Waived: Adam Cracknell (claimed by EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Cracknell isn't a core piece by any stretch but when DD is still on the roster it just screams of asset mismanagement. Just like Corrado.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Would of liked to see us get a 6th rounder for him or something, he's a good 5c for a playoff bound team

Hopefully we're not still talking about Cracknell come 3 PM

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The one actual mentor is gone! He'll do some solid mentoring in Edmonton. Would take him over Dorsett any day of the week.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Don't really care about Cracknell. Kinda happy he's gone to be honest.

Why is that? He's a solid 4th liner that is paid accordingly. Seems like a good guy too. Surprised we couldn't get a pick for him (well not really surprised at this point, you know what I mean).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Glad that we lost our best and cheapest 4th liner for nothing and no real reason that I can see. Solid.

Yeah, it's not a huge thing but it seems pretty bungled.

I thought he should have been a guy we got a pick for, and sure enough there was interest and he didn't make it past team with a waiver claim.

I'm not sure what they were trying to do, but I'm pretty sure it didn't work and we lost a useful player for nothing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Eh, he played fine in a limited role. No loss, but wish him well.

I'm sure we tried to get a pick for him, don't see why people are upset we didn't get one. He was very publicly available.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Why is that? He's a solid 4th liner that is paid accordingly. Seems like a good guy too. Surprised we couldn't get a pick for him (well not really surprised at this point, you know what I mean).

Another one of those bad hockey players I don't want on this team.

Left to purge:

Derek Dorsett
Markus Granlund
Brandon Sutter
Alex Burrows
Linden Vey
Luca Sbisa
Yannick Weber
Matt Bartkowski
Chris Higgins
Ryan Miller

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Cracknell is one of the only bargain, good value deals Benning has managed to stumble upon. And now that's gone for nothing, and we still have 5 times more expensive yet worse 4th liner in the roster for the next 3 years.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Eh, he played fine in a limited role. No loss, but wish him well.

I'm sure we tried to get a pick for him, don't see why people are upset we didn't get one. He was very publicly available.

Just the typicals complaining about all things Benning. It's too bad we lost him but I totally see Benning's hope he would have slipped through for the Comets push. No big loss, good player for us in his role, but ultimately a UFA in a losing season with almost zero chance of returning.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Waiving Cracknell at least helps the tank. He's more likely to score than Dorsett.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Another one of those bad hockey players I don't want on this team.

Left to purge:

Derek Dorsett
Markus Granlund
Brandon Sutter
Alex Burrows
Linden Vey
Luca Sbisa
Yannick Weber
Matt Bartkowski
Chris Higgins
Ryan Miller

Cracknell wasn't a 'bad player' at all.

He was very solid for us this year - good production relative to icetime, physical without taking penalties, and was probably our best 4th line player. Only reason he wasn't in the lineup every night was to give icetime to a kid who should be in junior or Benning/Willie pets.

Ideal cheap 12-13th forward and I would have had no problem at all bringing him back.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Still don't really understand why they made this move. Even if it was just trying to load up the Farm for some kind of run...didn't really seem necessary to move Cracknell down. :dunno:

Sucks that we lost him for a fairly stupid reason. But that's also one less "veteran" to take minutes and games from the younger players. Which is presumably what the last lump of the season is going to be all about. And he's a UFA at years end if he wants to come back, and if we want him back next year.

The fact the Oilers claimed him doesn't somehow indicate that he had "value", that teams would actually trade a pick for. The Oilers aren't in a mode to be trading any picks at all for expiring contracts this year. They weren't gonna throw us a pick for Cracknell. And the fact the Oilers think there might be a bit of room for Cracknell on their roster for free, doesn't mean better, playoff bound teams thought the same and would be willing to cough up a pick for him.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I hope Edmonton turns around and trades him for a late pick this morning.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Well......

Not surprised.

Nothing these guys do would surprise me at this point of time.

Bye Crackalicious. Will put away your file next to Santo and Kass.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Will miss ya crackers u were a good 4th liner and had a good time in nyc with jake and the boyz :laugh:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Dorsett, Sbisa both would have cleared. No one would take those performers at those contracts.

And if they did we would owe them a favour.

Again, wasted asset. Is it a big deal - yes and no.

Hockey is (yeah truism) a competitive game. I've seen countless teams where, when they are missing their top player, lose to a team they have consistently beaten. When their weakest player is missing, I have seen them win games against teams they usually lose to. If all your players except one stack up against the other team, that one mis-match makes a tremendous difference in the course of a game, particularly without careful bench management and line matching.

Does one minor loss of value matter? Only against teams that you are closely matched against.

Does minor loss of value matter when it is on virtually all your moves? I believe so, and the Canucks record this year seems to bear that out, combined with a lack of cap space, and dearth of picks compared to a team like TO.

To make it even worse, as Ozone has pointed out, no one will give Benning full value in a trade given his m.o.

So yeah, every 5th round pick given away does matter - it not only adds up, it multiplies.

And I don't have time to go into overpaying fringe players, and the message that sends to those who perform better and get rewarded worse. Watching Biega vs Sbisa last nite was painful. Hammer got a star last nite? Well he deserved it - I don't think it was a coincidence his partner was Biega.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What evidence do you have that any team was willing to trade a pick for Cracknell? This is just ridiculous.

Edmonton claimed him because they suck and barely have an AHL team, that's why they're first. We can't even know the playoff teams would have claimed him, let alone traded for him!
We dont care if theyre playoff teams or not. We care about getting any pick from any team for him.

Instead of nothing. Again.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Dorsett, Sbisa both would have cleared. No one would take those performers at those contracts.

And if they did we would owe them a favour.

Again, wasted asset. Is it a big deal - yes and no.

Hockey is (yeah truism) a competitive game. I've seen countless teams where, when they are missing their top player, lose to a team they have consistently beaten. When their weakest player is missing, I have seen them win games against teams they usually lose to. If all your players except one stack up against the other team, that one mis-match makes a tremendous difference in the course of a game, particularly without careful bench management and line matching.

Does one minor loss of value matter? Only against teams that you are closely matched against.

Does minor loss of value matter when it is on virtually all your moves? I believe so, and the Canucks record this year seems to bear that out, combined with a lack of cap space, and dearth of picks compared to a team like TO.

To make it even worse, as Ozone has pointed out, no one will give Benning full value in a trade given his m.o.

So yeah, every 5th round pick given away does matter - it not only adds up, it multiplies.

And I don't have time to go into overpaying fringe players, and the message that sends to those who perform better and get rewarded worse. Watching Biega vs Sbisa last nite was painful. Hammer got a star last nite? Well he deserved it - I don't think it was a coincidence his partner was Biega.

Sbisa would be claimed asap by the first team guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce