Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Could the basis of a deal be Carlson + Brouwer for Couture + Braun?

Here's my thinking. With the signing of Niskanen the depth down the right side is really strong. It sucks to give up Carlson but Braun is a very underrated defender logging some heavy minutes last year and could fill the definsive load Carlson likely would've faced. If Caps still decides that Green isn't a longterm solution and want to trade him, Niskanen/Braun is still good enough for top-4 on the right side.
Couture gives the Caps cup worthy center depth, he's entering his prime and is signed longterm. The loss of Brouwer is covered by Ward/Fehr/Wilson.

Sharks can handle losing Couture because they have Thornton, Pavelski and Hertl down the middle and Carlson paired with Vlasic is instantaneously one of the top pairs in the league.
Brouwer also fills a need as they're low on top-6 wingers, especially if Burns is returned to defense.

The D-pairs would look something like
Alzner-Niskanen
Orpik-Green/Braun
Orlov-Braun/Green

And upfront you get better balance where you could roll something like
Ovi-Backstrom-Ward
Kuznetsov-Couture-Wilson
Laich-Johansson-Fehr
Chimera-Latta-Beagle
Which basically gives you 3 scoring lines consisting of a grinder, a sniper and a playmaker on each line.

Or you go with
Ovi-Couture-Wilson/Fehr
Kuznetsov-Backstrom-Fehr/Wilson
Chimera-Johansson-Ward
Laich-Latta-Beagle.

I don't know, I'm bored, is it October yet?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
no....period. the caps depth at RD is a strength but its pretty tenuous. Its depth based on one player at present. Meaning that one injury, and Green is injury prone, or one contract running out, and Green is on the last year of his deal, eliminates the depth.

I would not even consider it.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
no....period. the caps depth at RD is a strength but its pretty tenuous. Its depth based on one player at present. Meaning that one injury, and Green is injury prone, or one contract running out, and Green is on the last year of his deal, eliminates the depth.

I would not even consider it.

Niskanen, Green and Braun is still 3 top-4 RHD's. Orlov is also more comfortable on the right side and Bowey is likely only a year or two away from being an NHL-player.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Notes from VIP Barry Trotz and Assistants Meet and Greet/Chalk Talk last night attended by myself:

OV wing spot will be determined in pre-season. Will start at RW, but Trotz foresees a move to LW due to how the off-season went.

OV biggest improvement needed is moving his feet. Too much standing around last season (as has been said in the media).

Says his systems will focus on speed. Getting up fast and getting back fast.

All four coaches will be on the bench, which he says is a trend to look for in the NHL this season. In the past only a few teams may have had four guys on the bench, he thinks this season closer to a third of the teams will have four guys on the bench. Lane for Forward coaching, Todd for Defense coaching. Barry will handle the lines and assignments. Blaine will focus on any adjustments that need to be made and what the other team is doing.

Biggest disappointment since joining the Caps was the injury to Wilson. He was absolutely glowing when talking about Wilson. Says he definitely needs to play in top 9, but may get a slow start due to the injury. Mentioned his leadership and maturity, stating he had heard and confirmed that Wilson could very well be a future captain in the NHL.

Biggest good surprise was Mike Green. Had heard he was a quiet guy, but happily surprised with how vocal and in communication he has been. He has asked many questions and they have held multiple long conversations over phone, some of which Green initiated.

Mike Green and other offensively gifted Caps D will be given the green (no pun intended) light to jump up in the play more often. Says he was astounded at how little offense over the past couple of seasons was originated from the back-end. He said Green was very pleasantly surprised that Trotz would want him jumping up more. Mentioned less stressful minutes due to additions of Orpik and Niskanen should help him as well, but does need to get better around his own net.

He said he doesn't care a lot about Fancy Stats, but they can shed a light on things you hadn't noticed. He said no mater what the fancy stats say, at the end of a game he is going to have Backstrom on the ice, because he knows what he can do and he has seen it.

Does not foresee using a checking line role and says more and more NHL teams do not employ one.

PowerPlay will stay the same obviously, but hopes adding Todd Reirden to the staff will help fine tune it.

Lane Lambert will run the PK and work with the forward groups and says to expect a more aggressive penalty kill and he will focus on denying clean zone entries.

2nd Line center will be one of Kuznetsov, Johansson, Burakovsky, or Laich. Very excited about how well Burakovsky played in that role in the Dev Camp. If one of the younger guys does not grab the role then Laich can be a fall back. Blaine Forsythe will work with Centers, and PP. Has been working with Kuz this summer.

Expects Mitch Korn to get his own sitcom after 24/7. Said he is very funny and odd. Mitch is the best goalie coach in the world, used Carter Hutton, Tomas Vokoun, Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, and Pekka Rinne as evidence of Mitch's abilities.

Does not like playing young guys and rookies on the fourth line. Says he wants more established guys with families and kids on the 4th.

I think that's all.

edit: Oh yeah. Coaches have been in town recently together planning everything. Training camp groupings and schedule to when each player will be in which preseason games have already been planned. Says you must plan these things now, because injuries and good and bad play will necessitate changes to these plans. (Said he has Wilson in 3 preseason games with a bit of a smile)

On a side note, he said he loved coaching Matt Hendricks. Every team needs guys like him, but the fancy stats guys in Nashville said they needed to move him because his play was not good.

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I don't think that the PP staying the same is a big obviously. Carlson was the RD for most of the year last year. I wonder if that's what he actually meant.

Thank you for the writeup.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hunter with likely the best post of the summer. Hat Tip for sharing.

I am not surprised Green is reaching out to him. He is playing this year for a huge payday, and maybe his biggest contract.

It sure sounds like Ovi is heading to LW, to open up a spot for Wilson

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Here is the list of players I would trade John Carlson for:
You wouldn't trade Carlson for Doughty, Pietrangelo, or OEL?

I sense a bit of reluctance to jump on the analytics wagon.
Bit bummed about that. I was hoping he was willing to keep evolving with the times, like Quennville has in Chicago. Q really uses that stats to figure out his strengths and maximize the utility of his roster.

On the other hand, he does seem to be adopting some of the analytics-favored principles (no "checking line," focus on speed and possession, involving the defense in the play, allowing offensive defensemen to thrive against lower competition, etc).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I am not surprised Green is reaching out to him. He is playing this year for a huge payday, and maybe his biggest contract.

Green's always had a close relationship with coaches, as far as I'm aware (maybe not Hunter). Apparently he was still calling Bob Woods frequently even after he and Boudreau were fired (at least for a while).

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I don't think that the PP staying the same is a big obviously. Carlson was the RD for most of the year last year. I wonder if that's what he actually meant.

Thank you for the writeup.

I assumed he meant scheme, and it was Blaine talking. He basically said sarcastically that they were going to do a complete overhaul to laughs.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Green's always had a close relationship with coaches, as far as I'm aware (maybe not Hunter). Apparently he was still calling Bob Woods frequently even after he and Boudreau were fired (at least for a while).

Interesting, I never knew that, and actually kind of assumed the opposite, with exactly no information to support it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Interesting, I never knew that, and actually kind of assumed the opposite, with exactly no information to support it.

To be fair, my information is rather limited and through the grapevine (my mother taught Bob Woods' son and I met Green's old neighbor). Perhaps Boudreau/Woods were different since he knew them from the AHL as well.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Of the two impending possibilities, I'd rather have the #fancystats debate than move a bunch of posts to the other thread.

No that I have a say or anything, but I don't see any reason to move all of the posts regarding the Trotz comments. There is enough in there about Rost. Bldg./Acq. to make it ambiguous at worst. I could also be off base as to what you think you must move as well.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The logjam at RW, Fehr not getting mentioned as a center, Wilson in a top 9 role, I think its high time to start projecting Ovi at LW. And start including Burakovsky at center in some alternative line guesses, which changes everything. As does no checking line, and no kids on 4. #FamilyGuys.

Ovi Nick Brouwer
Kuz Burakovsky Ward
Laich MJ Wilson
Chimera Beagle Fehr

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Psyched on Burakovsky in development camp is still very premature for a 2014-15 roster spot (especially on opening night). Let's see how he does in big boys camp and the pre-season first.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Ward
Laich - Kuznetsov - Brouwer
Chimera - Johansson - Wilson
Brown - Beagle - Fehr

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He could get his 9 games. Maybe?

A team weakness remains center. Say Laich gets hurt. We are paper thin, pretty darn quick.

If he is a year away, I wonder why BigB bothered to mention him at a simple meet and greet for what had to largely be for the upcoming season only.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Psyched on Burakovsky in development camp is still very premature for a 2014-15 roster spot (especially on opening night). Let's see how he does in big boys camp and the pre-season first.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Ward
Laich - Kuznetsov - Brouwer
Chimera - Johansson - Wilson
Brown - Beagle - Fehr

Well, that's one way to ruin Kuz.

Love that first line though.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well, that's one way to ruin Kuz.

Love that first line though.

I don't. I think Ward is more of an opportunistic player. He's in the right place at the right time and has great hands. I believe he's better when he blends in with similar players and any one of them can sneak up on you. That's why he, Chimmer and Fehr worked so well together.

Ovechkin and Backstrom need a guy who can mix things up and force the opposition to pay attention, which frees up some space for 8 and 19. That could either be a blazing possession guy who creates a threat in his own right or a banger that will just create chaos. The top line with MJ90 on it failed miserably because MJ90 was neither of those things.

To me this is why you hope Wilson heals and develops quickly. Can you imagine a Lucic type player on that top line with them? A younger Knuble with more snarl? With whatever's left of the window for 8 and 19 you might have that opportunity in Wilson, and I think that's what Trotz sees.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->