Active Swedish hockey player that has bigger presence than Ibrahimovic in Sweden?

Toffu

Jan 31, 2014
What difference? Tell me more, i have a feeling that you can say so much, but you actually say just a few words, why?

"Regular" place :laugh: Ever been in Rosengård?

Its nice to discuss with Jimmie Ã…kesson fan on hfboards. :handclap:

Toffu

Jan 31, 2014
Is an ethnicity or nation.

Is a country or a landmass.

Is a swedish citizen. He is also a football player who refuses to sing the national anthem.

HTH

Don't cut out my posts..

So, if he dont want to sing national anthem, that the indicator for what?

He is not "so swedish" for some guy from maybe.... Örnsköldsvik? Aaaand.. is that place "enough swedish"?

Its the question for Patchy, he said that there is a difference.

Patchy

Jan 6, 2011
What difference? Tell me more, i have a feeling that you can say so much, but you actually say just a few words, why?

Nah let's just put it this way. I have a friend who grew up in the north. I have a friend who grew up in the suburbs in the south. One claims he doesn't consider himself Swedish and has a friend circle where 90% consists of people with immigrant background. Another doesn't. Where I'm getting at with this? Just pointing out the contrasts that exist and that you too know exists.

But oh yeah. I forgot. Having an opinion on the immigration in this country means you're a racist.

Sher-Wood

May 12, 2003
Sweden

Not my question, but you know there is over 150 different nationalities/cultures in Rosengård? There is nothing regular about Rosengård. The only swedish about that place is the land it sits on.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Volvo makes decent cars. I'm sure Zlatan is satisfied with his economic compensation for that commercial. Did you have a point with posting the video or do you just like Volvos?
Maybe "He might not be the singing type, but he can recite it." How about you, was there a point with writing that he doesn't sing the national anthem?"

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Zlatan who? Well in the media he is the golden boy because the media in Stockholm is all about soccer and Zlatan is good at it and a immigrant from a southern culture. All falls into place and very political correct. Personally I HATE soccer and all about it. It's a terrible game, the players dives all the time and all journalists and all the other fools love it. I cheered my lungs out when Sweden missed the world cup for the sole reason that the media would've gone totally crazy with this terrible sport.

His father is Bosniak and his mother is Kroat. He has or had dual citizenships and his first choice was to play for Bosnia but they denied him and so the swedish team picked him up instead.

Sure he is good as far as a soccer player goes but much of his greatness is the media hype you got to admit. Zlatan is popular but not among as many as you like to think as he is also considered a diva that goes over the top with foul play and obscure gestures. I got nothing aginst him really but I'm not a soccer fan and I'm sick of the hype.

Do you have a point, anywhere?

The question was not if Zlatan is an ethnic Swede or not. The question was not if 100% of the swedish population loves him like a god.

The question was if any swedish hockey player comes close to his popularity.
The answer is no, not even close.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Also isn't zlatan from serbia? my ex is serbian and she would go nuclear if anyone suggested otherwise (at first i thought he was arab due to "ibrahim":laugh:)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Also isn't zlatan from serbia? my ex is serbian and she would go nuclear if anyone suggested otherwise (at first i thought he was arab due to "ibrahim":laugh:)

His mother is croat and his father is a bosniak, Zlatan is born and raised in Sweden.

And no, there is no one in ice hockey that comes close to Ibrahimovic, not just Swedish hockey players. Biggest sport in the world and Zlatan is in the top 5.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Not my question, but you know there is over 150 different nationalities/cultures in Rosengård? There is nothing regular about Rosengård. The only swedish about that place is the land it sits on.

What if I told you that being swedish is more than köttbullar and midsommar?

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012
One of the few athletes who really deserves all the praise and attention he's getting.

Harks

Oct 27, 2010
Malmö

From yesterday :laugh:

This is also what contributes to his fame. Wouldn't see a hockey-player act like this.
-"Dump the puck".
-"Take the puck to the net".
-"Work hard"...and all the other clichés.

Maybe Karlsson could say something like this, but he comes of more cocky and "dryg" in his interviews.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't know about the rest of you but I remember the era of Borg and Stenmark and the fact is that the entire nation stopped in its tracks to see them compete.

There was a different level of media coverage of course at the time and if you count the news articles Zlatan obviously wins by a land slide. Zlatan is an amazing football player and is arguably the biggest football star we've had in Sweden although again I would suggest you to move back in time and read up on Gren, Nordahl and Liedholm (a bit before my time). It is not always remember but apart from their individual achievements they formed the first 'trinita' (later replicated by van Basten, Rijkaard and Gullit) in Milan and thanks to them Milan went from being basically a nothing club to become what they are today.

I live in Italy and the day after Liedholm passed away the biggest sports journal in the country (Gazzetta) was completely dedicated to his life and career.

For me Zlatan is right up there with Liedholm and Nordahl but he is not at the levels of Borg and Stenmark. I believe that he would need to captain the Swedish national team to at least a medal in the Euro or World Cup.

That said he is definitely ahead of all of our hockey stars.

Love Me Goaltender

May 26, 2013
Zlatan who? Well in the media he is the golden boy because the media in Stockholm is all about soccer and Zlatan is good at it and a immigrant from a southern culture. All falls into place and very political correct. Personally I HATE soccer and all about it. It's a terrible game, the players dives all the time and all journalists and all the other fools love it. I cheered my lungs out when Sweden missed the world cup for the sole reason that the media would've gone totally crazy with this terrible sport.

This is funny because there are lot of soccer fans in Finland hoping Finland to fail in every hockey tournament. A lot of them. Same reasons, media, hype, children choosing a popular sport as a hobby etc. And then there are hockey fans laughing at Finnish soccer NT and calling Finnish football "potkupallo" (kickball), compared to "real" football that is played overseas. It it a silly little war really between the most stupidest of each side :D Interesting to know, that there are some tensions between the two sports in Sweden too.

I like soccer more than ice hockey and I would LOVE it, if Finland had the same kind of football culture as Sweden. Besides, Sweden does better than Finland in hockey too, even though it's your second sport. Of course I support Finnish hockey NT too in best of best tournaments, but I couldn't care less about the so called hockey world championships and Finnish media hype involved with it. Different perspectives :)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

From yesterday :laugh:

This is also what contributes to his fame. Wouldn't see a hockey-player act like this.
-"Dump the puck".
-"Take the puck to the net".
-"Work hard"...and all the other clichés.

Maybe Karlsson could say something like this, but he comes of more cocky and "dryg" in his interviews.

Anyone else noticed Karlsson's loud "TACK DÃ…" after his viasat interviews? Thought that would become a thing.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I can't help thinking that as soon as Zlatan retires, hockey's going to become bigger in Sweden again.

I really don't think football and hockey take that much interest from each other in the big picture. Both are standouts above everything else. If you mean that our national team will start to suck and therefore reduce the interest, it's possible. Our younger age groups are really good though, similar to hockey.

But let's not pretend hockey's considered a second rate sport right now either, there's always a massive % of the population watching the national team play.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
I bet this guy is more famous in Sweden then Lidström is
800px-Alexander_Gustafsson_Sept20th2013.jpg

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I bet this guy is more famous in Sweden then Lidström is
800px-Alexander_Gustafsson_Sept20th2013.jpg

Not yet, but he will be.

For a hockey player to be as famous/loved as Zlatan is in Sweden, they'd first have to move NHL to Europe, and the swedish player had to be a guy who broke all of Gretzkys records, and be considered the best player ever, then we could talk. Until that happens no hockey player will ever be even slightly close.

I would presume at least the likes of Sundin and Foppa would trump Ibra on the popularity scale.

Compared to Ibrahimovic, it's more like "Sundin who?"

Would there be a higher demand in tickets for a PSG exhibition match versus a regular season NHL franchise game?

Easily. Not even a discussion about it. The NHL opening games in Sweden gets very little attention, and as far as I remember the last 2 times they were held in Sweden they were not close to being sold out, while a PSG game in Sweden would sell very very fast.

Fact is, it's very hard to get superstar status in Sweden as a hockey player. It wasn't until last year Erik Karlsson was a name in Sweden.

Last edited:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Karlsson stepping up and carrying the team in the olympic final could have taken him to the next tier which would still be like 3 tiers below zlatan.
I can't see anyone beating a top5 in world football player. The equivalent talent in hockey would be by far the best player ever if we're comparing competition. About 1.5 million hockey players against like 270 million registered football players. And those numbers are from a while back.
It's just not a fair question.

Lidstrom55

Mar 24, 2014
First of all the OP asked biggest in Sweden. So lets focus on that. And for the answer its not even close between any hockey player and Zlatan..

Hockey might be a popular sport in Sweden but hockey players aren´t. It would be better to compare Ferry or some other skier if you wanted to get someone who is famous. And that isn´t close either..

But someone here said that Zlatan is much bigger than Stenmark and that person I can GUARANTEE did not see Stenmark! In regards to articles Zlatan might win but if you would take percentage wise of media coverage then Stenmark would own Zlatan! Ask any 40 year old in Sweden who was bigger in their prime and all will say Stenmark. Except those 40 year old that still hang around in the stand up section at Malmö FF home games.. But if we count hardcore fans I could name quite alot of players that would rank Annika Sörenstam or lets say Ferry as bigger than Zlatan.. (But have to say what Sörenstam has achieved should have made her alot more famous than she is, its alot more impressive than what Zlatan or Forsberg has achieved)

They actually shut down stores, factories and schools when Stenmark competed when has that happened for Zlatan? Enough said!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad