and because Edstrom can skate that only accentuates everything. This is not Derek Booggard.....he skates way better and he's not really a fighter but because he's got some game it's easy to envision his taking a regular shift one day in the relatively near future.
I’ve heard he can throw ‘em too fwiw.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think it's a matter of when and not if with Edstrom.

Right now they'd prefer he have consistent playing time in Hartford and continue to round out his game. Also with Sykora being loaned for the WJC the next few weeks, Big Ed will have a slightly expanded role.

Plus the Rangers have a cap and roster space issue. They seem pretty happy with their forward group in present state. If there's an injury to a non-center, he should continue to get cups of coffee.

He's very close to being a regular as soon as next month, and as late as training camp 2024.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I think it's a matter of when and not if with Edstrom.

Right now they'd prefer he have consistent playing time in Hartford and continue to round out his game. Also with Sykora being loaned for the WJC the next few weeks, Big Ed will have a slightly expanded role.

Plus the Rangers have a cap and roster space issue. They seem pretty happy with their forward group in present state. If there's an injury to a non-center, he should continue to get cups of coffee.

He's very close to being a regular as soon as next month, and as late as training camp 2024.
Does he always play wing? I thought he was drafted as a center. If he is good at faceoffs and play center, he can be another faceoff guy to the Rangers. If he does play wing after being drafted as a center, why do most of these types play LW and not RW especially with the lack of RW depth?

Reactions: egelband

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Does he always play wing? I thought he was drafted as a center. If he is good at faceoffs and play center, he can be another faceoff guy to the Rangers. If he does play wing after being drafted as a center, why do most of these types play LW and not RW especially with the lack of RW depth?
He did play some center but I believe once he became a full-timer in the SHL, he was a winger. He shoots lefty but could probably make the switch to RW if that's where depth and playing time is needed. He has an excellent defensive game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’ve heard he can throw ‘em too fwiw.

As far as I know Edstrom's never been in a fight. He's had majors before but they've pretty much been for being too big---just running over guys. If he got in a scrap I think he would be alright in the respect that with his reach he could just hold out most opponents at a distance and with his size whatever blows he might take wouldn't have much effect at least coming from most players. At 23 if a player has never had a fight though I think it best they try not to acquire that kind of a skill and to me that is an acquired skill. The guys who fight more frequently and there's definintely not as many these days got good or better at that usually by taking a lot of lumps along the way.

Also regarding the game as it is today I think players can be very physical without it at all. Truth is even the more frequent fighters don't fight so much that it really factors much in a game to game kind of way. A consistent hitting game brings a bit more value though it might also create a fight situation now and then.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

He's played LW, C and RW over the last 4 years. He's pretty comfortable in any spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad