Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXI: The Trotzification

Status
Not open for further replies.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I also have Oates PTSD and I'm fixated on handedness..

Carlson and Green are RHRD. I think Orlov is better on the right.

Stralman and Niskanen are RHRD.

Phaneuf is a LHRD.
Thats why I want to go after either one of Stralman and Niskanen as replacements for Green. Orlov could play over there...but whatever.

He's either going to get traded or leave via UFA....so its time to get the replacement now and stock up the D while the money is there.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
What's Stralman looking at? The Flyers just ****ed the league with the MacDonald crap they pulled. $6 x 3? $5 x 7?

Thats why I want to go after either one of Stralman and Niskanen as replacements for Green. Orlov could play over there...but whatever.

He's either going to get traded or leave via UFA....so its time to get the replacement now and stock up the D while the money is there.

I'm fully on board with moving on from Green. It's just that...I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Amazing how the league locked out and lost half a season due in large part to inflated contracts yet here we are looking at another summer of inflated contracts.

Very interested to see what happens with Markov. I prefer to let everyone else fight over Stralman and Niskanen and go after Fayne.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think dipping into free agency leads to overpayment, and really limits ones options since supply is so low. The recent overpaid guy often has fat cat disease out of the gate.

I want to see BM try and make a roster trade. A blockbuster. Old School. Take a chance. He can't do much worse than 0 cups in 40 years.

I was not disappointed in the big deals made under Poile.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I think dipping into free agency leads to overpayment, and really limits ones options since supply is so low. The recent overpaid guy often has fat cat disease out of the gate.

I want to see BM try and make a roster trade. A blockbuster. Old School. Take a chance. He can't do much worse than 0 cups in 40 years.

I was not disappointed in the big deals made under Poile.
I think we all do...but we're not holding our breath.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think we all do...but we're not holding our breath.

I am not sure the numbers and my memory back it up, but it seems like the days of the blockbuster deals have long passed. If it weren't for Philly, the well would be dry.

Langway Engblom for Walter and Green. The original Captain America Bobby Carpenter, bye bye. Gartner, gone. We lived because our GM saw guys peaking and passing their primes, and he pulled the trigger.

81-2-23.jpg

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I am not sure the numbers and my memory back it up, but it seems like the days of the blockbuster deals have long passed. If it weren't for Philly, the well would be dry.

Langway Engblom for Walter and Green. The original Captain America Bobby Carpenter, bye bye. Gartner, gone. We lived because our GM saw guys peaking and passing their primes, and he pulled the trigger.

81-2-23.jpg

Hey don't forget Doug Jarvis and Craig Laughlin. As I recall Engblom didn't stay around that long.

Thought the Boston-Dallas trade involving Seguin and Erickson was somewhat of a blockbuster.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hey don't forget Doug Jarvis and Craig Laughlin. As I recall Engblom didn't stay around that long.

Thought the Boston-Dallas trade involving Seguin and Erickson was somewhat of a blockbuster.

Locker never left! :laugh:

Jarvis has been a darkhorse candidate to me for a coaching spot here for many years now.

Engblom moved onto LA but helped turn this franchise around.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Amazing how the league locked out and lost half a season due in large part to inflated contracts yet here we are looking at another summer of inflated contracts.

Very interested to see what happens with Markov. I prefer to let everyone else fight over Stralman and Niskanen and go after Fayne.

I think its a different sort of inflated ufa contracts. there are fewer and fewer ufa's. the situation changed enough that teams lock up their players. UFA's are either over the hill or injured or like Stralman a player that stepped up a level of play at the last moment.

the days of blockbusters are past. seguin/ericksson is pretty tame compared to the carpenter/ridley or Langway deal.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Trade for Ehrhoff, sign Fayne, resign Grabovski, Wilson in Hershey.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Brouwer
Laich - Grabovski - Kuznetsoz
Chimera - Latta - Ward
Brown - Beagle - Fehr

Ehrhoff - Carlson
Alzner - Green
Orlov - Fayne

Don't know how that works with the salary cap but make it work GMBM.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Wilson has earned a spot. It may have been a mistake to have him in the NHL last year but I don't think it was. I think it would definitely be a mistake to send him to the AHL now. Young players are known to not react well to "demotions". Wilson did exactly what was asked of him last year.

The mistake wasn't leaving him in the NHL - it was playing him with duds and putting him in a role where he couldn't put his offensive skills to use. Tom should be on the 2nd line this year and on a line with players who can manage the puck and create offense.

Trade Brouwer - I like him but IMO, it's either him or Wilson.

Ovie-Backstrom-JoJo
Kuznetsov-Grabo-Wilson
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Some Scrub like Cleary-Beagle-Fehr

Then we'll have around $10m to chase a 1D and a backup goalie.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think he gets a bigger role this season in DC. We'll see.

But yeah. If no top six...Hershey does make sense.

I think a 3rd line position that comes with second tier special teams minutes is the right slot for him. Ward on the 3rd line might open a slot on the 2.

I do kind of like the idea of Chimera-Legwand-Wilson as a 3rd line.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
you'd think trotz wants to keep ward making brouwer the odd man out.

If Trotz returns Ovechkin to the left side, then Brouwer would not be the odd man out. The right side would be comprised of Brouwer, Fehr, Ward and Wilson (still think Wilson might be better off starting in Hershey for experience/minutes purposes).

On another note, under the heading of dumpster diving:
David Booth anyone? Caps have been weak on the left side. Just waived for buy-out purposes with 4.5 left on his contract. Wonder if he's attainable for 2.
Also I see Vokoun as the possible back-up behind Holtby. Vokoun had planned on retiring after the 2013/14 season but that was before he was injured last year. Now he apparently wants to push the retirement back a year and re-up for one more year in the NHL. Has a history with Trotz and Korn in Nashville as well as the Caps. Sign him for around 1.75?

BondraEra

Jun 6, 2010
Trade for Ehrhoff, sign Fayne, resign Grabovski, Wilson in Hershey.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Brouwer
Laich - Grabovski - Kuznetsoz
Chimera - Latta - Ward
Brown - Beagle - Fehr

Ehrhoff - Carlson
Alzner - Green
Orlov - Fayne

Don't know how that works with the salary cap but make it work GMBM.

And then Wilson in DC, once Laich gets hurt.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
If Trotz returns Ovechkin to the left side, then Brouwer would not be the odd man out. The right side would be comprised of Brouwer, Fehr, Ward and Wilson (still think Wilson might be better off starting in Hershey for experience/minutes purposes).

On another note, under the heading of dumpster diving:
David Booth anyone? Caps have been weak on the left side. Just waived for buy-out purposes with 4.5 left on his contract. Wonder if he's attainable for 2.
Also I see Vokoun as the possible back-up behind Holtby. Vokoun had planned on retiring after the 2013/14 season but that was before he was injured last year. Now he apparently wants to push the retirement back a year and re-up for one more year in the NHL. Has a history with Trotz and Korn in Nashville as well as the Caps. Sign him for around 1.75?

Yeah - I think Booth might be worth a shot if we can shelter his minutes and help him get his confidence back. Not sure about Vokoun but if he's healthy, sure.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You'd think...but do you know? No. None of us do. Maybe he hates Ward and was fine not re-signing him in Nashville.

Trade either one...I'm fine with that.

who knows. trotz did comment about ward in his intro presser in a positive way. that's all ive seen/heard.

brouwer would be a sell high too, though. frankly I don't think either gets traded, but u support brouwer being the guy and then let ward run his course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad