Post-Game Talk: Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
By that definition then just about every UFA acquired at the TDL in all the years I've seen has been a "horrible use of assets" by one team.

Not if the assets traded were garbage or draft picks were used poorly which you know happened a ton. See Jagr trade to Caps.

Our outbound asset (Eakin in this case) appears to be top notch.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
I think the point that Foy is making is that there's a difference between "need to cut salary" in order to construct the roster you want and being required by rule to cut salary to fit under the salary cap by the time the season starts.

This. If you are already committed to being over the cap in the offseason, teams will be hesitant to trade for a player you might be buying out in the next week or so anyways.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A guy like Schultz actually could have a huge influence on how the whole unit plays. He plays passive, so his partner is forced to also be conservative, and then it puts the forwards on their heels, as well. I absolutely believe that one guy who doesn't close down can tilt the whole ice against his unit. And if one unit of 5 gets caught on the defensive, that can give momentum to the whole opponents' team.

So simple 20% of 25% kind of estimate doesn't begin to describe what a passive player can do to a unit, IMO.

Actually, a guy like Ovi has always been guilty of it, as well. When the other team puts Ovi's line on the defensive, and Ovi is lazy to close guys down, it really helps the other team cycle in the Caps zone. Thankfully the players lining up against Ovi are usually more defensive minded, so they dont convert their chances very well and have to be wary of guarding against Caps' breakouts. But with Schultz, he kind of sucked at what is basically a d-man's bread and butter, and that was trouble.

Oh I absolutely agree that the percentage doesn't precisely quantify the actual measurable impact. It's just there for effect and to illustrate that it's not just about 1 guy in 20, it's about 1 guy in 5 AT THAT MOMENT. The actual impact in the wrong direction can be AS HUGE as the impact a player like Ovie can have in the other direction.

On a night where an Ovechkin or a hot goalie can carry the team, one bad player can torpedo you, too. A few bad shifts from the wrong guys and you're down 2 goals.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But But but...."we don't do rentals".....

That would be a horrible use of assets if he's going to let Ribs walk for nothing. I'm holding onto a sliver of hope that McPhee can't be THAT incompetent and they'll find a way to get the deal done.

what about it is horrible? eakin is a young center where if the caps were inclined to use a young player at center, they have johansson. he's a young player where the capitals wanted more veteran experience.

i dont see it has bad asset management. eakin was extra. if the caps had used eakin rather than ribeiro, they miss the playoffs.

you seem to be essentially saying that trading for a pending ufa at the deadline is only a good trade if you are sending nothing the other way.
mcphee has been pretty good at trading prospects that dont go anywhere for good players, but to expect that as an axiom is expecting a lot.

edit: what is your definition of "top notch"?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Top Notch top notch? I think of...

54960.jpg

The Caddy tourney scene. Cut my lawn.

Fehr was just on 106.7 and said Hillen and oleksy gets lots of minutes for a bottom pair, but are chipping in offensively :yo:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Redux, as the last thread is at 1000 (or so). For those following at home:

***updated***

So the conventional thought process coming into the season was teams needed 54 points or so to make the playoffs. (92 in 82games, 54 in 48games)

By that logic, Caps would need 0 points in their last 1 games. Do we really see this flawed team doing that?

0-1-0 would get 0pts. Think about that.

This team can only lose 4 or so more points this year in regulation to make the playoffs. If its 55 or 56 points to get there, then that becomes even harder.

Season is over guys.

Smoke a Cigar, George

Eh

1pt

Locked into 3rd seed.

5th overall in East

Meh game, but that was to be expected. In the end, it may have helped the Caps, and Ottawa has the inside track on the 6th seed, thus a potential matchup with Washington in 1st round.

I am happy to play them, thought the Isles are fine too. I'd rather not play the Rangers, honestly....

so...yeah

That said,

Better Win, George!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Eh

1pt

Locked into 3rd seed.

5th overall in East

Meh game, but that was to be expected. In the end, it may have helped the Caps, and Ottawa has the inside track on the 6th seed, thus a potential matchup with Washington in 1st round.

I am happy to play them, thought the Isles are fine too. I'd rather not play the Rangers, honestly....

so...yeah

That said,

Better Win, George!

I'm still hoping for the Leafs. But yeah, whoever you get, gotta win.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Caps fans, out of ALL fans, should know that regular season isn't always important when it comes to playoffs in terms of how you do against a team.

In all honesty I'm not worried about any team we can face.

Anderson has never won a playoff series. I remember with the Avs he played a decent one at first but quickly wore down. The Sens won't get that kind of beneficial officiating they have rec'd last night.

The Isles are young and smallish. We can and will intimidate them and grind them down. Nabokov has had a strong share of playoff Fail in the past. He's always been good in the regular season. Pete Peeters anyone?

The Rags are the best of the bunch but we got them too.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Have you been paying attention at all? The roles are RD and LD, based on handedness. Kundratek would replace Oleksy. Orlov would replace Hillen.

Remarks like this are uncalled for. Of course I have been paying attention, and bigger picture, this is why Olesky is with Hillen, and Orlov is with Kundratek.

My point stands. A pairing of Hillen and Kudratek wouldnt work, its too small, and too similar of players. Orlov does what Olesky does, so if we wanted that element on the squad, then we'd need Orlov/Kundratek to play, not Olesky/Hillen.

And for that matter. Dont tell me Oates would hold to this lefty/righty thing to the detriment of the big picture. Someone gets hurt, hes going to play best 6 Dmen, no matter who plays where in the playoffs.

Liberati0n*

Remarks like this are uncalled for. Of course I have been paying attention, and bigger picture, this is why Olesky is with Hillen, and Orlov is with Kundratek.

My point stands. A pairing of Hillen and Kudratek wouldnt work, its too small, and too similar of players. Orlov does what Olesky does, so if we wanted that element on the squad, then we'd need Orlov/Kundratek to play, not Olesky/Hillen.

And for that matter. Dont tell me Oates would hold to this lefty/righty thing to the detriment of the big picture. Someone gets hurt, hes going to play best 6 Dmen, no matter who plays where in the playoffs.

It was perfectly called for. You acted like I didn't know what I was talking about, and then showed you actually didn't. You can try to stretch the interpretation of your original post to accommodate my criticism, but it's clear you weren't thinking of handedness at all when you posted it. I don't have to tell you Oates would hold to it, because he has already shown that he is very likely to do so. He's only made exceptions when absolutely forced to -- that is, when there just weren't enough righties to put in the lineup.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It was perfectly called for. You acted like I didn't know what I was talking about, and then showed you actually didn't. You can try to stretch the interpretation of your original post to accommodate my criticism, but it's clear you weren't thinking of handedness at all when you posted it. I don't have to tell you Oates would hold to it, because he has already shown that he is very likely to do so. He's only made exceptions when absolutely forced to -- that is, when there just weren't enough righties to put in the lineup.

So sensitive. I didnt say you didnt know what you were talking about, I gave my opinion. Dont be a boob.

Ok, so when was the last time Oates put Hillen and Kundratek together? Any ideas?

How about never? As in "Not Ever" happened?

Sure, they will be playing together soon, I am sure you are right. First time for everything. (yes, now I am telling you that you dont know what you are talking about)

Liberati0n*

They weren't even on the team at the same time. Hillen was injured while Kundratek was getting most of his (Kundratek's) playing time. Once Green was healthy and Oleksy had established himself, Kundratek was sent down. Hillen getting healthy and claiming the 3LD spot has kept Schultz/Poti out of the lineup. RD and LD are two distinct positions on this team.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
They weren't even on the team at the same time. Hillen was injured while Kundratek was getting most of his (Kundratek's) playing time. Once Green was healthy and Oleksy had established himself, Kundratek was sent down. Hillen getting healthy and claiming the 3LD spot has kept Schultz/Poti out of the lineup. RD and LD are two distinct positions on this team.

be that as it may, they wont be paired together. They are too small, and play too similar games. If Oates does it to start a game, then I will admit I am wrong.

If he doesn't, then you are wrong.

Seems pretty simple.

Liberati0n*

I never proposed that pairing. This entire thing is beside the point. :shakehead

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
**** everybody. While we are healthy we should be good against any opponent.

I don't think we will win the Cup, but it's kind of possible.

But we will have our answers about Erat, Ribeiro, Perreault and some others. And about Oates.

Why bother about 1st round opponent?

Liberati0n*

You proposed Kundratek taking Olesky's spot. Where exactly would he have played in your hypothetical little scenario then, if not with Hillen? Carlson? Green?

Green and Alzner are a pair. Erskine and Carlson are the next 2. So....where, exactly?

The 2nd and 3rd pairings have been pretty fluid all year. The whole point was just to get Kundratek up to NHL speed in case he was needed in the playoffs.... Anyway, you're still just trying to recast the whole thing so it looks like you weren't discounting the RD/LD distinction. It's not that big of a deal.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Indeed. Far be it from me to take that from you. I fully apologize!

(and I too want them to play the Leafs, if we can. Leafs, Isles, Sens, Rags, for me)

Otherwise agree, tho Sens/Rags, a toss up for me. Clowe got hurt last game and we've had their playoff number (even last year except for that damned penalty).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Redux, as the last thread is at 1000 (or so). For those following at home:

***updated***

So the conventional thought process coming into the season was to avoid strong teams in the playoffs, and here we are, against the mighty Rangers.

We have seen this movie before.

Lets go Caps, I will update this thread, throughout the playoffs, hopefully for as long as it may last (I am a superstitious man!)

That said

All eyes on you, George

less than 36hrs to puck drop. Lets do this

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Indeed. Far be it from me to take that from you. I fully apologize!

(and I too want them to play the Leafs, if we can. Leafs, Isles, Sens, Rags, for me)

My ideal scenario

Beat the Rangers.

Beat the Bruins (Habs and Leafs would be good just b/c of Canadian hockey fan bipolarism)

Beat the Penguins. (This would be the ultimate matchup in the last 10 years for the NHL in my mind. I want a fully healthy Pens team vs a fully healthy Caps team).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad