Active Swedish hockey player that has bigger presence than Ibrahimovic in Sweden?

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Woah, slow down here. MMA still mostly interests males and those under 40, but the fans are extremely rabid and loud. If you used sportbladet, twitter, flashback and such parameters they will probably lead you to believe that Gustafsson is one of Sweden's most recognized athletes already. But those places attract said age groups and gender, where Gustafsson reigns supreme. For the better part of the rest, he's not yet a household name. His fights have limited availability and they're on obscure times. That slims his presence down effectively. Case in point: Idrottsgalan.

But it's true that Lidström isn't the most famous hockey player we ever had, certainly not the measuring stick anyway. 2006 Olympics etched him into the Swedish hearts though. Henrik Lundqvist is far more recognizable and exposed in media however, for one.

The best question to ask yourself is probably, does my not-as-sports-interested mother know who Zlatan is? Hell yes. Charlotte Kalla is? Yes. Henrik Lundqvist? Yes. Nick Lidström is? Probably. Alex Gustafsson is? Probably not. That's what 'presence' is about.

I can tell you this much my mom would only know who Zlatan is with this people you just brought up.

But like i said... i bet there is only two swedish hockeyplayers that is abov him now, and that is Peter Forsberg and Mats Sundin and just maybe Henrik Lundqvist.

I think you overrate Idrottsgalan tbh:laugh: when people like Malin Bayard is nominated.

Last edited:

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
She's more well known than most hockey players though.

Yeah but i wouldent regonize her on the street if i saw her and thats for sure!

But i for sure would regonize Peter Forsberg,Mats Sundin, Henrik Lundqvist, Henrik Zetterberg, Sedin brothers... but i'm not so sure i would regonize Nicklas Lidström and Marcus Näslund.

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
Woah, slow down here. MMA still mostly interests males and those under 40, but the fans are extremely rabid and loud. If you used sportbladet, twitter, flashback and such parameters they will probably lead you to believe that Gustafsson is one of Sweden's most recognized athletes already. But those places attract said age groups and gender, where Gustafsson reigns supreme. For the better part of the rest, he's not yet a household name.

F! anybody?

Non-hockey fans would probably only know Foppa, Sundin and maybe Henke. Lidström was never a househould name in Sweden because he always played in North America. I think non-sports fans and people over 40 are probably not going to know either Lidström or Gustafsson, atleast not before knowing some Skiier or Olympic female swimmers.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
The best question to ask yourself is probably, does my not-as-sports-interested mother know who Zlatan is? Hell yes. Charlotte Kalla is? Yes. Henrik Lundqvist? Yes. Nick Lidström is? Probably. Alex Gustafsson is? Probably not. That's what 'presence' is about.
This.
My not-as-sports-interested mother knew Forsberg, Sundin, Lidström and Lundqvist as they had a big presence in the national team. Just like she knew Zlatan, Larsson, Ljungberg, Svensson and the likes.
Can you win olympic medals in MMA? Because that's what it would take for this Gustafsson to become as famous as these other guys.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Would a non-interested sports mother know who he was if her sports interested family didn't explain who he was?

If she watches morning programming (Gomorron Sverige/Nyhetsmorgon) she probably does. Lidström was a popular guest and interview on both in the later years of his career and after his retirement.

I think you overrate Idrottsgalan tbh:laugh: when people like Malin Bayard is nominated.

Idrottsgalan is a good way to gauge who Mr. and Mrs. Svensson like.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
This.
My not-as-sports-interested mother knew Forsberg, Sundin, Lidström and Lundqvist as they had a big presence in the national team. Just like she knew Zlatan, Larsson, Ljungberg, Svensson and the likes.
Can you win olympic medals in MMA? Because that's what it would take for this Gustafsson to become as famous as these other guys.

Becom lhw champion in the UFC is bigger than winning the Olympic tbh:laugh: and there is no mma in the olympic so its kinda hard to win it... and beside if you do combat sports you arent allowed to practis in the olympic if you are pro.

and my experiences says something els... only Zlatan,Forsberg and Sundin have i heard is more known than Gustafsson...

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Becom lhw champion in the UFC is bigger than winning the Olympic tbh:laugh: and there is no mma in the olympic so its kinda hard to win it... and beside if you do combat sports you arent allowed to practis in the olympic if you are pro.

and my experiences says something els... only Zlatan,Forsberg and Sundin have i heard is more known than Gustafsson...

That can be discussed.

I don't think that MMA has got enough respect from the majority of the Swedish population for being seen as something bigger than the Olympics. Wait a few years, and the day a Swede is becomming a champion at UFC leven will be big enough to call it even with winning the most prestigious Olympic gold medal from a Swedish athlete perspective!

The reason for this is because the Olympics is every 2nd year (Summer+Winter), and Sweden barely get any medal during the Summer Olympics :laugh:

The best option would be to put MMA in the Olympics! Damn, it would be nice :handclap:

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
That can be discussed.

I don't think that MMA has got enough respect from the majority of the Swedish population for being seen as something bigger than the Olympics. Wait a few years, and the day a Swede is becomming a champion at UFC leven will be big enough to call it even with winning the most prestigious Olympic gold medal from a Swedish athlete perspective!

The reason for this is because the Olympics is every 2nd year (Summer+Winter), and Sweden barely get any medal during the Summer Olympics :laugh:

The best option would be to put MMA in the Olympics! Damn, it would be nice :handclap:

Okay fair enough! :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad