Votes: 0 0.0%

• 50+ points below average D

• Total voters

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
I dunno. Really couldn't tell ya. Is he Klingberg or Honka? Montour or Clendening? Cause he could really swing either way.

I wanted Kravstov or Wahlstrom so I personally couldn't care less about Boqvist. I've got nothing invested in him. I'd rather move him for more of a sure thing.

Really unless he's Klingberg I have no interest in him being on this team.
So are you not a Blackhawks fan then? Like you're only a fan of the players you like that happen to play for or get drafted by the Blackhawks?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So are you not a Blackhawks fan then? Like you're only a fan of the players you like that happen to play for or get drafted by the Blackhawks?
I'm a Hawks fan, but I'm not supposed to like everyone on the team by default of being a fan. So yes I only like the players on the team that I like. Seems weird to universally love everyone solely because they're a Hawk. Were you a fan of Manning?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Not tying to dump on you, but how are you able to confidently say Boqvist won’t reach his ceiling, but Mitchell will reach his?

Like what specifically are you seeing in each of these guys’ respective games which allows you to make each of those calls?
Boqvist has a lot of uncertainty around him. He had a good season in the OHL, but not great. There's still a lot of work for him to do defensively and even the offense could be better. I think a lot hinges on what he does next season. I'd be very concerned if he were to go back to the OHL. Going to Rockford is the next logical step forward and we'll see how things progress from there. As it stands, I still see a lot of risk and I think he could take a while to find his footing.

Ian Mitchell on the other hand is ready for the NHL right now. Kelley and Eaton have said as much too. We'll see him at the end of the season for the playoff run and you'll what I mean then. Mitchell doesn't have the uncertainty that Boqvist has. He plays with more confidence, he sees the ice better, he's more responsible in his own end and in transition, he does a better job with gap control, faking out opponents, edge work, better slap shot from the point, he's stronger. I feel safe when Mitchell is on the ice, and I worry when Boqvist is out.

By the time Mitchell is an NHL fixture, Boqvist will still be struggling to figure things out for a while. That to me is not impressive when I'm comparing a 57th overall pick to an 8th overall pick.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Ian Mitchell on the other hand is ready for the NHL right now. Kelley and Eaton have said as much too. We'll see him at the end of the season for the playoff run and you'll what I mean then. Mitchell doesn't have the uncertainty that Boqvist has. He plays with more confidence, he sees the ice better, he's more responsible in his own end and in transition, he does a better job with gap control, faking out opponents, edge work, better slap shot from the point, he's stronger.

By the time Mitchell is an NHL fixture, Boqvist will still be struggling to figure things out for a while. That to me is not impressive when I'm comparing a 57th overall pick to an 8th overall pick.

Not even close.

And as far as the second paragraph one guy will be 21 during his season and the other 19. I would hope the older guy "figures things out" first. But hey... at this point, I'm just hoping the kid signs since you know.. Boqvist is actually locked up on an ELC with us.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Not even close.

And as far as the second paragraph one guy will be 21 during his season and the other 19. I would hope the older guy "figures things out" first. But hey... at this point, I'm just hoping the kid signs since you know.. Boqvist is actually locked up on an ELC with us.
My point is that he will likely progress slower than Mitchell. Boqvist might not figure things out til he's maybe 22 or later. For an 8th overall pick, that's not what you want to see.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
My point is that he will likely progress slower than Mitchell. Boqvist might not figure things out til he's maybe 22 or later. For an 8th overall pick, that's not what you want to see.

Eh... defensemen are weird when it comes to developing (not goalie weird but... you get the picture). I remember people calling Victor Hedman a bust because it took him a few years to "figure it out". Not every top pick defensemen coming into the NHL is Drew Doughty.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Boqvist has a lot of uncertainty around him. He had a good season in the OHL, but not great. There's still a lot of work for him to do defensively and even the offense could be better. I think a lot hinges on what he does next season. I'd be very concerned if he were to go back to the OHL. Going to Rockford is the next logical step forward and we'll see how things progress from there. As it stands, I still see a lot of risk and I think he could take a while to find his footing.

Ian Mitchell on the other hand is ready for the NHL right now. Kelley and Eaton have said as much too. We'll see him at the end of the season for the playoff run and you'll what I mean then. Mitchell doesn't have the uncertainty that Boqvist has. He plays with more confidence, he sees the ice better, he's more responsible in his own end and in transition, he does a better job with gap control, faking out opponents, edge work, better slap shot from the point, he's stronger. I feel safe when Mitchell is on the ice, and I worry when Boqvist is out.

Boqvist is elite when it comes to his dekes and body feints... which require amazing edge work.

I can also say Boqvist also plays with more confidence. Against his own age, I would say he played poised/confident to a fault at times. That is probably why you would worry more about him than Mitchell. He takes more risks right now. That also ends in him being a generally better puck mover and better offensive contributor.

I love Mitchell, for what that is worth. He doesn’t sniff the level that Boqvist can play at.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Boqvist is elite when it comes to his dekes and body feints... which require amazing edge work.

I can also say Boqvist also plays with more confidence. Against his own age, I would say he played poised/confident to a fault at times. That is probably why you would worry more about him than Mitchell. He takes more risks right now. That also ends in him being a generally better puck mover and better offensive contributor.

I love Mitchell, for what that is worth. He doesn’t sniff the level that Boqvist can play at.

Here is a single minute of video on him that can show you the above:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Highest ceiling would be 60+ pts and average D.
Don't see him hitting it, but 50-60 with average D would be one hell of a player.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
why must these highlight videos always have godawful music over them? what's wrong with having just the announcers?

I agree.. I just picked one that very succinctly shows his edge work and escape ability and carrying the play.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
I dunno. Really couldn't tell ya. Is he Klingberg or Honka? Montour or Clendening? Cause he could really swing either way.

I wanted Kravstov or Wahlstrom so I personally couldn't care less about Boqvist. I've got nothing invested in him. I'd rather move him for more of a sure thing.

I found this in the Urban Dictionary:

DIRTY MUSTO

TOP DEFINITION
Dirty Musto Post

When volume posting cannot overcome an individual post that is compelling stupid and arrogant at the same time.

After having posted about Boqvist, the man came back with a slew of Dirty Musto's to no avail.
by Fiddy August 20, 2018

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I also wanted Kravtsov, but I think Boqvist really has to show me something this year, I want him to be more dynamic and defend better as well

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Really unless he's Klingberg I have no interest in him being on this team.
You couldn't care less about Boqvist because he wasn't who you wanted at the time? Isn't him being a Hawk enough reason?

Broberg wasn't my first choice for the 8th pick this year, but I still hope to hell he succeeds.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You couldn't care less about Boqvist because he wasn't who you wanted at the time? Isn't him being a Hawk enough reason?

Broberg wasn't my first choice for the 8th pick this year, but I still hope to hell he succeeds.
No. If I don't like a player, I'm not gonna start liking him just because he's a Hawk.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
I'm a Hawks fan, but I'm not supposed to like everyone on the team by default of being a fan. So yes I only like the players on the team that I like. Seems weird to universally love everyone solely because they're a Hawk. Were you a fan of Manning?
Manning had one fan on this board lol. Manning is totally different than Boqvist... Boqvist is a top ten pick with the potential to be a really good/maybe elite player if everything goes well. It seems weird to me when you say you couldn't care less about that kind of player because you preferred a couple other prospects in that spot. It almost seems to me when you say that it means you would prefer he busts so you could say you were right. You don't have to love every player the Hawks pick or trade for but when they invest a top ten pick in a guy it would be normal to at least hope he turns into a good player.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Even if he exceeds your expectations and becomes a #1D? You still won't like him because you weren't high on him as a prospect?
That's a different story. If he becomes John Klingberg, great. I just don't see that happening. That's his ceiling and I don't think he hits it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad