Post-Game Talk: Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Thanks dude

I am sure many thought I was off my rocker thinking he needed to be moved. Starting after game 1 vs Montreal.

Just last night, his pass off RW to Nick for a can't miss tap in. that simple passing play never happened on the rush when he played LW. If Nick was a RH shot, moving Ovi may never have been needed. But I had seen both handcuffed on the rush for years, and Nick simply not feeding LW Ovi for countless one timers was an obvious sign of a simple problem to solve to expand both their games.

I totally did! I thought you were going on a curmudgeonary tangent and rambling about some obscure detail :)

There's no question Oates was a gamble, a risk... that seems to have paid off now. But lets not forget, we've seen this movie before. BB took over for Hanlon and pulled off this exact same act, almost identical. BB wasn't fired for bad regular seasons, it was playoff flameouts that ultimately cost him the room. Oates still needs to win in the playoffs to actually be better than what BB did here.

I for one, think he can. I think he's got them firing on all cylinders, no passengers, 100% compete level. I think that was always missing with previous coaches and rosters. Just having Sarge and WWW as regular healthy scratches is a huge step in the right direction, come playoffs.

Ultimately at this point, if they fail, the roster simply isn't Cup worthy, and thats on George.

Right. That was an element not always present.

Check this out: (Oates thoughts on Volpatti)

“We brought him in because of his skating ability, size and physical play. He hits guys,” Oates said. “When he finishes guys, they’re aware of him out there, and that’s an important contribution.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/capitals-watch/2013/apr/24/aaron-volpatti-has-nothing-complain-about-capitals/

Yep...looks like Oates "gets it"

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
When forwards finish checks, defensemen know this. They think about it. They often panic. Its why you forecheck in the first place. just skating towards someone scares no one.

Actually finishing checks is huge. Volpatti and Erat are 2 adds this year that do that. Hendricks just doesn't hit quite enough for my 4LW preference but does many other things of course.

That one turnover can be the difference between a series win and loss. Just last year, it was a 1 goal game, every game.

Look at how pounding and pressuring Green has had a huge hand in our playoff fates. Pitt of course, and even Montreal they bum rushed him for 2 critical goals including the eventual series winner in game 7.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That link to the Oates hiring had some gems in there. For what we've seen so far, does anyone wish we still hired Cooper? Genuinely interested. Personally, I don't think Oates could have done a better job this season except to take control of the PK a little earlier.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
When forwards finish checks, defensemen know this. They think about it. They often panic. Its why you forecheck in the first place. just skating towards someone scares no one.

Actually finishing checks is huge. Volpatti and Erat are 2 adds this year that do that. Hendricks just doesn't hit quite enough for my 4LW preference but does many other things of course.

That one turnover can be the difference between a series win and loss. Just last year, it was a 1 goal game, every game.

Look at how pounding and pressuring Green has had a huge hand in our playoff fates. Pitt of course, and even Montreal they bum rushed him for 2 critical goals including the eventual series winner in game 7.

I think because Hendricks may not be the best skater (his style is choppy) he picks his spots. When he does hit it's usually a big one. His post whistle stuff also makes up for that.

Ward however hardly hits.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think because Hendricks may not be the best skater (his style is choppy) he picks his spots. When he does hit it's usually a big one. His post whistle stuff also makes up for that.

Ward however hardly hits.

Agreed... although I never figured out why Hendricks can't "get in there". I will watch for that choppy stride. Ward doesn't hit, I liked Dale calling him out on it. George and Oates want hitters now.

Many are proposing Chimera bought out, but I think it may be Ward:

RW depth
Ovi
Brouwer
Ward
Fehr
Wilson
Latta
Beagle

LW Depth
Erat
MJ
Laich
Chimera
Hendricks - too expensive for a 4th liner.
Volpatti

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
You don't need to be the best player to have an impact, good or bad. At any given time there are usually 5 skaters on the ice. In games where 1 goal over 60 minutes can mean the difference between success and failure, every shift matters. And for each shift every skater represents 20% of the team at that given time (removing the obvious constant of the goalie).

So one player is 1/5th of your team at that moment. And those moments can make up 1/3 of the entire game for defensemen. That is more than enough to be significant.

So Schultz is 20% of the manpower on the ice and he plays less than 25% of a game so he's responsible for less than 5% of what is going on? Yeah that seems about right...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Am I the only one that sees Volpatti as the likely replacement for Hendricks?

Fedx2 I don't know demands but know if they were very cap friendly, the deal would have likely been done already.

Age 32 UFA, a good player that can scrap and play center, I see his demands as being towards the high side.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

No that is how I see it also if the plan is to try to bring back Ribeiro. If they don't think they are bringing back Ribeiro and are going to just go with one of Johansson, Laich, or Perreault at 2C then I could definitely see Hendricks back.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No that is how I see it also if the plan is to try to bring back Ribeiro. If they don't think they are bringing back Ribeiro and are going to just go with one of Johansson, Laich, or Perreault at 2C then I could definitely see Hendricks back.

This is pretty much my take but I feel that the plan is not to bring back Ribs unless things change between now and the end of the playoffs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Fedx2 I don't know demands but know if they were very cap friendly, the deal would have likely been done already.

Age 32 UFA, a good player that can scrap and play center, I see his demands as being towards the high side.

Volpatti doesn't have the same skillset. I don't see him as a Hendricks replacement.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Years of complaining about having Fleischmann/Laich/Johansson/Perreault/Morrison/Belanger as the 2C. One year of Ribeiro, and you guys are already ready to go back to that? :shakehead

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is pretty much my take but I feel that the plan is not to bring back Ribs unless things change between now and the end of the playoffs.

But But but...."we don't do rentals".....

That would be a horrible use of assets if he's going to let Ribs walk for nothing. I'm holding onto a sliver of hope that McPhee can't be THAT incompetent and they'll find a way to get the deal done.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So Schultz is 20% of the manpower on the ice and he plays less than 25% of a game so he's responsible for less than 5% of what is going on? Yeah that seems about right...

No, that's actually the opposite of what I said. All you're doing is bringing it back to an equal share per minutes and the overall roster. But that's not how it works.

AT THE TIME YOU ARE ON THE ICE you are 1/5 of the team, goalie aside. Your team is only 5 men deep at that moment, and if you have one bad player out there then 20% of your team at that moment is a serious weakness. And in a game where the difference between 2 goals and 3 goals a game is HUGE, that means a lot. One screw up per game on one of those shifts, and maybe you lose 2-3 instead of winning 3-2.

That does not mean 55 is the only reason for everything good or bad, but let's not understate just how meaningful and important it's been to have a major liability off the ice every single shift, every single game. You're only as strong as your weakest link, not your strongest, in a team sport.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
But But but...."we don't do rentals".....

That would be a horrible use of assets if he's going to let Ribs walk for nothing. I'm holding onto a sliver of hope that McPhee can't be THAT incompetent and they'll find a way to get the deal done.

By that definition then just about every UFA acquired at the TDL in all the years I've seen has been a "horrible use of assets" by one team.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
A guy like Schultz actually could have a huge influence on how the whole unit plays. He plays passive, so his partner is forced to also be conservative, and then it puts the forwards on their heels, as well. I absolutely believe that one guy who doesn't close down can tilt the whole ice against his unit. And if one unit of 5 gets caught on the defensive, that can give momentum to the whole opponents' team.

So simple 20% of 25% kind of estimate doesn't begin to describe what a passive player can do to a unit, IMO.

Actually, a guy like Ovi has always been guilty of it, as well. When the other team puts Ovi's line on the defensive, and Ovi is lazy to close guys down, it really helps the other team cycle in the Caps zone. Thankfully the players lining up against Ovi are usually more defensive minded, so they dont convert their chances very well and have to be wary of guarding against Caps' breakouts. But with Schultz, he kind of sucked at what is basically a d-man's bread and butter, and that was trouble.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
By that definition then just about every UFA acquired at the TDL in all the years I've seen has been a "horrible use of assets" by one team.

It's one thing if your team is a contender -- a completely different thing when you are team that's just trying to get its act together again.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Mathematics aside...

Schultz suffers from the same weakness that Wolski does. Their compete level, tenacity, sacrifice is just not there. Doesn't matter how much size, reach or skill you have.

One bad apple does spoil a whole bunch. Its been proven scientifically when it comes to fruit.

Its like dominoes..when one of these guys botches things due to half hearted effort the other guys try to do too much to cover up for them. It also sends a bad message up and down the lineup that it is OK to play half hearted.

We've seen alot of these kinds of players in DC through the years like Jeff Toms, James Black, Khristich, Berezin, etc etc

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Years of complaining about having Fleischmann/Laich/Johansson/Perreault/Morrison/Belanger as the 2C. One year of Ribeiro, and you guys are already ready to go back to that? :shakehead

Who said that? The point is that McPhee has to boot multiple players from the existing roster to make it happen. I think we all agree that Schultz should be one of them (assuming Ted is willing to buy him out, or George finds a trade partner).

McPhee made it clear with a 6-year deal that Laich is a core player. Nobody else but Ward makes enough, so he could be the odd man out. The question is if the projected upgrade from Laich/Perreault/whoever to Ribeiro is worth it. Are you convinced enough that Ribeiro is a fit to make that move?

Edit: Interestingly, I thought Ribeiro had faded down the stretch. He didn't. In fact, on a month-to-month basis, he's been remarkably consistent, with April being his 2nd best (and over PPG so far).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Who said that? The point is that McPhee has to boot multiple players from the existing roster to make it happen. I think we all agree that Schultz should be one of them (assuming Ted is willing to buy him out, or George finds a trade partner).

McPhee made it clear with a 6-year deal that Laich is a core player. Nobody else but Ward makes enough, so he could be the odd man out. The question is if the projected upgrade from Laich/Perreault/whoever to Ribeiro is worth it. Are you convinced enough that Ribeiro is a fit to make that move?

Edit: Interestingly, I thought Ribeiro had faded down the stretch. He didn't. In fact, on a month-to-month basis, he's been remarkably consistent, with April being his 2nd best (and over PPG so far).

Prior to the Fehr signing, I thought it might be possible to wiggle in Ribeiro while only losing Schultz and Chimera. Doesn't look as feasible now. That being said, the Fehr signing also makes it seem like the writing is on the wall with Ward. McPhee doesn't lock up Fehr for $1.5M if he's planning on keeping Ward. That's not a price you pay for someone you intend to play 4RW, even for McPhee.

I don't think that McPhee is going to move Laich. Not this early in that contract, not when his value is low coming off an injury, and not when we had so much trouble with the LW position this year (even with Erat, given that he's essentially a guarantee to miss 10-20 games per season).

I think the upgrade from Johansson/Perreault/Laich to Ribeiro is certainly enough to warrant the loss of Ward and/or Chimera up front and the contract he'll receive. Ribeiro has fit in well with the team, has been a key component of a successful powerplay, and finally helps provide some scoring balance for the first time since the President's Trophy season. He may decline soon, but I'd rather compete heavily the next couple seasons and then deal with an overpaid Ribeiro than hope that Johansson can continue to be a productive player at a different position with less skilled linemates or that Perreault is finally ready to take that next step.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
There's also the chance that GMGM knows of a trade that he wants to make during the offseason leading up to the draft. He doesn't want to be put in a situation where everyone knows we HAVE to shed salary, because that lowers his leverage.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
There's also the chance that GMGM knows of a trade that he wants to make during the offseason leading up to the draft. He doesn't want to be put in a situation where everyone knows we HAVE to shed salary, because that lowers his leverage.

I think it's pretty clear to anyone with even moderate intelligence that we need to cut salary.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think it's pretty clear to anyone with even moderate intelligence that we need to cut salary.

I think the point that Foy is making is that there's a difference between "need to cut salary" in order to construct the roster you want and being required by rule to cut salary to fit under the salary cap by the time the season starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00