Active Swedish hockey player that has bigger presence than Ibrahimovic in Sweden?

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Was reading from some posters on here that Fútbol is still bigger than ice hockey in Sweden. And that's why there isn't enough depth on the national squad.

So is there a current Swedish hockey player that has a bigger presence than Ibra in Sweden?
I would presume at least the likes of Sundin and Foppa would trump Ibra on the popularity scale.

Would there be a higher demand in tickets for a PSG exhibition match versus a regular season NHL franchise game?

article-2529215-1A42BB6E00000578-99_634x392.jpg

nwaZ*

No one is close to Zlatan in terms of spotlight in the media. Especially among the younger generations he's uberpopular.

Patchy

Jan 6, 2011
How does he compare to the height of Forsberg's dominance?

The whole Zlatan-thing has blown up enormously over the last few years. Maybe my memory fails but I'd say it was pretty even up until a couple of years ago. Up until he went to Barcelona maybe? Right now there's no comparison. The media keeps forcing thousands of articles on him every day. He's enormous and on a level that a hockey player can't reach in a country that isn't Finland or Canada.

There is no active player that comes close to Forsberg's popularity. But Henrik Lundqvist is probably the one that comes closest.

Funny thing. I thought the Sedin's popularity would rise after bringing home the World Championship in 2013 but then there was a poll on the favoriets athlethes and they didn't even make the top 20. Alexander Steen was even more popular (probably because he played in Modo for 20 games).

BigBush*

I don't really follow football. Where does Zlatan rank amongst the top players right now?

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

This is probably more iconic by now than any Swedish hockey moment.

Sadly hockey is and will remain a niche (countryside) sport compared to football in Sweden, barring in Olympic tournaments.

Sher-Wood

May 12, 2003
Sweden
Zlatan who? Well in the media he is the golden boy because the media in Stockholm is all about soccer and Zlatan is good at it and a immigrant from a southern culture. All falls into place and very political correct. Personally I HATE soccer and all about it. It's a terrible game, the players dives all the time and all journalists and all the other fools love it. I cheered my lungs out when Sweden missed the world cup for the sole reason that the media would've gone totally crazy with this terrible sport.

Tostito Rangers

Jan 27, 2012
Arlington, MA
Was reading from some posters on here that Fútbol is still bigger than ice hockey in Sweden. And that's why there isn't enough depth on the national squad.

So is there a current Swedish hockey player that has a bigger presence than Ibra in Sweden?
I would presume at least the likes of Sundin and Foppa would trump Ibra on the popularity scale.

Would there be a higher demand in tickets for a PSG exhibition match versus a regular season NHL franchise game?

Considering Zlatan just had a hattrick, and it is demoted to the fringe of the sporting section in Swedish newspapers, I would say that Backstrom has a much bigger presence in Sweden...

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Zlatan who? Well in the media he is the golden boy because the media i Stockholm is all about soccer and Zlatan is good at it and and a immigrant from southern culture. All falls into place and very political correct. Personally I HATE soccer and all about it. It's a terrible game, the players dives all the time and all journalists and all the other fools love it. I cheered my lungs out when Sweden missed the world cup for the sole reason that the media would've gone totally crazy with this terrible sport.

You are a bitter little man, aren't you?

eboeng

Mar 24, 2013

This is probably more iconic by now than any Swedish hockey moment.

Nah, that goal is from a scrimmage. He has a few goals that are more iconic. 1-1 goal against italy in Euro 2004 comes to mind.

Forsbergs penalty shot against Canada in 1994 is a more iconic moment then any of Zlatans goals for Sweden. All comes down to what type of game it is.

Toffu

Jan 31, 2014
No, there is no hockey player who is more popular than Zlatan.

You can love it or hate it, but football is number one sport in Sweden if you count generally all regions of country.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Zlatan is arguably the best football forward in the whole world and extremely flamboyant person. Absolutely nothing in swedish Hockey comes close.

I think you'd have to combine Selänne from Finland, Forsberg and Karlsson so you'd be close.

Toffu

Jan 31, 2014
I think you'd have to combine Selänne from Finland, Forsberg and Karlsson so you'd be close.

And still not even close.;) We had this threads in the past. Yeah, a lot of people who read this thread would probably want that hockey is number one sport, but thats not reality.

Zlatan's character is not the epitome of the average Swede, so this story about his success is even more popular.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Zlatan who? Well in the media he is the golden boy because the media in Stockholm is all about soccer and Zlatan is good at it and a immigrant from a southern culture. All falls into place and very political correct. Personally I HATE soccer and all about it. It's a terrible game, the players dives all the time and all journalists and all the other fools love it. I cheered my lungs out when Sweden missed the world cup for the sole reason that the media would've gone totally crazy with this terrible sport.

Zlatan was born in Sweden. He's not an immigrant. As if that has anything to do with it, anyway.

As for the OP's question: no. There has never been a hockey player anywhere close to Zlatan's popularity in Sweden. There hasn't been much of anything close to Zlatan's popularity in Sweden. He's ABBA and IKEA big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad