Post-Game Talk: Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
you guys are great. faced with the facts. 10 of 11 and 14 of 17 you guys double down.
so, to start the post game talk after each caps win from here til their last playoff game we can start with talking about mcphee needing to be fired. the caps just win 5-0, yea but mcphee should be fired now. the caps sweep their first round series.....yea, but.....mcphee.

hey maybe we can string up mcphee and hang him at the same moment the stanley cup banner is being raised.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Erskine is the closest thing to a monster on defense, and a monster he was last night. Even in the waning seconds of the game, there he was squashing the last few whimpers of the grounded jets.

Rouse, was that you last night picking the 3 stars? Hendricks, Chimera Erskine, really? I am flashing back to times when Langway and other players would get stars without scoring.

What is our record with Oleksy in the lineup, and Erskine; and both in at the same time?

Yes that Oleksy Hillen pairing will be on for goals against in the playoffs. As a small pairing, they will be targeted. Oates does not seem to shelter his bottom pair, and sure enough they are ending up on the ice for goals for, offsetting any negative. If Oates does not worry, you should not either.

Alzner and Green will give up goals as well. Its hockey, they all will. Get worried if they enter the dreaded Wideman Schultz zone.

Haha its good to see those guys get rewarded and recognized. All of them played a hardnosed game.

Erskine is a monster on D. But I am sure the detractors are still convinced, despite his play this year, that he is not currently a top 4 defender.

Hillen and Oleksy tandem does have its flaws as you pointed out but they are both gamers and compete every shift. I have utter confidence in them as Oates does. They seem to make up for mistakes game in and game out.

I too am VERY interested about our record with both Oleksy and Erskine in the lineup.

Even if its good I'm sure there are a large contingent of Hators playing playoff fantasy hockey right now and penciling in Orlov and Kundratek in lieu of them.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Kundratek is the one I would like to see playing right now. Get him into the next two games so he's more used to NHL speed if he's needed in the playoffs.

Problem with that, is Hillen and Kundratek play the same role opposite Olesky. The puck moving "little guy".

Orlov would make more sense to replace Olesky, if anyone.

Olesky does worry me for the playoffs. A lot. One extra gaff, leads to one extra goal, leads to one extra game loss, leads to one series dump. Laugh all you want, as Caps fans, we've all seen it happen.

However, not sure Orlov is the greater of these evils. Olesky will certainly start game 1, he's been a part of the surge. Will see what happens after that....we lose game 1 in our barn, whomever the opponent, and LMFAO comes out "everybodies shufflin, shufflin".

OVs Gold Chain*

Erskine may have gotten the standard McPhee good soldier contract, but he's doing everything he can to earn it. The crucial blocked shots aside, he brings grit that is noticeable as soon as he hits the ice.. all of a sudden opposing forwards are hesitant on the forecheck or to get in front of the net.

Still think this team is a shut-down D (pls return to form Karl) away from being a serious cup contender but I'm excited to see what they can do in the playoffs.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
you guys are great. faced with the facts. 10 of 11 and 14 of 17 you guys double down.
so, to start the post game talk after each caps win from here til their last playoff game we can start with talking about mcphee needing to be fired. the caps just win 5-0, yea but mcphee should be fired now. the caps sweep their first round series.....yea, but.....mcphee.

hey maybe we can string up mcphee and hang him at the same moment the stanley cup banner is being raised.

What are you talking about? Who is saying McPhee whould be fired after that game? You are just making stuff up.

Once the Caps lose, and the season ends, then I will be back on the fire McPhee bandwagon (and will probably do it for superstitious reasons after any game they lose, honestly).

Everyone sees the real you here (to quote a Who song). Nothing has changed for George, for those that see his issues. But we are in the playoffs, so lets enjoy what unfolds....until we dont (lose)

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON

Call me when it happens

mqdefault.jpg

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Oleksy in the lineup Caps are 18-8 assuming he has missed no games since 3/5-4/23

That's all I got.

Yeah I suck at digging up stats like that.

I'm sure our record with or without Erskine is even more telling. The product on the ice certainly is.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yeah I suck at digging up stats like that.

I'm sure our record with or without Erskine is even more telling. The product on the ice certainly is.

Meh, I don't think either one particularly telling. They just happen to coincide with Ovie heating up.

I posted it yesterday, but the Caps' record in games where Ovie scores a goal is 19-3-1. Doesn't get more telling than that.

This turnaround has hinged almost completely on his play. Oates definitely gets a lot of credit for that.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Meh, I don't think either one particularly telling. They just happen to coincide with Ovie heating up.

I posted it yesterday, but the Caps' record in games where Ovie scores a goal is 19-3-1. Doesn't get more telling than that.

This turnaround has hinged almost completely on his play. Oates definitely gets a lot of credit for that.

Random...in those 3 games we lost when Ovi scored...did Erskine play in any? I'm pretty sure Ovi scored in two games vs the Pens at least and for neither did we have Erskine....

I notice we get pushed around quite often without #4.

I remember he came back to the lineup..we strung a few wins together..he got hurt early in a game vs the Isles. We got crushed. We lost a few games in a row after that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Random...in those 3 games we lost when Ovi scored...did Erskine play in any? I'm pretty sure Ovi scored in two games vs the Pens at least and for neither did we have Erskine....

I notice we get pushed around quite often without #4.

I remember he came back to the lineup..we strung a few wins together..he got hurt early in a game vs the Isles. We got crushed. We lost a few games in a row after that.

you and your Erskine love. Its getting a little over the top. Rod Langway and Scott Stevens, he is not.

I'm glad he's on the team, I like him. But you need to tone down the hyberbole on him a tad man. You ask me to tone down the Fire George hyperbole, I'm asking you to tone down the Erskine is God hyperbole.

Deal?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
you and your Erskine love. Its getting a little over the top. Rod Langway and Scott Stevens, he is not.

I'm glad he's on the team, I like him. But you need to tone down the hyberbole on him a tad man. You ask me to tone down the Fire George hyperbole, I'm asking you to tone down the Erskine is God hyperbole.

Deal?

Hell NO!

Erskine is the man!! ADMIT IT!! hahahaha

All I see is him crushing fools and intimidating the opposition. His skating and stickhandling have gotten better and he rarely makes mistakes anymore.

You do your FIRE GEORGE thing and I'll do my Erskine Mancrush thing. :nod:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
caps have 3 loses and 1 otl where ov scored a goal. erskine played in the first one v toronto and none of the other three...two of which were v pittsburgh.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
caps have 3 loses and 1 otl where ov scored a goal. erskine played in the first one v toronto and none of the other three...two of which were v pittsburgh.

Good work TX.

Thats very interesting to me for obvious reasons.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
The Florida Panther moderator closed the thread about Washington clinching Southeast division title, obviously this moderator has no reason but hatred for closing that thread

I agree with him closing it. Unlike the Isles thread, where there were mostly congratulations, a lot of folks in the Caps thread were saying how we choke, how this team or that will beat us, etc.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
While Ovi driving the bus has had a huge hand in our closing out of the year, it wasn't like he wasn't trying before hand. He was getting his touches, PP time, ENG looks etc.

Fact remains toughness is a goal going forward and think Ovi likes to be have players around him that will defend him at all costs. What teammate does not, and don't you want him to have those as a fan?

Volpatti showed me a few decent offensive skills, a one timer and a little spin move in the slot last night. He gets a shiny new multi-year deal. Fehr is no goon but is no door knob either - and is retained as well.

Oleksy remains and has beat out Kundratek. Living proof of why players play through injuries, others literally steal their jobs.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Anyone remember this?

2m6tq1t.jpg

Here is to not having the Caps playoff run end this way. We need a playoff ending like this:

155mqds.jpg

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Fact remains toughness is a goal going forward and think Ovi likes to be have players around him that will defend him at all costs. What teammate does not, and don't you want him to have those as a fan?

"Brashear...Boar..mountain of muscles"

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No GMGM = No Oates = No Vintage Ovechkin

Idc if Forsberg turns into a great player, what Oates has done with Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green and co. has been awesome, and the reason why the Caps are legit once again.

Also, watching perreault's reaction after the ENG was awesome. Dude seems so funny, and everyone seems to love him. And he's playing great too.

Let's not pretend they were friends and that's what brought Oates to DC. If you remember, he shipped Oates out of town with some controversy when Oates played here.

That said, I think everyone is happy with the hiring today given the Ovechkin turnaround.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Look, I've turned on Schultz as much as the next guy, but I don't know if anyone truly believes that Schultz has had a noticeable impact on the team's record when he plays vs. sits. He doesn't drive the bus.

I've noticed a very strong correlation between Caps wins and the times when I start watching the DVR after 9. Coincidence? You decide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad