Apr 2, 2013
God just roll with this if Laich is out

Ovi NB Fehr
Marjo Bura Brouwer
Chimera Kuz Ward
Taters Latta Brown

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Funny. My point was simple. Happy pointed to laich's 1 assist in five games as sarcastic proof that he was not playing well. I simply mention chimed also only has one point and that seems not to prove the same.

Yeah, except you are forgetting one small detail like salaries. If Chimmer was paid 4.5m, he'd invite a lot more scrutiny and would be expected to score more. So no, your "counterargument" does not hold water.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yeah, except you are forgetting one small detail like salaries. If Chimmer was paid 4.5m, he'd invite a lot more scrutiny and would be expected to score more. So no, your "counterargument" does not hold water.

That's not a detail regarding level of play in the least. It's a meaningless stick to beat a player with.

The counterargument absolutely holds water.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think it does. Salary means something in a capped league. Also, again, if part of the discussion is that Player A is dragging down Player B, then the stats they produce together have to be in that context.

Do I think all the anti-Laich comments are justified? Probably not. But many of the arguments for and against seem flimsy or contrarian.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I don't think it does. Salary means something in a capped league. Also, again, if part of the discussion is that Player A is dragging down Player B, then the stats they produce together have to be in that context.

Do I think all the anti-Laich comments are justified? Probably not. But many of the arguments for and against seem flimsy or contrarian.
Salary has absolutely no impact on performance.

When considering whether someone is playing well, "he makes $4.5M" is tangential, at best.

Halpysback*

Funny. My point was simple. Happy pointed to laich's 1 assist in five games as sarcastic proof that he was not playing well. I simply mention chimed also only has one point and that seems not to prove the same.

He was underperforming noticeably while stuck with Laich, now that he no longer has that anchor around his neck he's looked better.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
God just roll with this if Laich is out

Ovi NB Fehr
Marjo Bura Brouwer
Chimera Kuz Ward
Taters Latta Brown

Kuz didn't do well with the twins in the pre season from what I saw, would like to see Latta have a shot in that role I think he could be added to the list of people who excel there. Could help him take the next step.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Salary has absolutely no impact on performance.

When considering whether someone is playing well, "he makes $4.5M" is tangential, at best.

How do you figure? If Ovechkin were playing like Beagle every year would you never mention the salary difference? If you have two like players and one is making a lot more money, in a capped league, that's something to consider. Value for the dollar matters. A lot.

I think maybe you're overthinking this one.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think his contract has an impact on the salary cap. I think if he is playing well he is by definition bringing more than a Beagle like player. Johansson and Bura seemed to continue their growth with him on the wing.

After 5 games seeing him playing well indicates that a cap hit level performance may return.

I do think its funny that if your opinion is against throwing him under the bus you are a member of a cult. This board is a hoot. choose NOT to bash a given player and there is something wrong with you.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think his contract has an impact on the salary cap. I think if he is playing well he is by definition bringing more than a Beagle like player. Johansson and Bura seemed to continue their growth with him on the wing.

After 5 games seeing him playing well indicates that a cap hit level performance may return.

I do think its funny that if your opinion is against throwing him under the bus you are a member of a cult. This board is a hoot. choose NOT to bash a given player and there is something wrong with you.

If you are constantly defending a player and showing bias in his favor you are acting like a fanboy.

If you are constantly bashing a player and showing negative bias you are acting like a hater.

Last edited by a moderator:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
you forgot about the company line thing, goon. come on, man. get with the program.

I am not sure why there is any perceived bias on the part of Laich. I have little interest in him one way or the other. I find the criticism of him to be mobbish and over the top quite often.

I am not a fan of Johansson either. Green, I admit. My view on Green is that the Caps have decided not to keep him and are keeping him away from being the primary offensive defenseman. Just to be on record

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
That's not a detail regarding level of play in the least. It's a meaningless stick to beat a player with.

So your expectations of a player's production have nothing to do with the player's salary? If so, that's absurd, IMO.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

So the expectations for Laich and Chimera are the same? Points wise, etc?

If so, should they be? 2m vs 4.5m?

Come on

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

wat. The reason 4th liners are okay to have on your team is because they're paid like 4th liners. If they were paid more you'd expect more.

I'm so confused.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So the expectations for Laich and Chimera are the same? Points wise, etc?

If so, should they be? 2m vs 4.5m?

Come on

my comment was simple. he basically said the 1pt in 5 games isn't playing well. he didn't say isn't playing well for the money. I just pointed out people whining about laich haven't been whining about chimera who thru 4 games had no points at all.

I haven't seen anything to be disappointed about with Laich. cap hit or not. he put a puck in the net that didn't count v. fla. he was where he was supposed to be and made a good play on the puck.

so, I am not inclined or invested in Laich sucking. I am only invested in him not sucking because I want the team to do well. I don't care one way or the other with Laich. I just don't see the horrible play that those against him see.

its that simple.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
my comment was simple. he basically said the 1pt in 5 games isn't playing well. he didn't say isn't playing well for the money. I just pointed out people whining about laich haven't been whining about chimera who thru 4 games had no points at all.

I haven't seen anything to be disappointed about with Laich. cap hit or not. he put a puck in the net that didn't count v. fla. he was where he was supposed to be and made a good play on the puck.

so, I am not inclined or invested in Laich sucking. I am only invested in him not sucking because I want the team to do well. I don't care one way or the other with Laich. I just don't see the horrible play that those against him see.

its that simple.

I just don't find it a fair comparison. From the start. Chimera at 1pt is far easier to stomach at 2m a year, than Laich's 1pt at 4.5m a year. That's all.

To state salaries aren't relevant (not you, but others on here) is just to be contrarian vis a vis Laich.

My stance in him is "simple". Due to his injuries, he's not worth the money he's paid, and will probably never reach those levels again. I'd rather have a. 4.5m cap space accruing now, than Laich.

It's not about hate or bashing, he's just not what he used to be, and not why they signed him to that contract.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Due to "his injuries". See that's the thing I don't get. It was a single injury that they took too long to figure out how best to treat. But it was one injury. By all appearances his skating has returned to where it was.

as to the contract. wasn't he signed to that contract as a pending ufa? at the time wasn't th concensus that it was a market price contract? wasn't the lockout injury after the contract was signed?

iirc correctly there were some here that didn't want to resign him because they knew it would be too expensive and wanted to let him walk for nothing. which is ironic considering now walking for nothing became such a stick to beat McPhee with.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I just don't find it a fair comparison. From the start. Chimera at 1pt is far easier to stomach at 2m a year, than Laich's 1pt at 4.5m a year. That's all.

To state salaries aren't relevant (not you, but others on here) is just to be contrarian vis a vis Laich.

My stance in him is "simple". Due to his injuries, he's not worth the money he's paid, and will probably never reach those levels again. I'd rather have a. 4.5m cap space accruing now, than Laich.

It's not about hate or bashing, he's just not what he used to be, and not why they signed him to that contract.

I don't see how you can compare the two. The teams most effective and reliable line was shout down by Laich. As soon as he was moved off the 3rd line they turned it on.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
lets have some variety. eh? can we start complaining about the Caps being a mirage because of their lack of ROW? its proof that they really aren't any good. what say?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
lets have some variety. eh? can we start complaining about the Caps being a mirage because of their lack of ROW? its proof that they really aren't any good. what say?

I agree with this. We need moar indignant outrage about ROW.

Laich salary should be complained about more in this coming offseason.

Going to shootouts in 3 of the first 5 games is simply unacceptable!!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree with this. We need moar indignant outrage about ROW.

Laich salary should be complained about more in this coming offseason.

Going to shootouts in 3 of the first 5 games is simply unacceptable!!

Because an obviously bad team with a bad coach that's lucky to have so many points through November is not the same as an obviously better team with a new, experienced coach just getting things going in October.

Oh wait, you knew that and were just baiting people along with tx. Hhahahhhaa.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Due to "his injuries". See that's the thing I don't get. It was a single injury that they took too long to figure out how best to treat. But it was one injury. By all appearances his skating has returned to where it was.

as to the contract. wasn't he signed to that contract as a pending ufa? at the time wasn't th concensus that it was a market price contract? wasn't the lockout injury after the contract was signed?

iirc correctly there were some here that didn't want to resign him because they knew it would be too expensive and wanted to let him walk for nothing. which is ironic considering now walking for nothing became such a stick to beat McPhee with.

The number of injuries is not as important as the impact. Many people didn't like the signing. Next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad