Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXIV: Take Ted's Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If the alternative is Laich, I'd take Ribeiro short term.

After hearing all those noise about Ribs, and The Yotes decision to pay him to leave....this team needs to stay far away from Ribeiro.

I wanted them to sign Ribs long term during the lock out shortened season-- boy was i wrong. Thank god they didn't.

Unless Brian *knows* that Ribs has gotten legitimate help for his issues (whatever they are), Caps can't add that crap to their already less than stellar locker room.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
MJ is just not a top 6 forward. Its time for everyone to accept this. We need to look elsewhere for a 2C. I wonder how cheap ribs would be?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
After hearing all those noise about Ribs, and The Yotes decision to pay him to leave....this team needs to stay far away from Ribeiro.

I wanted them to sign Ribs long term during the lock out shortened season-- boy was i wrong. Thank god they didn't.

Unless Brian *knows* that Ribs has gotten legitimate help for his issues (whatever they are), Caps can't add that crap to their already less than stellar locker room.

Yeah, I get that. But short term, I don't mind a healthy amount of risk. It's a familiar environment where he didn't seem to have any major issues last time. Of course, we don't really know the extent of it, so I could be off by a mile.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Where are these teams full of 50+ point wingers?

Most of those points are leetched off of ovi's coattails. Hes not a finisher. How many gimme goals has he botched? Numerous. When hes centering a line, he creates no offense. And you cant say he hasnt gotten the chance. Hes a bottom six guy. Which is fine.

Klargplutte

Sep 15, 2012
Yeah, I get that. But short term, I don't mind a healthy amount of risk. It's a familiar environment where he didn't seem to have any major issues last time. Of course, we don't really know the extent of it, so I could be off by a mile.

Yeah if Ribs doesnt have a descent year somewhere this season hes career is most likely be over and he should be smart enough to see that , it seems longterm contracts messes up some people in one way or the other.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Most of those points are leetched off of ovi's coattails. Hes not a finisher. How many gimme goals has he botched? Numerous. When hes centering a line, he creates no offense. And you cant say he hasnt gotten the chance. Hes a bottom six guy. Which is fine.

He's 23.

Cheap,fast and good chemistry with the team. I thought he looked decent when Backstrom went out half a season. Injuries will happen and as it stands Johansson is the 2nd best playmaker the team had that it can put at center after Backstrom. Laich/Fehr are not pure passers and Kuznetsov is rather inexperienced.

I think it's fair to say let's see how this new staff uses him before showing him the door unless it's a clear upgrade in which he's part of a package.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No offense but those lines are garbage. MJ as a 1C makes me want to puke. That team limps into the playoffs if they are lucky.

No offense taken. There are 12000 possible line combos.

But Ovi has shown he doesn't need a 1C proper to pot his 50. Why give him Backstrom then, exactly?

I am just trying to make 2 scoring lines.

Where do you want to stash MJ, back on wing, or 2C/3C? MJ + Kuz = nope. I do like MJ as a 3C but he may be the closest thing we have to 2nd scoring C.

No MJ in the top 6 then it's back to Laich or Fehr as a scoring C.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Your sentence about him not creating offense as a center is wrong because we don't have a sample size large enough of 90 playing center to judge off of. He actually looked very comfortable at center when he was playing in between Ward and Chimmer, but so did everyone else so it's hard to judge. MJ90 is tailor made to be a center. A bottom 6 wing is the absolute last position he should be playing.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm genuinely curious why people say that Johansson is made to be a center. Is it his size? His compete level? His defense? His physicality? His creativity (drop pass, drop pass, drop pass etc.)? His faceoff ability? His strength in traffic? His ability to establish the offensive zone (drop pass turnover after drop pass turnover)?

The guy went 2-21-23 skating with Ovechkin and Backstrom at even strength over a full season as a 4th year North American pro. He is a leech that can't even leech at even strength. He's the guy I most expect to take a downturn under Trotz.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
IMO his skating, positional awareness on both sides of the puck, and passing/play making abilities make him a much better centerman than a winger. His game just looks so much more natural to me when playing center than when on the wing.

IMO the only real potential problem with him playing center is taking draws but there is no law that says centerman have to always take the draws and if he is paired with a winger so is decently strong at them, read Browuer, this becomes less of an issue IMO.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Where are these teams full of 50+ point wingers?

Are we talking about Mike Green? He made a lot of fall in love with him making a 15 foot pass to OV.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt · 2m
Trotz on Burakovsky: "I don't have a plan for anybody" this soon into #Caps tenure, but basically said he'd either be in DC or Hershey.

tmljeh19*

No offense taken. There are 12000 possible line combos.

But Ovi has shown he doesn't need a 1C proper to pot his 50. Why give him Backstrom then, exactly?

I am just trying to make 2 scoring lines.

Where do you want to stash MJ, back on wing, or 2C/3C? MJ + Kuz = nope. I do like MJ as a 3C but he may be the closest thing we have to 2nd scoring C.

No MJ in the top 6 then it's back to Laich or Fehr as a scoring C.

He should be a problem for another team to figure out. Not us. Mojo is the biggest sore thumb to me on this team. He isn't a 1W. He isn't a 2C. He's wasting any value he has. Force feeding him at 2C for a year is a complete waste in my opinion. We aren't rebuilding and letting him sink/swim at 2C while wasting a year not filling that position for good is an awful way to let things play out. I'm tired of wasting years off of Ovi and Nick. We finally addressed the open wound on D but are we really ok with letting the gaping hole at 2C fester all year AGAIN?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm genuinely curious why people say that Johansson is made to be a center. Is it his size? His compete level? His defense? His physicality? His creativity (drop pass, drop pass, drop pass etc.)? His faceoff ability? His strength in traffic? His ability to establish the offensive zone (drop pass turnover after drop pass turnover)?

The guy went 2-21-23 skating with Ovechkin and Backstrom at even strength over a full season as a 4th year North American pro. He is a leech that can't even leech at even strength. He's the guy I most expect to take a downturn under Trotz.

Errr. No one was scoring at even strength. I think Backstrom had all of 28 points or something at ES or something like that.

Mojo is hated on because he's not a big grinding monster. People fail to see the value he does hold.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I read the Burakovsky quote to mean that there's a legitimate chance he makes the roster; otherwise, why mention DC unless maybe motivation?

Would jibe with the idea that some wing salary is on the way out for a C (which I guess is back on now that Wilson's not expected to miss time).

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Errr. No one was scoring at even strength. I think Backstrom had all of 28 points or something at ES or something like that.

Mojo is hated on because he's not a big grinding monster. People fail to see the value he does hold.

It's not difficult to look up that Backstrom had 35 even strength points. Ovechkin and Backstrom suffered at even strength in large part due to Johansson. Scoring 2 goals with those linemates is completely unacceptable.

Liberati0n*

It's not difficult to look up that Backstrom had 35 even strength points. Ovechkin and Backstrom suffered at even strength in large part due to Johansson. Scoring 2 goals with those linemates is completely unacceptable.

Johansson sucked at ES, but let's not pretend for a second Backstrom didn't blow too. Fixing that is pretty important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad