Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXI: The Trotzification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
How often do quality for quantity deals work out?

If you're asking for comparables, I don't know of any off the top of my head (in the salary cap era in hockey). But pre-cap and in other sports, superstar for multiple quality assets has seen some success (not that trading is ever a sure thing). I'll point to the Lindros deal in hockey and the Herschel Walker deal in football.

Generally quality for quantity doesn't work because the "quantity" pieces are depth/fringe/risk pieces. That's not the case when trading a superstar (or you keep the superstar).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The Nash trade has to be the best recent example of a franchise cornerstone moving for quality and that team being better off for having done so. Ovechkin is on another level so it's hardly comparable--since Nash shouldn't have been their foundational piece to begin with--but teams that move the best single asset in a trade can come out for the better. It would take a hell of an offer, though, and even then I tend to doubt ownership would okay it unless things really go sideways with Trotz.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Why? Johansson should be playing center. His game is much more tailored to being a pivot as opposed to a winger.

Do you envision Johansson's game ever reaching the level of compete that you saw from the two teams that just participated in the SC finals? Cause I don't!

Liberati0n*

I have never seen Fabbri play, and I've only seen Burakovsky a limited amount, mostly in the WJC. I don't like the Burakovsky/Johansson comparison at all. Burakovsky is only slightly taller, but his frame looks broader and his body language is just totally different. When I've seen Burakovsky, I've been impressed with his sense/vision, and he reminds me a little of Semin. Granted, fedfed and Langway both know what they're talking about much better in this area, but I don't look at Burakovsky and see a one- or two-trick pony at all.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ales Hemsky was injury-prone even before I became a hockey fan.

Still why not? I imagine he isn't going to command crazy money. Short term contract would be a bridge for the time Kuznetsov will grow in his own power.

Their words on Green could be dictated by the Orlov's injury. Nothing for certain there imho.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Fortunately, it will not be MacLellan's decision as to who plays 2C or where butter boy fits in on this team. All those decisions will and should be Trotz's.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
BMac figures to be working on trades right now. In about 2 weeks we ought to have an early indication of his abilities. Does he have a vision for the team? Does he have the necessary skills to implement his plan? Or is he a mere flunky for Ted n' Dick?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Do you envision Johansson's game ever reaching the level of compete that you saw from the two teams that just participated in the SC finals? Cause I don't!

I have no idea. He looked very good as a center between Chimmer and Ward, but so did everyone else. I think MaJo could be very effective as a 2C with bigger bodies who will bump and do the corner work. If we don't sign Grabo and don't sign anyone, I'd like to see:

Ovie-Nick-Brouwer/Fehr
Fehr/Brouwer-MaJo-Wilson/Ward
Chimmer-Laich-Ward/Wilson

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Assuming no forward acquisitions or trades, Grabovski out, and everybody healthy, I'd like to see

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Brouwer
Laich - Johansson - Wilson
Chimera - Kuznetsov - Ward
Fehr - Latta - Brown

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I'd trade MAJO for Brassard in a nano second. Doubt Sather would be on board though.

Brassard scored 6 goals in 23 playoff games this go around. He was just 2 shy of matching what MAJO did in the regular season.

I thought we were talking about compete level. I brought up a guy with a similar play style to Marcus with past observations of lacking compete level. I never thought Brassard had the compete level to play for a Cup on a team like the Rangers, I was wrong. So yes, I could now see Marcus playing for a Cup just like Derick Brassard.

If we want to talk about about stats, don't. Marcus has been playing out of position in a style that he is not suited and still mustered one point less than Brassard this season. Run and gun winger, okay, Grind in the corners winger, Marcus is not.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Kuznetsov at 3C? I'd rather swap him and Laich.

Laich is more geared to complement Johansson, as a bigger body who can work the boards and more of a shoot-first player. The healthy version of Laich is a solid (if unspectacular) 2LW and has the speed to keep up with Johansson on the rush.

Meanwhile, Kuznetsov develops at C on a third scoring line that's proven to help develop people at C (see Fehr). Chimera as the speedster takes most of the initial big hits, and the cycling ability creates space for Kuznetsov's creativity.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I thought we were talking about compete level. I brought up a guy with a similar play style to Marcus with past observations of lacking compete level. I never thought Brassard had the compete level to play for a Cup on a team like the Rangers, I was wrong. So yes, I could now see Marcus playing for a Cup just like Derick Brassard.

If we want to talk about about stats, don't. Marcus has been playing out of position in a style that he is not suited and still mustered one point less than Brassard this season. Run and gun winger, okay, Grind in the corners winger, Marcus is not.

Then go ahead and float the proposal on the trade board. I'd be curious what the response would be.

BTW, physical/tight checking game is not suited for Marcus and that's pretty much the style in the playoffs especially as you go deeper. Johansonn has skills, but he has to have time and space to show those skills, you don't get that luxury in the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A slight difference in transparency between McPhee and MacLellan...

possibly. we need to see action that follows the statements in order to know more.

when in his opening vogel interview he said. "if there's something that makes sense that makes the team better....", I thought, wow...gm speak right out of the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad